Howto: Add Aux Input to Infiniti QX4 & Others

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Quick disclaimer: this isn't a gentle step-by-step. This is intended to be a somewhat high-level article on the techniques used to add an aux input to your stock Bose stereo. Anyone comfortable with a pair of pliers and a drill will certainly be quite comfortable with what goes on here. If an ape like me can do it, you probably can too. These instructions are intentionally vague in some areas, because this procedure is (as far as I know) applicable to any Nissan or Infiniti vehicle that has the 8-pin DIN on the back of the stereo. This howto was a compilation of many sources, including ones for the 2006-gen Altima to a 1994 Q45. Thank you to all of them. I can't make any guarantees about whether your particular vehicle will have the necessary components, but if you contact me or post your success/failures with certain vehicles, I can compile a list. I hope this will serve not only QX4 owners like myself, but others seeking that golden tap to their stereo. In my particular case I was using a 2001 Infiniti QX4 with all the goodies, including OEM navigation. The stereo I was interacting with was a Bose CK198.

There are a few things you'll need for the project:
1. The 8-pin connector. Best bet: eBay. Here's the Wikipedia article so you know what to look for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector (NOT the mini-DIN)
2. Wire. Do yourself a favor and buy a few different colors. If you can't, no big deal, but you'll be getting good at labeling
3. 3.5mm connector (or XLR, banana jack, RCA, RJ-45, I don't care) Mini-XLR might be a consideration if you're looking for locking ability. Though, there are lockable 3.5mm connectors too...
4. Toggle switch - just like a light switch. Click it on, the electricity keeps flowing. Off, and the current is interrupted. (read: no momentary switches or your finger will get tired keeping it pressed all the way through Innagadadavida)
5. 2 x Radio Shack EI-19 transformers. I'm including the preamp from the Beavis HiFi Passive Preamplifier tutorial. His tutorial covers all the reasons why it's a good idea, and I can testify that it does make a huge difference. http://beavishifi.com/projects/Passive_ ... /index.htm
6. A drill and some drill bits sized to your button and audio connector - If you're going to be punching holes in your car's dash or console. Naturally this isn't a requirement; you could just run cables out from under panels and such. If you're using this as a stop-gap measure until you upgrade the stereo, that may be the way to go.
7. All your cabling and soldering supplies. Vertical cutters, various knives, pliers, wire strippers, screwdrivers, chainsaws. If this is your first time soldering, there are plenty of fully-qualified, not brain-damaged soldering tutorials out there.
8. Heat shrink and a heat gun. If you don't have these things already, I highly recommend getting them. It's the difference between a mickey-moused rig that keeps shorting itself out and an execution that looks and acts straight pro. Nearly any hardware store carries them. I bought mine from Harbor Freight and have been totally satisfied.
9. Electrical tape. If you're feeling adventatious and would like everything to be neat and organized, use it to jimmy-wrap your cables so they're not all just hanging loose. You'll probably use a touch here and there anyway.
10. 2 and 3-pin connectors if you're planning on needing to disconnect the switch and audio connector. If you're wiring them into the dash, it's highly recommended.

So, as I mentioned before, quite a few Nissan and Infiniti vehicles have this 8-pin DIN connector

In my research, I didn't see too many mentions of newer vehicles having it, probably because all the owners of newer vehicles have no need to add an aux input, as they already have them. In addition, from everything I've seen, only Bose-branded stereos have it. While there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to why it's there, the general consensus is that it's there for DVD/VCR systems. Be warned: there is generally a 6-pin DIN that looks remarkably the same, but is meant for car phones. It is very possible you could perform the same operation with it, but I can't weigh in as to whether it will work. Post any findings or hearsay if you have any!

So enough jibber-jabber! The pinout:

Pretty simple. The only thing that's not totally obvious is the "Aux on signal" and "Combi on signal". So here's what happens: when you take a 12v lead, say, from the cigarette lighter/accessory plug, and connect it to the "Combi on signal", the stereo shuts off. Don't know why, but there it is. However, when you connect that same 12v lead to the "Aux on signal", the stereo springs to life in a magical whirl, and switches into Aux mode.

