I have a 2003 maxima GLE and there is a rattling noise from the engine when i ac

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
CharlesMax03
Car: maxima GLE 2003

I have a 2003 maxima GLE and there is a rattling noise from the engine when i accelerate. My car runs well all the time. But when i press on the gas pedal to accelerate or to go up a hill, the engine rattles like the cylinders are full of marbles. The rattling is loudest (over 1500 RPM) Feathering the gas pedal result in a distinctive back rattle between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. somebody help me please.

RSG
Car: 2002 Infiniti I35

If you're sure the noise is coming from the engine and not underneth, it is the sound of pinging (knock) or heatshield from the header.

Try running a can of BG 44k first to see if it is carbon built-up in the engine. Next, pull code to determine if it is a faulty MAF or knock sensor. Also check your timing to confirm it is within specs (15 degree).

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

3.5's have a timing chain issue, check out this thread; zer...31098 and the link to the post inside it "ticking when I accellerate".

CharlesMax03

Thanks for the tip i will look in to that because NISSAN is not helping me at all and my car is under warranty!

This is what i found on the web:Possible causes: and what NISSAN SAID TO ME THEY DID.

The ignition timing may be set wrong: Adjust ignition timing. IT'S NOT THAT.

The engine may be running too hot: Check and repair cooling system. IT'S NOT THAT.[/I]

There may be a vacuum leak: Check and replace vacuum lines as required. IT'S NOT THAT.[/I]

Incorrect grade of fuel: Fill with the correct, or higher, octane fuel. I KNOW IT'S NOT THAT BECUASUE I USE SUNOCO 94 AND IT'S KILLING MY POTKETS. BY THE WAY THAT ME TELLING THEM![/I]

There is an excessive amount of carbon built up in your engine: Clean carbon from valves and combustion chamber. (Not a DIY job) IT'S NOT THAT BECAUSE THEY SAID THAT THEY CLEAN IT BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE.There may be a fault in the computerized engine control system: Check engine control systems with a scan tool. Test circuits and repair or replace components as required. (Generally not a DIY job) THEY CHECK IT SO THEY SAID.[/I]

MAN I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE THAT SOUND IS MAKING ME CRAZY, I DRIVE WITH THE RADIO ON HIGH SO THAT I DON'T HEAR THE RATTLING.

Modified by CharlesMax03 at 1:40 PM 9/14/2006
Modified by CharlesMax03 at 1:41 PM 9/14/2006

RSG

I totally understand how you feel since I have the same issue.

Next thing I would do is checking the heat-shield on the back header.

CharlesMax03

What does the heat-shield look like?

Beancooker

A fairly thin piece of metal covering the exhaust manifold, precats, cat and collector on the Y-pipe. Look at the first pic in here: zerothread/196737 Those are a few of the heat sheilds. In the other pics you can see there are heat sheilds wrapping around the whole damn exhaust system.

LA02MAX
Car: 2002 6-speed maxima

do you do your own oil changes? if so, change your oil right now, and measure what comes out (just put it in a couple milk cartons). If less that 4 1/4 (4 quarts = 1 gallon) quarts comes out, you're buring oil. Oil consumption in the VQ35DEs is becoming more and more of a widespread issue and many people see up to 1 1/2 - 2 quarts less after only 1000 miles of driving. This causes the timing chain to rattle (mainly under load).

Nobody has yet to actually go in and discover what is causing the issue, but as you can see, there are several assumptions about the cause...good luck, and hopefully this doesn't pertain to you, but if it does I hope you're under warranty...

Modified by LA02MAX at 8:14 PM 9/15/2006
Modified by LA02MAX at 10:23 PM 9/15/2006

Beancooker

WELCOME, LA02MAX! Glad to have you on board. Louisana, finally getting out of the hot season.

One thing to point out, read paragraph 1)
FAQ wrote:My post / thread disappeared - What happened?

While the NICO Administration tries very hard to avoid censoring or removing posts, posts or threads can be removed for any number of reasons. The most common reasons are:1) Linking to a forum that competes with NICO. While this may seem silly, NICO exists due to the enormous flow of traffic that enters the site. Without this, the resource would cease to exist.

2) Posting something inappropriate. In the interests of professionalism, we ask that anything posted on NICO be "PG-13" in nature. There are other sites where "anything goes" and, while we try to avoid censoring content, NICO is not one of them.

3) Flaming, bashing or trolling. A good rule of thumb here is, "if you don't have anything nice / constructive to say, don't say anything." NICO prides itself on being a safe place for all people (newbies and veterans) to learn and share a common interest.

