HowTo: Change M37/M56/Q70 (Y51) Brakes (Front and Rear)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Figured I'd put this out there for anyone who was interested in changing the front brakes on their own but weren't feeling very comfortable. I have a 2011 M56x but this should be the same for all M's of the same generation. This should give you the general idea though.

*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.

Front Brakes

Task: Change The Front Brakes
Time: Took me about 15-20 minutes per side...first time may take a bit longer as you learn the process.
Tools/Supplies Needed:
  • 14MM Socket/Wrench
  • 7/8 Socket/Wrench
  • Rotor(s) and Pad(s) - most people on the M forums recommend getting the BrakeMotive EBay kit
  • Brake Fluid - You will need this when you do the bleeding of the brakes
  • Optional - Wire for tying up the caliper to keep it out of the way
  • Optional - Anti-Seize
  • Optional - Wire Brush
  • Optional - Brake Cleaner

Process:

1) Put your car securely up on jack stands. In my case, I have a lift, so it's much easier.

2) Take off the wheel. You will see this:

3) Now remove all four bolts as shown in the pictures. This will allow you to remove the caliper and brake pad bracket. I usually will loosen all four, then remove the caliper bolts first followed by the brake pad bracket bolts. Take note of the orientation of the brake pads and how they are installed (specifically the little tab that connects to the retaining clip). The smaller bolts going through the brake pad bracket are 14mm and the caliper bracket bolts are 7/8.

4) Once the caliper is free, use some wire (or something else) to secure it against the strut, etc.

You should now be left with this:

5) At this point, you should be able to remove the rotor. However, it may be 'seized' onto the hub so you'll need to wiggle it, bang it, etc. to get it loose.

Here is a comparison of the old and new rotors:

Here is a comparison of the old and new pads:

6) At this point, you should take the extra 5 minutes and clean everything up. I like to take a wire brush to all of the bolts I removed (the four), their mating surfaces and the wheel studs. After cleaning up caked on dirt and rust, I like to apply anti-seize to the bolts and studs as well as the surface that the rotor will contact (hopefully to make the rotor easy to remove next time and because I did this last time, my rotors came off super easy today).

Lastly, I also apply some anti-seize (or you can use special grease) to lube up the caliper slide pins.

7) The next thing we need to do is push in the pistons on the calipers in order to fit over the new, much thicker, pads. For this we use a piece of wood and a c-clamp.

8) Now we install the rotor, followed by the brake pad bracket first:

9) Now install the pads. They do go a certain way (if you made note earlier in the process - see the little tab at the top of the outer pad).

10) Now install the caliper over top of the pads. It should fit easily. If it doesn't, you didn't push the piston far enough in. Put it all back together and you should end up with this:

11) Before driving the car, make sure to bleed your brakes even if you didn't disconnect the hoses. You should change your brake fluid every 3 years or so anyway. The order is as follows (basically start as far back from the master cylinder as you can and work your way towards it):

1) Rear Passenger
2) Rear Driver
3) Front Passenger
4) Front Driver

Use this guide: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... rakes.html

12) All set.

13) Lastly, break in your brake pads properly. I use this quide.

Link

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Figured I'd put this out there for anyone who was interested in changing the rear brakes on their own but weren't feeling very comfortable. I have a 2011 M56x but this should be the same for all M's of the same generation. This should give you the general idea though.

*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.

Rear Brakes

Task: Change The Rear Brakes
Time: Took me about 15-20 minutes per side...first time may take a bit longer as you learn the process.
Tools/Supplies Needed:
  • 14MM Socket/Wrench
  • 3/4 Socket/Wrench
  • Rotor(s) and Pad(s) - most people on the M forums recommend getting the BrakeMotive EBay kit
  • Brake Fluid - You will need this when you do the bleeding of the brakes
  • Optional - Wire for tying up the caliper to keep it out of the way
  • Optional - Anti-Seize
  • Optional - Wire Brush
  • Optional - Brake Cleaner
Process:

1) Put your car securely up on jack stands. In my case, I have a lift, so it's much easier.