Epic! Of course, once you detach the two wires, the stereo shuts off, and when turned back on, is in radio/CD/tape/LP mode, so the connection needs to be maintained for as long as you want it to stay in Aux mode. The previously mentioned toggle switch will be used for the 12v and "Aux on signal" wires. One or two sources I found said a momentary switch would work; that was not my experience. I have a feeling a clever combination of the other Combi wire in conjunction with the 12v and Aux on might avoid the stereo shutting off, but I don't care enough to risk frying anything. By the way, since it's not spelled out explicitly I'll mention that the point of view of the diagram is as if you're looking at the connector on the back of the stereo, and by extension, the back of your connector (the side you're going to be soldering onto).

So, now that we have the keys to the kingdom we need to build ourselves a cable. Get that thing wired up and remember that for our purposes, pins 2, 3, and 8 aren't used. And of course, remember what your shrink keeps telling you: give yourself some slack. But you know, cable slack. Don't attach the switch and audio connector yet. You want an 8-pin din with some wires hanging off it.

Take apart your dashboard. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do this out there, so I won't go into detail here. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to ... radio.html

Pull your stereo out and plug in your newfangled cable. Use alligator clips or something to hook up your switch and audio connector to it, and try it out! Make sure that when you flip the switch that it goes into aux mode and that once there, music can be played. If it does, go ahead and pull the button and audio plug off. Keep the cable in plugged into the stereo, get it bolted back in, and make sure that cable has somewhere to snake from toward you.

Now that we're at the fun almost-finished part, I'll give you a reminder that if you're planning on using the 2 and 3-pin connectors to be able to disconnect your connector and button, now's the time to plan them into existence. An overall diagram:

At this point either your drill starts tearing irreversible holes into your coveted dash, or you figure out some clever way to snake them out under the panels on the passenger side. Or whatever. If yours has a previously un-utilized "ashtray" like mine does, you may have found a fantastic new purpose for it. If you go the hole-drilling route, be sure to plan the location very carefully. The button I got was very tall and wide, so I put it it right below the defrost button, which turned out to be 1/8" shy of disaster. I ended up having to bend the pins down and sand the plastic on the bottom down to make it fit.

So, once you've finished with that, test your rig again, and assuming everything works, button it all up again and pat yourself on the back! Only if it works though. If it doesn't work, get someone else to pat you on the back in a sympathetic and comforting way. Then go fix it ;-)

Sources:

94-q45-aux-input-for-mp3-t194403-30.html

interfacing-aux-input-to-bose-w-o-chang ... 28754.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2002-2 ... ltima.html

http://beavishifi.com/projects/Passive_ ... amplifier/

Shizelkadizal
Car: 2002 Infinii QX4

I have a 2002 QX4 with the factory nav and a CK030 Bose stereo. Would it be the same, or is there a way I can open the stereo and check on the PCB board to make sure it is the proper connections? Thanks for the write up as if this works, I will be a very happy guy!!

Shizelkadizal

And are there any other hookups? This looks too simple to be true. Please tell me it is :-)

atraudes

Can you confirm that the model number on it is CK030? I only ask because I found absolutely 0 results on eBay or Google for it. I also didn't have any luck getting any information on it via other sources like the FSM. Anyway, I can't objectively confirm whether you have the necessary port, but every 2001+ QX4 Bose stereo I saw while looking had the port, nav or no, so there's a incredibly good chance you have it too.

And while it does seem too good to be true, I can tell you it isn't :biggrin:

As far as other hookups, rwardell recently posted a howto for tapping into the CD player signal and hijacking the signal.

how-to-conect-ipod-mp3-directly-to-fact ... 82374.html

It so happens that I since installed a new stereo and swapped the bezel for the non-nav version (this tutorial had been sitting on my desktop for a while). If you or anyone else is interested, I can sell you my old one. It has the cable built in; all you'd need to do is tap into the cigarette lighter power. I'm no professional, mind you, but it did work in my car for about 6 months with no problem!

