I have to choose: Nissan Rogue or Hyundai Tucson

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
JohnBellHood

Well, I am new to this forum, and I have narrowed my choice to a 2010 Nissan Rogue or a 2010 Hyundai Tucson. I have checked many Internet sites about the pluses and minuses of these two vehicles, and I even went to two dealerships today to check them out.

For you Rogue owners, please either convince me why I should buy the Rogue over the Tucson, or why I should buy the Tuscon over the Rogue.

It seems there are some issues regarding the CVT and noise at high speeds with the Rogue, as well as a blind spot issue.

For the Hyundai Tucson, there appears to be an issue with power, for its automatic 4-cylinder engine.

I am looking at the FWD Rogue versus the FWD Automatic Hyundai as my two choices, and I need to decide very soon (my 1996 Nissan Altima died yesterday, and it had 213,000 miles on it, may it rest in peace!).

Oh, and if I do decide on the Rogue, do you think I should spring for the AWD (about $1000 more, I think)?

Thanks in advance for any quick responses to my request.
Modified by JohnBellHood at 3:09 PM 2/23/2010

going rogue
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

Hi JohnBellHood,

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to test drive both vehicles before making your decision.

I can tell you that the CVT issue was resolved last year, and as a show of confidence Nissan extended the warranty on all 2003-2010 CVT transmissions to 10yrs/120,000mi: http://www.nissanassist.com/

Personally, I have not had an issue with noise at high speeds. I have also heard that noise from the cargo area can be greatly reduced simply by inserting some rubber insulation around the spare tire.

I have a FWD Rogue and am very satisfied with the performance, fuel economy, and handling. I chose not to spring for the AWD because I didn't want the complex components, reduced fuel economy, and performance hit. If you have the chance, test drive both the FWD and the AWD and compare for yourself.

JohnBellHood

Thank you, Goin' Rogue. I will defintely take your advice and test drive both cars. I just worry that the first dealership that I go to will put major pressure on me, and I will not be able to leave them without purchasing the car (assuming that it test drives OK).

going rogue

You have nothing to worry about.

Of course the salesperson will play on your passions for the car and try to get you to sit down right away, negotiate and close the deal.

Don't.

Just make a conscious decision before you go to the dealership that you are not going there to buy the car on this visit and stick to your guns. The salesperson will respect your decision. Give him your contact info and that's all.

Furthermore, I highly recommend that you find out the dealer cost of the model you want and negotiate the "on the road/out the door" price (all taxes/fees/everything factored in). In normal times, the recommended markup is 3-6% over dealer cost. In a bad economy, 0-3% plus some perks (maybe free oil changes or all-season floor mats, etc..).

You can find the dealer cost (and more buying advice) on Edmunds.com. Negotiate up from the dealer cost, not down from MSRP. Contact the internet manager through email and negotiate the final price before you even set foot in the dealership to buy

JohnBellHood

I feel better now due to your sound advice.

philipa_240sx

Good luck in your search... your Altima served you well... it's time for another Nissan!

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

It's definately a tough comparision, these vehicles seem very similar but also the Tucson is brand new so there isn't much information to base a decision on.

My honest advice is, you have to drive both and see which you prefer, and that means more than just a 10 minutes test drive. The CVT is something that could take some getting used to, or you may not even notice it. Some people love it, others hate it, and others find it to be just as good as a conventional auto. For me, there are times when I don't like it, like just after cold starts in frigid winter temps, the rpms hold much higher for about the first 10 minutes. However, there are times when I love the CVT, it is very smooth and provides great gas mileage. One other specific complaint of the CVT in the Rogue is a slight vibration at "around-town" speeds, the CVT will kick into a high gear ratio to save fuel and produce a slight vibration. Take note of this, see if it bothers you, and keep in mind it's completely normal.

I have never heard anything but complete silence on the highway from the engine and CVT, not sure where you heard that the CVT is noisy on the highway but I don't remember anyone complaining about this except for a few early 2008 models with defective CVT's.

