I have a 90 Stanza....now what? Conversions?!?!

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
lancefloyd
Car: Red 95 Zenki 240sx, 5 speed

I have been peeking and searching and messing around on the web, but haven't recieved a definitive answer on this one:

What engine swaps and conversions are available for the Stanza?

I am familiar with the Attesa SSS model, but unaware of what it takes to put it in a USDM stanza/u-12.

I'd LOVE to go AWD if I could, since I've only owned RWD cars for the most part, and I detest FWD. I am looking for the ultimate sleeper...

Anybody familiar with tinkering with this uncommon car?

What could be done as far as suspension, body, etc.? I assume a custom exhaust unless I can get my hands on the SSS upgrade parts...maybe.

I really want to do this, since I've owned 2 240sx's, and in the course of 2 months have had them both totalled....for reasons beyond my control.

Thanks for your ideas and help!

cnickk
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t 2004 Infiniti G35 6mt

put the bottle in the trunk and be done

lancefloyd

not a bottle feeder.

I don't mind doing work to this thing. There is no body damage, not a bit of rust, and its more reliable then both my old 240's combined. Its a 91 with 101k miles on it, and still feels like new in the chassis.

I just want to know things like manual trans conversion, AWD possibilities, etc. After I've exhausted all upgrade paths like engine swap, turbo, headwork, etc., then a bottle may go in...but its hard to squeeze in the corners.

xyoufailmex
Car: 1990 240 FB

Dude... you dont need that junk, just get a bottle and throw it in 5th.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

Ah, i love Stanza's they have a mean look to them for some reason, just like b13's.

I bet the Pulsar GTiR SR20det will swap in with some work. Now that's a burly engine, forged internals, itb's, now as far as the Pular's awd drivetrain .. i dunno. You could always just turbo the stock KA anway, the sohc takes well to it. Maybe you'd get more answers in the Altima/Stanza forum

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Without tons of money, you cannot get the AWD conversion done. The chassis is just so much different from the GTiR.

If I wanted to make a sleeper out of it, I would drop in a usdm KA24DE and turbo it. The price woule be so much less.

There used to be a member around here that I havent seen for a while called "onefaststanza" who might know something better...

lancefloyd

yeah, I've read up a lot on onefaststanza's car and all. But I crave awd because of the fierce torque steer this car will present. There has got to be a way to run the Attesa SSS CA18DET or SR20DET engine with its AWD attesa transmission.

I need a manual trans too...

lancefloyd

well, i don't mind digging around in japan for the Attesa conversion, but I could use some help for now with what suspension parts to use, and what bodykits to work with.

I need to lower the car about 1.5 inches, with either shocks/struts and lowering springs, or with coil-overs. Anybody with ideas or part #'s?

Then I need to the exhaust and intake, and re-do the brakes, which are right after some fresh wheels.

Can BRM do an exhaust for this car? Or miraculously does an altima kit work?

USDM240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Limited Edition 'vert

with enough money, you can have the AWD setup fabricated. but how much money that will involve, i do not know.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there is an AWD Bluebird in Japan, should be a straight swap.

Go for it.

lancefloyd

I believe this is correct according to the swap. The match for the stanza in the australian market is the Ford Corvair (?!?), and the Nissan Pintara,..and the match for it in JDM land is the Bluebird. The AWD variant of this machine is called the Attesa SSS bluebird. The chassis that is the one I need is U-12. A lot of people have swapped altima platforms in america and around for the u-13 bluebird Attesa platform, but I don't think this will fit.

Thats a pic of the car in standard trim

This is a ca-18de(T) maybe.

found my donor cars!!...lol.

mallbor240SR
Car: 240sx 1990

isnt the usdm stanza wagon AWD? maybe you could use those parts, im also interested in lowering my stanza but i cant find anything on the web.

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier.

Either way as far as too much stuff to actually do to the Stanza it is all custom fabrication. I know some people from previous Stanza boards have successfully swapped out KA24DE and SR20DET motors into the Stanza but i do not personally know all the work that was involved in the swap.

My original plan was to swap the U12 with the SR20DET but I never got around to it and i got sidelined with my Spec V project and have yet to return to messing with the Stanza.

As for exhausts your best bet is to just have a shop custom bend piping with a mandrel bender which is easy enought and weld on whatever muffler you like (I would go with something like a HKS or Apexi can).

And as someone else mentioned you could go on the bottle as well cause I know several have also gone that route. On the bottle with something like a 75 shot I think they got the Stanza running in the mid 14s which is not fast by any means but it is about 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 than the Stanza does out of the box.

Suspension wise you are likely going to be out of luck. Intrax I want to say made some lowering springs for it back in the day if I remember correctly but I don't know if they are in production anymore. Ground Control wasn't messing with anymore custom kits to my knowledge which is what i have on mine. And i think a member or two swapped ot suspension components from another car but I can't remember frm which car.

Good luck with the project. You don't find too many people with Stanzas modified heh.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ HOLY CRAP look who showed up!

EDIT: Hey Cory, are you on AIM? Can you hit me up at gregatnico?

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

AZhitman wrote:^ HOLY CRAP look who showed up!

EDIT: Hey Cory, are you on AIM? Can you hit me up at gregatnico?
I am never on AIM. It is easiest to get ahold of me by e-mail or calling. I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”