Give us an update as to what you find when you find it!

Shizelkadizal

Interesting. I can't seem to post a picture for my IPAD, but the front of the radio right on the tape player flap says CK030. This is a 2002, not a 2001 qx4 mind you,but I don't know if that makes a difference. So how much do you want for the hookup? By the way, if you took out your navigation because the buttons were falling off (just a hunch as that's what happened to mine), I reengineered the buttons, and made new ones, and I have set of all the right side (except for the Top Auto button) if anyone is interested. Anyway, let me know where you stand. I have already ordered the parts for the device, but if we can make a deal, it would save me the trouble. Thanks, and please let me know how to post pictures from my ipad (piece of s***). I can truly say that the front of the Bose radio says CK030, but maybe I'm missing something.

Shizelkadizal

And by the way; why did you put another radio n your car?

Shizelkadizal

And I know I have a port on the back as I've taken it out and seen it. I believe it's for the overhead tv/DVD, as you stated.

suzook

I fixed my buttons by taking a tiny bit of black silicone. I put a tiny bead on the top part of button on back. Pushed in place...WALLA...buttons are nice and secure!

suzook

Shizelkadizal wrote:And I know I have a port on the back as I've taken it out and seen it. I believe it's for the overhead tv/DVD, as you stated.

If it has the second port, this mod will work.

Shizelkadizal

Nice button action :-). As for the ports; there's only the one. The other on my radio is the Infiniti antenna. Anyway, I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks guys. Again, I love the site

atraudes

I guess the model number doesn't really matter if you have the port. All I could do is verify that you have the port based on the model number, and since you do, I'd say do it to it!

For posting pictures, I upload mine to http://imgur.com/ and just link from there. As best I can tell, the forum doesn't provide a direct method for uploading pictures.

You guessed it, the buttons falling off were the primary driver behind the climate control and stereo swap, but there were other reasons. Like having to look and carefully poke at the LCD to adjust the fan (while driving), having to wait for the GPS to finish booting to adjust the fan, the noisy DVD drive... Replacing the stereo while I did all of that other work ended up being the perfect compliment.

I'll sell my radio bezel for $50 including shipping. That includes the aux cable, frame, hazard and defrost buttons, ashtray, 4WD switch, and cigarette lighter socket. No guarantees that anything but the aux cable work though. I bought a non-navi bezel from eBay, swapped all of my old components into the new frame, and the eBay components into this pictured frame, so I never actually tested them. I'm selling this as a bundle since it would be such a pain in the butt to disassemble. This may not be what you're looking for if you're just after the cable, but it could be super convenient for someone who wants to swap it in and give it a try. I'll tidy up the cables before it gets sold :rolleyes:

By the way, does anyone know if there's a place on the forum for selling stuff like this? I have a armful of leftover parts from all of the mods I've done, and I'm somewhat loathed to sling these things in howtos.

Shizelkadizal

Thank you. Because I have the cable parts, I will make it, and give it a try. I'm extremely happy with the navi, and I hope to get the IPOD cable to work, and I'll be a happy camper!! I'll keep you posted.

Shizelkadizal

Got this hooked up, and it works like a charm!!! Btw, I have a 2002 Qx4 with nav. The radio says KC030 Bose, but again, it works!!! Now I don't have to listen to the same 6 CD all the time. Everything functions also...6 CD changer with steering controls, radio, and no IPOD!!!. Great write up. Thank you!!!

nico911411

Great info!
i was going to follow these direction but then found out about the "horobooster".
Just not sure about wiring...like Inputs should be like

At the DPDT Switch: Red wires are for Left + and Right + ?? and Black wires are for Left + /Right +

And then Outputs to Radio are like Green, Blue? White/Blue/Green together Ground?
any help would be appreciated. Thanks

rwardell
Car: 2001 QX4

just finished this up for under five bucks and about an hour of my time. i decided to skip the passive amp and i am still quite happy with the results.