4) Commercial posting. We all hate spam, and spamming our members is a good way to be removed from NICO. Further, if you are a business and you have a product that might be of interest to our members, feel free to contact us. We can't allow commercial posting for non-paying advertisers, but we're very flexible and can design a package that accomodates most business budgets.

5) Political and religious discussions. We've learned from experience that these sorts of threads lead to division and dissent in our family, and we'd prefer to remain cohesive and united in our enthusiasm for cars.

6) Starting a new topic in place of one that you *think* might have been removed by a Moderator for one of the aforementioned reasons is simply bad "netiquette" and will be dealt with appropriately.

Other than that, we're a pretty fun place to spend some time, so come in, soak up some automotive knowledge, have a fun off-topic chat, contribute if you wish, and enjoy being part of the NICO Family - we're glad you're here.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Eh, I don't really mind those links. Sharing information is good. The offboard linking we don't want is the kind that's intended to steal members. Besides, most of us NICO max owners are members at the .org as well anyway.

LA02MAX

whoops! sorry about that...i took it off

Beancooker

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Eh, I don't really mind those links. Sharing information is good. The offboard linking we don't want is the kind that's intended to steal members. Besides, most of us NICO max owners are members at the .org as well anyway.
MY BAD!!! Sorry.

RSG

Are there any cons of taking heatshield off the exhaust manifold if it is the rattling cause? Is obivous the temperature will go up, but will it causes damage to other components / lines etc?

Make sense to replace it or not?

LA02MAX

I don't think so...people that have headers dont use heat shields...but they also don't have precats, so I'm not 100% sure on that...

RSG

Noah, did you have yours removed?

For those who removed the heat-shields, please share your experiences. Thanks.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Heat shields simply dissipate the heat to keep the floorboards of the car from getting hot. Great in the summer, bummer in the winter. You can try to get another person to apply gas while holding the brake to try and get the noise to pop up. If it is a heat shield, this should get it to rattle (hopefully).

RSG

I'm now 90% sure it is the heatshield causing the well known "1700-2000 RPM noise" and not engine pinging. and yes I can reproduce the noise while holding the brake. man i'm silly

do you suggest I replace or remove it?

Beancooker

Neither, Tighten it! You don't want to remove it because it serves a purpose. (not very important, but still a purpose) You don't want to replace it because the problem is not that it's broken, just loose. When you tighten it, use some red locktite. the red is higher temp. I left the heat sheilds on my manifolds and the front precat. Since the rear precat is gone I didn't have anywhere to bolt that one back on. If you need a hand with that, I'll be in Bremerton on Friday to race. If you want to come out, that'd be great. If you don't want to go to B-town, we could meet in Tacoma around maybe 7? Email me.

CharlesMax03

what's up guys thank's for all your help, this site is cool.

I check out the heat sheilds but don't know if that's it. looking for bg 44k where i live but can't find it might have to order it online.My Mechanic said he thinks it's the throtel body ?The new noise is when i start my car, engin truns on then a quick rattel i turn the car off and start it but no noies. It only happens when the car is of for a cupel of hours.

my car is pissing me off and only 47k miles.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

You can probably find BG44K at any local car dealership.

The next time you have a freind to help you; before starting the car, pop the hood and have them or yourself listen in the the area of the front timing cover to see if that is where the noise is coming from. That should confirm or eliminate the chain guides.

RSG

beancooker wrote:Neither, Tighten it! You don't want to remove it because it serves a purpose. (not very important, but still a purpose) You don't want to replace it because the problem is not that it's broken, just loose. When you tighten it, use some red locktite. the red is higher temp. I left the heat sheilds on my manifolds and the front precat. Since the rear precat is gone I didn't have anywhere to bolt that one back on. If you need a hand with that, I'll be in Bremerton on Friday to race. If you want to come out, that'd be great. If you don't want to go to B-town, we could meet in Tacoma around maybe 7? Email me.
Appreciate the help Noah.. sorry did not make it to the raceway cuz work has been so busy... but I may need some of your help since I could not see any bolt is loose.

Beancooker

Cool, be glad to help. May just be a bend causing the rattle! Still looking for a Y-pipe? Will be selling mine in a few months, if you're interested.

RSG

Cool, we will look into it during Nissan meet.

Why are you selling the Y-pipe? For me I am more interested in saving $ for header.

Beancooker

I am starting to compile parts to turbo her. Y-pipe will not be needed.

xerexabante
Car: 02 q45, 02 max se

there are tsb's on rattling on dry start. i have the same problem. dry start rattle and 1500-200 rpm rattle it might be the knok sensor thus if this goes bad it does not turn your MIL on. benn bothered with it but, i just hit that rpm harder. to make the noise away

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”