I just joined the club!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
a1ek5ant3ri
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

Last Wednesday I picked up this 1990 Q45 with 127k miles.

Exteriors is in really good condition, the interior is almost showroom. According to the previous owner it would stall out at 3-4 mph. He got fed up with shops being unable to fix it, even swapping transmissions, so he stuck it in his "barn" 10 years ago. After a test drive, it didn't appear to have any stalling issues, so I handed over $1000, pulled the drive shaft, and loaded it on a dolly for the 4 hour drive home. He even threw in an extra transmission.

Once we got it back to the shop and up on the lift, we could start finding what was wrong with it. At first glance, it seemed like I would need to address the following:
1. Plastic chain guides and tensioners (kit on the way)
2. Power steering leak (rusted lines)
3. No rear brakes (rusted lines)
4. Transmission/Stalling issues
5. Half a tank of 10 year old gas
6. New oil, plugs, and filters
7. Warped front rotors
8. Awful stick on "wood" trim (most is pulled out now)
9. Significant exhaust leak
10. Drive shaft vibration

The first things we address were the power steering lines and the exhaust leaks. There were a few pinhole leaks, but the majority of the noise was coming from under the heatshields between the resonators and the cats. Pulling them off revealed waterlogged insulation and exhaust pipe that looked like a sieve.

So we cut out the bad section:

And welded in some new pipe:

Now you can hardly tell it's running. Next up were the rusted-through power steering lines. Apparently the part is no longer available, so we had to improvise. Using brake line and the recycled fittings, we made up some new lines:

The power steering held for a while, but it's leaking from somewhere again.

The engine wouldn't start up the first time we tried it (probably flooded it accidentally), but it worked fine the next morning. Except that it stalled at 3-4 mph. After letting it warm up, there were no issues. Driving it, it wouldn't shift out of second gear. This problem went away after reading and clearing the codes. Now it shifts fine, if a little slow. I hope new a new transmission filter and fluid will help with this.

We hooked 12V up to the fuel pump, rid it of its old fuel, and filled it up with some premium. After running some Seafom, it seems to be running better, but not at its full potential.

Now that it's somewhat running, I can move on to my future plans!

1. Run more Seafoam, change the timing chain and guides, oil, oil filter, fuel filter and plugs.
2. Fix power steering leaks and replace rusted brake lines. Maybe replace warped rotors. Bypass "Word Brakepad" warning.
3. Z32TT 5 Speed swap. We'll probably try to make the adapter ourselves and avoid using any spacers.
4. ITB setup. Using throttle bodies from a sport bike and some sort of standalone ECU, unless the NismoTronic starts supporting VH45DE.

That's all for now. I've already gleaned tons of useful information from this forum and hope to contribute some in the future. If anyone needs an auto transmission in the SE Ohio area, I can cut you a deal.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Welcome to NICO!! Sounds like a fun project..

If you want help with an adapter, I sell one that does not require any spacers or bellhousing machining.. :)

Are you getting any codes, like perhaps a code 34 for the knock sensors?

a1ek5ant3ri

I checked the codes again after a little driving and I just got the 55 code. It's possible I haven't driven it enough to throw new codes.

I have access to equipment to make the adapter, but I'm not sure how complicated it will be yet. If like to at least five it a try, but I may end up using your adapter.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

It's going to be fun watching you restore this Q!

Heath

a1ek5ant3ri

After 21 hours, the timing chain and guide change is reaching its midpoint. Do to some hiccups and inexperience, it's taking longer than expected. The most interesting discovery was a rocker arm sitting in the top of the head, left their either fun the factory or by the dealer.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

interesting indeed. but all 32 rockers are still installed (this would be #33?)
There are so few early VH45DEs with full plastic guides that are still running remaining it would be nice to see some pictures.
don't forget the oil pump guide, and also that you MUST achieve 270 lb-ft on the crank bolt on re-assembly.
There has been more than one guy fixed his guides only to lose the motor due to low/no oil pressure after getting it all back together.

a1ek5ant3ri

There are 32 rocker arms, but one had fallen out (unlikely) or just been left inside but not installed. There was minimal scoring in the cam that we carefully filed the burr off.

The guides look almost perfect, especially the purely plastic ones, as do the chains. I'll go into more depth and pay pictures when the car's back together.

a1ek5ant3ri

It's done. The car runs and there hasn't been any catastrophic failure. It doesn't want to idle which is hopefully from the vacuum leak (brakes are even worse than before). I'll put up some pictures and insights into the process and the condition of the guides (they looked brand new, for the most part). Approximately 36 hours total but it's done.

jrw1621
Car: '90 Q45

Were to start? I guess welcome would be the best place.

As you will see in this thread,
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ ... 034/page3/
I had highly considered looking at that very car after returning from The Grassroots Motorsports $2014 Challenge (without my Q45.)