In terms of reliability, the Rogue ranks well above average and I can tell you from experience it is far superior to anything made by Ford, GM, and Chrysler Dodge - I know because I drive Rogue competitors every day for work, usually a different one every day and the Rogue is much better quality. Now that I think of it, the only thing I think is inferior on the Rogue is the rear cargo noise (lack of sound deadening material), and the rear hatch struts. But these are minor things, in my opinion.

Regarding the Tucson, Hyundai is very impressive in terms of quality, pricing and styling. My wife is excited to buy one, as a matter of fact, but it's a first year of a brand new model including a brand new engine, 6-spd transmission, suspension and probably a lot of other components. I'm not saying it'll be unreliable, but the fact is you just don't know, it can take a year or two to work out the bugs. This should be a major consideration in my mind, however Hyundai has an excellent warranty.

Also, the blind spot in the Rogue appears to be duplicated in the tucson, but be sure to check this during the test drives, maybe even do a parallel park and weave in amongst some heavy traffic and see how safe you feel. The Rogue has a little more cargo room, but interior dimensions are almost exactly the same, and fuel efficiency is extremely close.

It's a tough one, I think you should test drive both of these vehicles more than once, don't base the decision on just one day of test driving. Once you make the big purchase, there's no getting out of it unless you are ready to lose thousands of dollars, so don't rush the decsion, be firm with the salesman and tell him "I'm just looking" repeatedly so you can get in those test drives, and of course price comparisions are very important. Good luck, and let us know what you pick eithe way please!

Nick 568
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

One thing to look for on the Rogue though is rattles. I don't know if it's just the ones at my dealership at the time of purchasing, but most of them had rattles with just 2 miles on them from the factory. The one I took home didn't rattle, but it eventually developed a rattle. But I have the music up so I pretty much never notice it. Other owners here haven't reported too many rattles generally, but it's still something I suggest looking out for.

And as has been said here, don't let the dealer pressure you. They of course will try, but be assertive, tell them you want to compare you options and won't be ready to buy at all until you've checked out the competition.And as others have stated, it's all about what you like best. In my opinion, if you're shelling out the money for a brand new car, you better be damned pleased with your purchase that you'll be continuing to play for for the next 5 years. Also, in my opinion, you'll be happier if you buy a car that you like to drive/like the styling as opposed to a car that you know is going to be more reliable and require less maintenance down the road. For instance, Toyota's have tip-top reliability. But most of their cars are just sooooo bland and boring.

Also, there's a tad bit of more wind noise than I would like at highway speeds, but no CVT noise. But that is because the vehicle I drive at highway speeds most often next to my Rogue is an Acura, so it's not a fair comparison for what I'm used to I suppose.

Btw John, I used to live in Haymarket! I went to Battlefield High School and worked at the HobbyTown USA in Manassas while I was in high school there. Small world!

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

JohnBellHood wrote: I just worry that the first dealership that I go to will put major pressure on me, and I will not be able to leave them without purchasing the car (assuming that it test drives OK).
Wow.... Please tell me it ain't so... that you're not serious about buckling under pressure. You worked hard for your money. Prove to yourself that all those years of education have paid off. That you can make sound, informed and intelligent choices. Don't let someone else (the salesperson) spend you hard earned money!

Regardless of which vehicle you drive first, you owe the dealership Nothing!. A month after you buy your car (whichever one you choose) the salesman will have forgotten your name. Remember... you are not at the dealership to make a lifelong friend, you won't be inviting the salesperson for dinner, they won't be helping you make your car payments and they won't hold your hand 6 months from now if you eventually regret buckling to their sales pressure. And... this is HUGE!!!.... DO NOT. I repeat... DO NOT TELL ANY OF THE DEALERSHIPS YOUR CAR DIED! Holy Crap... that will only provide additional leverage they need to push you around. FACT: When the sales person runs out to great you with a big smile and a handshake, your attitude needs to be "No Thanks... I'm not in the market now... I'm between jobs. etc.

