I might buy a 2009 or 2010 Rogue this weekend. Do you recommend or not?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
max_t

From scanning the forum I see that there may be problems with the transmission. In your opinion is there a good chance I'll have to deal with that, or is that something I probably have a 5% chance to have to deal with. I do think the Rogue looks nice and handles well. Reliability is also what I think I'm paying for in comparison to other makers, but I'd like to know what you think. Is this a purchase that you would recommend? Is there anything I should watch out for?

max_t

also do you think the CVT problem is less likely with the 2010?

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Nissan has stated that the CVT had a small weakness in 2008, but it was redesigned to address the weakness in 2009. I'd say you have nothing to worry about, with confidence. They sell tens of thousands of these vehicles each year in North Amercia, and many more thousands in Europe and Japan, all with the same CVT. Also, all Nissan cars come with CVT tranny, and the Jeep Patriot and Compass also use the Nissan/Jatco CVT. The CVT is MORE reliable than conventional transmissions from Ford, Chrysler etc.. If you buy one of those you stand a good chance of having tranny problems at some point, and if it happens would you say "damn conventional transmission, I'll never buy one again!!!" You get my point? Good luck with the decsion, I'm very happy with my Rogue, above average build quality and a much better price than Toyota.

rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

I like and enjoy my 08 Rogue sl awd. 37000 miles and no transmission problems.

crayb
Car: 09 Rogue SL Fwd (Prem,Lther,Snrf), 11 Hyundai Sonata SE, 04 Lexus RX330, 92 Mazda Miata C 5spd

The majority of problems have been with the AWD transmissions.

Ray

maverick_rogue
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 FWD

Hello,

You are right, Nissan Rogue 2008 and to some extent 2009 models have had this issue of Transmission noise. But it appears that Nissan has resolved the issue.

A good indication of of this is the thread on Tranny noises in this forum. You will notice that activities in such threads has tapered down with time.

I have spent a considerable amount of time worrying about this issue, being paranoid about every noise from every part of my 2009 Rogue. But realized that there is nothing to worry about. Once I crossed that barrier it did not take much time for me to realize, Nissan Rogue is that best car I have ever bought.

If needed , I will not hesitate to buy another Rogue. Every car ever built has and will have one or the other issue. RAV 4 and CRV forums are full of issues and many such discussions are as intense as the one we have had on this tranny issue. What matters the most is , what are the chances of having any issue and then getting it resolved. And statistically, they are very high in case of Nissan Rogue.

These are just my two cents. Happy shopping.

mfsn

Definitely not. I own a 2009/SL/AWD Rogue and I've had nothing but headaches with it:

- Pervasive scratches on the doorsill;- Slow crank or doesn't start at low temperatures (embarassing);- Leaking water thorugh the hatch door (when it rains you will notice it);- Gas cap replaced and service light keeps coming on;- Spring release (sligshot) noise when start driving;- City gas mileage always below 21 mpg;- Tire low pressure;- Squeaky noise coming from the seatbelt latch (this will drive you nuts);- Expensive maintenance;- Engine sounds like a 2-stroke boat;

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

mfsn wrote:Definitely not. I own a 2009/SL/AWD Rogue and I've had nothing but headaches with it:

- Pervasive scratches on the doorsill;- Slow crank or doesn't start at low temperatures (embarassing);- Leaking water thorugh the hatch door (when it rains you will notice it);- Gas cap replaced and service light keeps coming on;- Spring release (sligshot) noise when start driving;- City gas mileage always below 21 mpg;- Tire low pressure;- Squeaky noise coming from the seatbelt latch (this will drive you nuts);- Expensive maintenance;- Engine sounds like a 2-stroke boat;
Wow... 2009 Rogues still have a high resale value. My suggestion would be to sell it now and cut your losses while you can. Based on your experiences its evident you are never going to grow to love your Rogue. If you search the forums on "any" car...no matter the cost or performance features... there will always be someone who is disappointed. NET: If there was a perfect car on the market...everyone would be driving the same car. I find if you really love the car you tend to dismiss some of its short comings.

- Pervasive scratches on the doorsillWhile an unfortunate design (and too late if the damage its done), for those concerned there have been multiple threads on how to prevent this from occurring.

zerothread?id=331851http://forums.nicoc ... ?id=365803

- Engine sounds like a 2-stroke boat (the sound of the engine is never going to change. Its a 4 cylinder and will never sound like a V8 even if you install a CAI (cold air intake)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-pr3OIhUuI

City gas mileage always below 21 mpg This has also been discussed (I myself have reported the same thing) However may Rogue owners report the gas mileage sees an significant improvement after the vehicle breaks in (somewhere around 6,000 miles) Some of the older Rogues are now seeing 27mpg on a regular basis with highway driving and slightly less in the city. All my driving is city... I'm averaging 22mpg but I only have 3,000 miles on it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Slow crank or doesn't start at low temperatures (embarassing) Very unfortunate, another member reported the same problem sometime back. zerothread?id=397611

Gas cap replaced and service light keeps coming on

Bummer... also been discussed. Seems some people are affected by this problem (but most aren't). While the replacing the gas cap has been known to fix the problem in some cases... see the response by denrama in this thread. He said his service light problem was fixed by a firmware update at the dealership.

zer...89177

Leaking water thorugh the hatch door (when it rains you will notice it) This is a new one on me. (Although I know some Muranos had a similar problem with rear hatch leaks) I'm beginning to wonder if your Rogue was built on a Monday morning after a long weekend of partying.

Expensive maintenance Hmmm... I'm afraid this is relative.. What I've experience is warranty repairs are free... none warranty repairs are serviced at a per hour rate comparable to all the other dealerships in the area (with the exception of Mercedes and Jaguar which tend to have a higher dollar per hour rate)

philipa_240sx

max_t,

There are several changes to the 2010 models as compared to 2009. Nissan changed and deleted some of the equipment on the 2010 models. Please read the following thread for more information as you may prefer the 2009 spec model instead:

zer...anges

tugger812
Car: 09 Rogue SL AWD Wicked Black with MoonRoof, premium pkg. & Black Leather

Get the 09!!I love mine!

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

We're very happy with our 08 SL AWD.

trusty_getto
Car: Nissan Rogue

I've had mine almost two years, 2008 version AWD, now 70K+ miles,

AND I LOVE IT!!!!!

Buy one right away. This is the most trouble-free car I've ever had.

koolyce
Car: Rogue SL AWD 2009

I have an 09 SL AWD and love it, but I found the fuel consumption a bit high.

I drive the same since the beginning and now, I dow around 21mpg, not higher.

During the breaking period, I did around 23-24mpg...

2009 Indigo Blue
Car: Indigo Blue 2009 Rogue S FWD

I've had my 09 rogue a year & I'm still loving it! It's a pleasure to drive everyday!

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

I will have my 2008 Rouge SL FWD base model for 2 years next month (November 20). I've got 47000 miles on it and have had no problems.

Return to “Rogue Forum”