What are your plans for the car?
Please consider bringing it to The $2015 Challenge!
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2186/

a1ek5ant3ri

Lets play "What's wrong with this picture."
Round One:

Round Two:

Close up of the gouged cam. We used a file to gently remove the burr:

Had to make improvised guide bushings and bolts using some VW parts. The heads on the driver's side were ground for clearance.

The plastic guides look and feel very strong. It might be the case that they were replaced at some point, but I would expect that the updated guides would have been used.

So, the vacuum leak was small and is fixed, but it is still running rough at idle. The car is at my friend's place and he checked the temperatures of the cylinder banks: 270 on the driver's side, 70 on the passenger side. So the mighty VH45DE is an I4 currently. Once the revs are up to around 1500 rpm, the engine is smooth. We don't think we messed up the timing, we made sure the key was in the same place the second time we set the timing after it jumped with the covers off. The second bank was set 120 degrees from the first. It could potentially be the hydraulic lash adjusters. Compression goes from 10 to 160 from adding oil to the cylinders. I'm really hoping that it's something that won't require another 20+ hours under the hood.

jrw, I hope you returned sans Q45 after finding it a new owner. This Q is mint and definitely would be a great candidate for the $2015 challenge. The interior is like new and could definitely be sold off recouping the maximum possible. But I'm not touching it! The owner said scrapyards were making offers just to get the engine out of it, but he didn't want to see it scrapped. I'm going to try to get it running perfect and use it as a daily. Luckily I don't drive very much, with the cost of fuel for this beast!

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

a1ek5ant3ri wrote:Lets play "What's wrong with this picture."
Round One:

Round Two:

So, the vacuum leak was small and is fixed, but it is still running rough at idle. The car is at my friend's place and he checked the temperatures of the cylinder banks: 270 on the driver's side, 70 on the passenger side. So the mighty VH45DE is an I4 currently. Once the revs are up to around 1500 rpm, the engine is smooth. We don't think we messed up the timing, we made sure the key was in the same place the second time we set the timing after it jumped with the covers off. The second bank was set 120 degrees from the first. It could potentially be the hydraulic lash adjusters. Compression goes from 10 to 160 from adding oil to the cylinders. I'm really hoping that it's something that won't require another 20+ hours under the hood.

jrw, I hope you returned sans Q45 after finding it a new owner. This Q is mint and definitely would be a great candidate for the $2015 challenge. The interior is like new and could definitely be sold off recouping the maximum possible. But I'm not touching it! The owner said scrapyards were making offers just to get the engine out of it, but he didn't want to see it scrapped. I'm going to try to get it running perfect and use it as a daily. Luckily I don't drive very much, with the cost of fuel for this beast!
looks like some dirtbag removed the cams and replaced the bearing caps with impunity.
Is the side with the missing rocker the passenger side? Mixed up caps i'm guessing is the driver's side from orientation of the upper chain rubbing block. Maybe a wrong camshaft was installed at some point? but if all of 2,4,6,8 show low compression (have you checked that all of 1,3,5,7 have good compression (would seem so, just looking for data/insight), then i would tend to go toward valve timing being slightly off. 10 to 160 is quite a bit--how much oil was put in each hole?

oh, also meant to say that the engine looks quite clean as far as varnish--nice!

a1ek5ant3ri

The misplaced caps are on the driver's side and the out of place rocker arm is on the passenger side. There was blue/grey RTV on everything, so I figure the error was made in the factory or more likely by the dealer.

We triple checked the timing marks, but a mistake still could have been made. The car is at my friends place. He's looking at it and seems to think there are two timing marks on the exhaust camshaft gear. He has a lot more experience working with cars than I and has been hugely helpful since finding the car on CL.

The engine is in amazing condition. Practically zero varnish, the pistons only have a speckling of carbon and the chain looked brand new. I'm excited to get it running properly and see what it can do with all 32 valves operating!

a1ek5ant3ri

Heard back from my friend. Compression test results are in:

Things are looking good!

a1ek5ant3ri

It's firing on all 8 cylinders. My friend unbolted the timing gear on the passenger exhaust camshaft, rotated it 180 degrees and rebolted it. Now on to the less interesting, and stressful, issues. Brake lines, power steering leaks and transmission fluid change coming up. . . in January. I'm leaving for NZ in a few days, so the Q45 will be on it's own for a while.

OwnerCS

Welcome to NICO! It looks like you are making good progress.

It is rare to see any 90-93 Q45 around these days and even rarer to see one running that still had plastic guides.

When I replace the guides on my 91 back in 2010, I found the plastic guides in fairly decent shape. I'm glad I replaced them at the time.

BCC93QT
1995 Infiniti Q45

Am glad to see another Q45 restoration project especially a 1990 on this board. I am envious of your motivation and execution so far. Can't wait to see this finished properly. Any help or input i'm sure many on this board are more than willing to help! Pictures PLEASE!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”