HowTo: Change Your PCV Valve (M35 - VQ35DE)

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Figured I'd put this out there for anyone who was interested in changing the PCV Valve on their own but wasn't feeling very comfortable. I have a 2007 M35x so this applies to the M35. I haven't seen the V8 car so I can't say if this process is any different. This should give you the general idea though.

Here is the benefit of changing the PCV Valve:
Authorized.com wrote:The PCV valve is a control device which sends partially burned gases that come from the engine's crankcase to the combustion chamber. Its name, PCV means Positive Crankcase Ventilation and is one of the oldest and most used emission control devices. Although its name might sound very complicated, it is a very simple device and its function can be easily understood.

Due to its tasks, the PCV valve is not only very useful but also implies important benefits. It completely eliminates crankcase emissions efficiently, avoiding that it becomes an air pollution factor. Besides, it also keeps the system free of moisture due to the constant air circulation that it implies.

Besides, the PCV valve also helps keeping the oil and the engine in proper shape extending their life as well. Also, its mechanism is very important for preventing the appearance of engine corrosion as well as it helps improving fuel economy. This way, the PCV valve is very important for different aspects and helps car owners maintaining their car’s engines in shape as well as providing them with a good administration of the fuel economy

The PCV valve routes crankcase partially burned gases back to the engine. Once these gases go back to the engine, they are re-burned, allowing this way a better use and administration of fuel. The cylinders are an important part in the process since they are who re-burn the gases rerouted from the PVC valve and have a central role in it.

Crankcase emissions can be a great source of air pollution, and therefore the PCV valve is very useful and important not only for the car functioning but also for the environment and health as well. Besides, this valve requires little maintenance and must be replaced at about 40.000 miles. This way, the PCV valve is an easy to maintain piece which implies an important amount of benefits that affect not only the car and its owner but also those who surround him and the environment in general due to the way in which it prevents gases from becoming air pollution factors.

Source: http://www.autorized.com/auto-maintenan ... e-do.shtml
*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.

I took the pics with my HTC EVO 4G from Sprint. End of shameless plug lol.

Task: Change The PCV Valve
Time: Takes me about 5-6 minutes to do now that I've done it a bunch of times.
Tools/Supplies Needed:
  • Pliers
  • PCV Valve
  • Possibly a socket that fits onto the PCV valve if you have it (will make removal and installation much easier)
Process:

1) Open the hood and remove the plastic covers to give yourself some space. The engine cover is held on by 4 10mm bolts/nuts. The other two just pop off with clips.

2) Locate the PCV Hose (marked by the orange line - sorry for the red text and lines - these pictures are being re-used from my Change Your Oil HowTo thread)

Here is a close up of the hose and where it goes:

3) Loosen the clamp on the top side (furthest from the PCV Valve) and slide the hose off. This is MUCH easier if the engine bay is warm/hot because the hose is more flexible. Be careful not to burn yourself on anything.

4) You are now left with the PCV Valve and it's hose. I personally use Pliers (kinda hard to get it loose at first) to unscrew the PCV Valve since I don't have a socket that will fit over it. If you have the socket, cool, if not...use whatever means you can to unscrew the PCV Valve.

5) Installation is reverse of removal.
Last edited by Ilya on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Adding to the FAQ.

TXT
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

Thanks for this. I might as well just go and change this. Do you recommend a place to get the PCV valve or will autozone do just fine.

jonlex99
Car: 06 Infiniti M35X, 06 Kawasaki Z10r, 06 G35s coupe 6smt with the 19 inch forge wheels. 02 Lexus LX470

Got mine from the Zone and it works fine..

Ilya

Any PCV Valve from any of the chain stores will do as Jonlex said.

sergio1987
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

hey...is it normal for the PCV valve to have oil on it and in the housing?

Ilya

Yes. That is what the PCV valve is meant to do it.

sergio1987
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

Do you think doing a ECU reset after a PCV valve change would benefit the gas mileage or not?

Ilya

I've personally never done it.

cji4130
Car: 2006 M35x

changed my pcv valve today, very easy, however, my ventilation hose was very brittle and ripped at the end opposite of the pcv valve. anyone have a part number on the pcv valve ventilation hose? i searched but couldnt find it.

thanks

cji4130
Car: 2006 M35x

bump

Ilya

I tried looking for you when you first posted and didn't have any luck so I didn't post.

You may have to call the dealer and see if they can't find you a part number. Or just buy some fuel line hose that is the same thickness and cut it to length yourself...your local parts store should have a hose section. Just get a 3ft section and cut it to size.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”