If you truly are so insecure you're afraid you may buckle to the pressure of a salesman then you REALLY NEED to take someone else along with you that won't be afraid to walk out the door. FACT: If you can't walk away... the salesman has you by the short hairs and they know it!

I test drove the Subaru Forrester and the Toyota Rav4 twice and I drove the Honda CRV and the Rogue 3 TIMES and each time I left with a salesman trying to twist my arm. Sorry I'm not a sucker to the sales pitch. I only wish I was there to go with you. You need to test drive each car then walk away! Each dealership needs to realize you are not a pushover and they will need to sharpen their pencil so the next time you visit (if they are that lucky) that you won't walk away. Don't get all giddy and say things like I love it, I really want it. Let them know you are considering other models. Same the CRV and the Forrester to keep them on their toes.

YOU hold all the cards... not the dealership!. YOU already know the dealer costs on the vehicles you are considering. YOU tell them how much you will pay. PERIOD. If they make a counter offer... you walk! STOP! If you "don't" know the dealers invoice price, (what they paid for the car) then you ARE NOT ready to go car shopping.

When I purchased my Rogue... I took the dealers invoice price (factoring all the options the car had on it e.g., sunroof, splash guards, Bose Radio etc... then added on $600 over cost for their profit. Many people consider that too generous. If you're tenacious enough you can actually get a car for less than invoice!

My car also died (an Acura Vigor). I needed a new car right away, so I was happy letting them make $600 so I could cut the deal fast. Once I made my mind up on the Rogue, I gave them the saleperson my dollar final bottom line amount figure. They came back with a counter offer. I said Thanks but no thanks, stood up and started to walk away. They followed me to my car. As I was getting in they said okay you got a deal.

NET: If you don't know the dealer cost or want to read more on this technique then you should really check out this thread for some tips:

zer...35971

Okay... now that I'm done beating you up... (sorry about that) , I should identify that I used to sell cars for a living and I took advantage of the people who were unprepared (rather than help them get a good deal). I'm just tying to make up for those years and all the people I screwed out of their hard earned money. Don't let anyone do it to you.

Anyway... PLEASE Test Drive all the cars you want. DON'T be afraid to stomp on the gas (when its safe) to feel how the car accelerates. Does it have the power you want? Pull into a shopping mall, school or church parking lot and turn some tight circles to check the steering radius. The sales rep will have you taking a smooth designated route. Tell him you want to take it on some side streets. Look for speed bumps or pot holes or railroad track. How does it smooth out the road? Is it a quiet ride? etc. .

For me... I did all of the above and the Rogue won me over. It was quiet, very peppy when I stomped the gas, turned circles tighter than my Acura, was easy to get in and out of... but most important... it feels like you are driving a car. My wife LOVES driving it. The fact that the Rogue handles like a car won me over.

My wife and I were both concerned about the reported limited visibility thru the read window. Now we both find it interesting that neither of us even think about it. You actually get used to it very quickly and find it does not impair your driving.

Rule of thumb... I never buy a new 1st year model release. Both the Rogue and the Tucson are great cars and a good value for the money. My only concern with the Tucson is the newly designed powertrain (new 2.4 cylinder mated to a 6 speed tranny) Granted the auto manufacturer will make it right as they work out the bugs, like Nissan did with the first year Rogues and CVT transmission which is no longer an issue. But if you are one of the people going thru the de-bugging of a new vehicle , it can be a painful experience.