2) Take off the wheel. You will see this:

3) Now remove all four bolts as shown in the pictures. This will allow you to remove the caliper and brake pad bracket. I usually will loosen all four, then remove the caliper bolts first followed by the brake pad bracket bolts. Take note of the orientation of the brake pads and how they are installed (specifically the little tab). The smaller bolts going through the brake pad bracket are 14mm and the caliper bracket bolts are 3/4.

4) Once the caliper is free, use some wire (or something else) to secure it against the strut, etc.

You should now be left with this:

5) At this point, you should be able to remove the rotor. However, it may be 'seized' onto the hub so you'll need to wiggle it, bang it, etc. to get it loose.

6) At this point, you should take the extra 5 minutes and clean everything up. I like to take a wire brush to all of the bolts I removed (the four), their mating surfaces and the wheel studs. After cleaning up caked on dirt and rust, I like to apply anti-seize to the bolts and studs as well as the surface that the rotor will contact (hopefully to make the rotor easy to remove next time and because I did this last time, my rotors came off super easy today).

Lastly, I also apply some anti-seize (or you can use special grease) to lube up the caliper slide pins.

7) The next thing we need to do is push in the pistons on the calipers in order to fit over the new, much thicker, pads. For this we use a piece of wood and a c-clamp.

8) Now we install the rotor:

9) Then install the brake pad bracket followed by the pads. They do go a certain way (if you made note earlier in the process).

10) Now install the caliper over top of the pads. It should fit easily. If it doesn't, you didn't push the piston far enough in. Put it all back together and you should end up with this:

11) Before driving the car, make sure to bleed your brakes even if you didn't disconnect the hoses. You should change your brake fluid every 3 years or so anyway. The order is as follows (basically start as far back from the master cylinder as you can and work your way towards it):

1) Rear Passenger
2) Rear Driver
3) Front Passenger
4) Front Driver

Use this guide: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... rakes.html

12) All set.

13) Lastly, break in your brake pads properly. I use this quide.

Link

Kprad12
Car: Infiniti M37

know this is old thread but can anyone point me in the right direction to which rotors is should use on my non sport m37
thanks

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Brakemotive kit on Fleabay:

Front: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-KIT-DRILL ... XN&vxp=mtr
Rears: http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-DRILLED-SL ... 7i&vxp=mtr

rotors and pads shipped straight to your door, for less than $170!!

Ilya

Yep, Brakemotive is a great bang for the buck and I'm on my (I think) 5th set between two cars. I think I'm gonna try something else though next time.

cyanide7730
Car: 2011 M37

I just recently bought a front/rear brakemotive kit for $250 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Dril ... 2749.l2649
Front Rotor size: 13.98 in
Rear Rotor size: 13.78 in

The links posted by pedsemdoc, seems to be smaller size of rotors by about 1 1/2 inches.
Front Rotor size: 12.58 in
Rear Rotor size: 12.13 in

Anyone realize this and know if it makes a difference?

ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

Nice photo spread. This how-to covers most of the basics, but probably should also mention:
a) grease the shims when installing new pads.
b) remove, clean, and re-grease the caliper slide pins & verify effortless sliding.
c) inspect rubber boots of slide pins.
d) clean the brake pad retainer clips & replace if rusty.
e) open the bleeder screw before compressing the caliper, cuz better to eject dirty brake fluid rather than squeezing dirt/rust back into your brake lines.
f) remove grease from new rotor surfaces (usually spray brake cleaner).
g) top up brake fluid in master cylinder.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

cyanide7730 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 am
The links posted by pedsemdoc, seems to be smaller size of rotors by about 1 1/2 inches.

The OP stated for his "non-sport m37"
The sport brakes have a 4 piston front caliper with a larger rotor and a 2 piston rear caliper with a smaller rotor which are both larger than the non-sport versions.

cyanide7730

pedsemdoc wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm
cyanide7730 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 am

The OP stated for his "non-sport m37"
The sport brakes have a 4 piston front caliper with a larger rotor and a 2 piston rear caliper with a smaller rotor which are both larger than the non-sport versions.
Ah okay, thanks for clarifying. I have a non-sport M37, does that mean I bought the wrong size? :facepalm:
i.e. will the larger rotors work with a non-sport m37?

