HowTo: Replace PCV Valve (M56 - VK56)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Figured I'd put this out there for anyone who was interested in how to replace the PCV valves (positive crankcase ventilation). I have a 2011 M56x, so at the least, this would be the same for any of the M56 variants and years.

*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.

Also, you do not have to do it exactly how I do. Different people tackle things differently. This just how I do it.

Task: Replace PCV Valve on an M56 (VK56VD)
Time:30 minutes tops
Tools/Supplies Needed:
  • Flat head screw driver
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Two PCV Valves (I purchased purolator ones - part number is PV1091)
  • 10mm wrench or socket
  • 15/16 wrench or something close to a 22MM socket for the actual PCV valves...or even some pliers. Whatever you can use to lose the valves.
Process:

1) Open the hood and use the 10mm socket/wrench to remove the two bolts holding the rear part of the engine cover in place. Then, once those are remove, pull up on the corners of the front part of the cover. There is big grommets holding them in place, so give it a good tug. Naturally, becareful.

2) Shown is the left side PCV valve. You'll need to remove the hose clamps from the PCV valve, the hose next to it and the loosen the screw on the intake tubing. The latter two things will allow you to move the intake tubing out of the way for nice access to the PCV valve. This is much better designed than the M35 I had previous which was a PITA to replace the PCV valve on. The lowest item circled is the PCV valve.

3) Re-install everything on the left side by doing the reverse of step 2.

4) Now we'll move on to the right side, which is largely the same process. Loosen the screw for the intake tubing, move the hose clamps, remove, re-install.

PROTIP: Position the hose clamps when done in such a way that you'll have easy access next time with needle nose pliers. Mine were kinda facing a weird direction and 90% of the time it took to do this job was spent trying to get them turned so I could actually clamp down on them.

The purpose of doing this maintenance item is varied. I do it every 15kmi on my cars because it's such a cheap part (15kmi interval). A new one should rattle, an old one will be clogged and won't rattle.

It is said that a clogged PCV valve could effect an idle, cause vacuum problems, MPG drops, etc.

I plan to follow this HowTo up with one for seafoam, which I will be doing this week. I'm just getting the car ready for the winter, making sure everything is nice and tidy.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Great Writeup! I am going to do this on the weekend.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”