AWD or FWD ... I went with FWD. Less moving parts means fewer things to break. It also reduces the weight of the vehicle and thus improves fuel economy. Unless you live in a climate with severe or long winters I wouldn't spent the extra money. Just my two cents

Good luck... and remember to walk away from each dealership at least once! Let them know you're the boss, that you know what you want, and that you won't settle for any compromise.
Modified by Elton Noway at 1:30 AM 2/24/2010

Big_Joe
Car: '08 Rogue

Truly listen to Elton Noway about finding out prices and don't be scared to walk away. I am 21 and this was my first major car purchase by myself. I was nervous as all hell but I am pretty well informed as to how the system works. I happened to luck out with my bargaining simply for the fact that I had been pre-approved for a loan by my bank and went in with the check in hand and gave them the ultimatum whether or not they wanted to get rid of the car. Low and behold 4 hours later I walked away with a Nissan Rogue at MY PRICE, not theirs. I also refused to let them run my credit so they couldn't try to counter offer my loan. Just remember there are a hundred other dealerships who would gladly take your business. Go in with a plan and STICK to it. REFUSE to buckle under any circumstances because once they see you start to give leeway your f***ed. They smell fear.

DELL
Car: 2010 BLACK ROGUE SL

BTW what was the final price of your car?

JohnBellHood

Thank you for all of the great advice. I will keep you informed as to what I eventually decide to purchase.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

There's really not a whole lot to say other than test drive. You can read all you want, compare specs and read the suggestions of others but you really need to experience the options first hand to determine what you prefer.

Big_Joe
Car: '08 Rogue

Well i bought a used 2008 S AWD, but it was loaded like an SL and a little more - Leather/Heated Seats/ Webasta Sunroof/ XM Radio dashboard connections/ Valley Towing and Hitch System and tinted windows along with fog lights. The car had 16kmiles on it and I got it for 20,850 INCLUDING taxes. I got them to waive all their stupid little "prep" fees and non-sense. So yeah walking out the door the final price was 20,850.

JohnBellHood

Well, my plan today was to go to the Nissan dealership and test drive the Rogue, and then go to the Hyundai dealership to test drive the Tucson, but after me and my wife test drove the Rogue, we were convinced it was the vehicle for us. We bought an S model with AWD, Silver color. I know I probably should have test drove the Hyundai as well, but I just did not feel that it could have rode any better, and the fact that it was the first year for the Hyundai 6-speed tranmission scared me away a bit.

I was tempted to get the 360 degree options, but most of those options were not of interest to me -- only the backup camera was something that I would have wanted, but for an extra $1200, it just was not worth it (I don't care about spoilers, chrome, and the other things that come with that package).

I guess I will be a regular on this forum now.

going rogue

Congratulations on your purchase, John. You're going to (continue to) love the Rogue! If you decide you need some assistance backing up, check out the backup sensor installation thread: zer...npics. I installed one myself and I can honestly tell you it's not hard at all (I'm not that handy). I purchased the following sensors for $30 shipping included: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10283.

JohnBellHood

Thanks, Goin' Rogue. I read those instructions by Silverboy concerning installation of a backup sensor, and, nothing against Silverboy, but they were strangely written and very confusing to me. The part about the different colored wires was all over the place, and just makes me tremble thinking about following those instructions as written. Nothing against the writer, but he does not seem to be cognizant of clearly written instructions (the pictures are nice, but the words to go with them are poorly constructed). Like the part about following the black wire from the back of the vehicle to the dashboard -- huh? I think writing installation and training manuals is a very difficult thing, and people who write them have to assume that the person reading them knows practically nothing, which is a hard thing to do. I may just pass on such an installation for now.

Anyway, I am very excited, and can't wait to drive the Rogue.

going rogue

I know what you mean about the instructions. But, for me the most intimidating part was removing and drilling holes in my brand new Rogue bumper. I'm not particularly handy, but it was about as straightforward as it gets. If you ever change your mind later on, I can answer any questions you might have.