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

The larger rotors will not fit the non-sport brakes. Completely different type of systems.

Andy

cyanide7730

Thanks Andy! Now to do an exchange...

Dark_Knight
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD
2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD

A nice sized hammer can come in handy as well, I had to use it when changing the brakes on my wife's JX. Good tip putting anti-seize on the wheel hub so that the rotor is easy to take off next time. I use that stuff on all the nuts and bolts I take off. Also, I may have missed it in your write up but I always uncap the brake fluid reservoir before pushing the calipers in.

Ilya

Dark_Knight wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:34 am
A nice sized hammer can come in handy as well, I had to use it when changing the brakes on my wife's JX. Good tip putting anti-seize on the wheel hub so that the rotor is easy to take off next time. I use that stuff on all the nuts and bolts I take off. Also, I may have missed it in your write up but I always uncap the brake fluid reservoir before pushing the calipers in.
Yep, I use anti-seize everywhere too.

And actually, uncapping the reservoir is a good idea!

Crono
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x (daily driver)
2016 Corvette Z51 7MT (toy)

I got the Centric front and rear brake kit, including ceramic pads and rotors (non-sport), from Rockauto for $155 shipped after 5% off coupon. Everything went well except the retainer clips for the rear pads were the wrong size. No biggie just cleaned my old ones off.

Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant on pins and pads/shims.

Remove brake fluid before compressing the caliper pistons or it might shoot back up your master cylinder. Ask me how I know. :frown:

cozog
Car: 2015 Q70L

I'll just throw this out too....
Bosch QuietCast rotors from oreilly's have a silver coating (think lottery scratcher tickets). If you're careful during install not to rub the coating off, it was bake on and keep the rotor looking nice.
The pad will wear off the coating where they touch, but the rest of the rotor will generally stay rust free for a long time.
I personally hate seeing a really nice car with big 19"/20" wheels and those ugly rusted rotors behind them.

P.S. I would NEVER put anti-seize anywhere but between hub/rotor. Certainly not on lug bolts or caliper mounting bolts. Caliper mounting bolts should have locktite, not anti-seize.

Ilya

RE: Anti-seize...too each their own...my dad is 69 years old in two weeks. I do my car work how he taught me and after 15 years of driving (and 50+ for him, he also went to technical/machinist school back in the soviet union) we've had no issues (I also have two brothers who are 6 and 10 years older than me).

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

A couple of questions - I'm getting to replace the brakes on my Q70 and just received my Brakemotive kit. I did this twice on the M35x. The Q70 calls for a copper based grease or Molykote AS880N the matching faces between the brake pad and shim and to install the shim and shim cover to the brake pad. Do I need the shims and shim covers when replacing the pads with the Brakemotive kit? It also calls for applying the copper based brake grease to the matching faces between the brake pad and pad retainer. What brand/type of copper based brake grease do you recommend? I can't find the Molykote for sale on the web at a reasonable price. I did find 3M Copper Anti-Seize Brake Lube and ordered a bottle. Hoping to do the install next Saturday

Thanks - Kerry

Ilya

Kerry, I've personally not used brake grease in a few years (maybe even a decade). When I first started doing my own DIY work I used to use it if it was provided but since then I have many tens of thousands on my cars (and bikes) with no brake squeal until the brakes actually need changing. I do install the shims themselves when also included, but don't specifically go looking to apply the grease.

Again, others may disagree with me (as above re: the anti-seize) but I was taught by an old school technical/machinist apprentice and it's been working for me.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Thanks Ilya - just to clarify - the only shims you install are the ones that come in the kit already attached to the pad. The OEM inner shim and outer shim cover are not needed - correct?

Ilya

I just did my wife's brakes on her QX60 and the OEM shims that came off her old pads wouldn't fit on the new ones just right so I went without em. No grease either. She's had no brake noise in the first 1k she's put on those brakes other than in the mornings due to car sitting and rotors getting slightly moist or whatever.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”