Elton Noway

JohnBellHood wrote:Well, my plan today was to go to the Nissan dealership and test drive the Rogue, and then go to the Hyundai dealership to test drive the Tucson, but after me and my wife test drove the Rogue, we were convinced it was the vehicle for us. We bought an S model with AWD, Silver color. I know I probably should have test drove the Hyundai as well, but I just did not feel that it could have rode any better, and the fact that it was the first year for the Hyundai 6-speed tranmission scared me away a bit.
Hey JohnBellHood...Congratulations!!!. My hats off to you! You ability to impulse buy is beyond my comprehension (then again it takes me 30 minutes or more to pick out a can of black spray paint... I have to read ALL the cans ) Anyway, considering my wife and I drove many vehicles, some of them multiple times, over several weeks... and in the end both my wife and I decided the Rogue was the best handling / best value in the lot, and even though I'm only a factor of one... you can be relatively confident you made the right choice. Like you, as much as I like the new Hyundai model, the newly designed drivetrain would prevent me from considering it until 2011 at the earliest.
JohnBellHood wrote:I was tempted to get the 360 degree options, but most of those options were not of interest to me -- only the backup camera was something that I would have wanted, but for an extra $1200, it just was not worth it (I don't care about spoilers, chrome, and the other things that come with that package).
If you are even the slightest bit handy then you've made another wise decision. You can add most all of the options yourself and save thousands in the process. I started out small... i.e., chrome door handles and body side molding.

I've since added the Gentex Homelink rearview mirror with compass... and a spoiler! My upgrades are small change compared to some other members but fun to do nonetheless.

TIP: If contemplating a rear view camera... in the meantime here's a simple trick. While adjusting to the somewhat limited rearview visibility... simply fold down both back seats. The headrests on the rear seats slightly obstruct some of the rearview. Folding them down opens the area and makes the rearview appear more spacious. Once you adjust to driving the Rogue you can put the seats back up. As I said in my earlier posts neither my wife or I even think about the rearview anymore and don't consider it to be a drawback in any sense of the word. We love our Rogue!

RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

How is the resale on those Hoonday's? I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those but that's just my personal opinion.

The Nissan will have an excellent resale value and I think you can buy a 3 year old Hoonday for a pack of chewing gum and a dented can of Mountain Dew--sooo something to consider.

Good luck

JohnBellHood

Nice Work, EltonNoway. Those are some nice looking door handles, and my wife told me that we need to put on some door guards to protect against door dings, so I may decide at some later point in time to at least do that upgrade. The backup sensor is something outside my capability, but who knows, maybe I will get up the nerve to install that sometime in the future.

And I love your tip about better rear view visibility -- a no brainer, but I probably would not have thought of it.

No buyers remorse on day 2, so that's a good thing.

Elton Noway

JohnBellHood wrote:Nice Work, EltonNoway. Those are some nice looking door handles...
Thanks JohnBellHood, I wish I could say it took some real engineering work on my part to accomplish the addition of the chrome door handles but they are simply ABS chrome plated plastic covers I got off eBay and held on with 3M double sided tape.
JohnBellHood wrote:... my wife told me that we need to put on some door guards to protect against door dings, so I may decide at some later point in time to at least do that upgrade.
Make sure your wife understand that while door edge guards have their place, they won't protect your Rogue from door dings.

Door edge guards are designed to protect the vertical edge of the door against dings and deformation when the door is accidentally opened into a stationary object. Body side molding, (the horizontal trim on doors along the side of the car), serves as protection against dings on the side of the car when "other" car doors open into your vehicle.

If a door ding will make you crazy don't wait to long to take preventative measures. Something as simple as a quick trip to the store can spell disaster if you end up parked next to a car full of kids that throw open their doors as if their car was on fire. Just FYI, I purchased my body side molding (color matched to my vehicle), from Sportwing.

http://www.sportwing.com/nissanrogue08fe.aspx

Like the chrome door handles, the side molding is simple to install and is also held on with 3M double sided tape. If you're not familiar with the 3M double sided automotive tape, don't let the concept fool you. 3M automotive tape is Super strong (like Gorilla Glue on steroids). If items are applied to a properly cleaned and prepared vehicle, the tape (or the items affixed) will not be coming off!

orijin
Car: Nissan Rogue 2008 Silver SL AWD

i wish the rogue had lights like the tucson, hoping to see the rogue with the murano, maxima, 370z, fx35 styling of lights

Return to “Rogue Forum”