a few observations:
my head unit (01 qx4, six disc Bose/Clarion combo, no nav) came with a DIN connector plugged into the port, i unplugged it and powered everything up with no noticeable side effects so i cut it at about 8in up the insulation and re-purposed the connector for this mod.

in place of tapping the cig lighter i used a tap splice right into the head units 12v supply to keep everything tight, i also used socket connectors in place of butt connectors for the 3.5mm cord at the din pig tail splice point allowing me to change the length (all i had on hand was a 30" cable, kinda short..) or easily remove it if necessary.

I routed the cable through the ash trey as well, due to not having to drill and also stores the cable nicely when not in use.

my QX4 came with 3 empty switch positions in front of the shifter(seat heat i would assume) so i utilized one of them for the toggle switch.

if you have any basic automotive electronics knowledge this is a supper easy mod.
very happy with this.

thanks again to Atraudes for posting this ! :dblthumb:

Brnjac
Car: 2002 Pathfinder Chilkoot 5 speed manual

:wtf2: :wtf2: :werd:
rwardell wrote:
Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:01 pm
just finished this up for under five bucks and about an hour of my time. i decided to skip the passive amp and i am still quite happy with the results.

a few observations:
my head unit (01 qx4, six disc Bose/Clarion combo, no nav) came with a DIN connector plugged into the port, i unplugged it and powered everything up with no noticeable side effects so i cut it at about 8in up the insulation and re-purposed the connector for this mod.

in place of tapping the cig lighter i used a tap splice right into the head units 12v supply to keep everything tight, i also used socket connectors in place of butt connectors for the 3.5mm cord at the din pig tail splice point allowing me to change the length (all i had on hand was a 30" cable, kinda short..) or easily remove it if necessary.

I routed the cable through the ash trey as well, due to not having to drill and also stores the cable nicely when not in use.

my QX4 came with 3 empty switch positions in front of the shifter(seat heat i would assume) so i utilized one of them for the toggle switch.

if you have any basic automotive electronics knowledge this is a supper easy mod.
very happy with this.

thanks again to Atraudes for posting this ! :dblthumb:

Hey man,

I pulled my head unit out and found I also had something plugged into the 8 pin din port. Have you noticed any difference since you cut the cable and used it for the aux? I will try the same thing if it worked for you.

Thanks

Brnjac
Car: 2002 Pathfinder Chilkoot 5 speed manual

Hi Everyone,

I know this is an old forum but I was hoping someone could shed some light. I did this mod without the transofmers and it works great, other than the volume is a tad bit low, which I was expecting. I tried to source the original audio transformers in the guide but I could not find them (I am in Canada also). Is there any sort of small amp that I can just plug or wire in that will give me a few more DB gain?

Cheers

MisterH
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

Brnjac wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:49 am
Hi Everyone,

I know this is an old forum but I was hoping someone could shed some light. I did this mod without the transofmers and it works great, other than the volume is a tad bit low, which I was expecting. I tried to source the original audio transformers in the guide but I could not find them (I am in Canada also). Is there any sort of small amp that I can just plug or wire in that will give me a few more DB gain?

Cheers
These kits allow you to avoid having to cut any wires and ensure you have proper balancing of your line inputs:

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-niscdc.html

The Grand Pooh-Bah
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4

Just found this post and got excited about adding an AUX port to my radio. Only problem is they no longer make those transformers. No luck finding them on ebay either. Anyone know of another source for an equivalent transformer?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... GAnCAugXyA

Also available on eBay but only from the Far East, no US sellers.

The Grand Pooh-Bah

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:57 pm
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... GAnCAugXyA

Also available on eBay but only from the Far East, no US sellers.
So can you shed some light which leads on this transformer I connect to the eight pin din. This transformer has 6 connections vs radio shacks 5. The link he had posted that explains the transformer no longer works so I'm not sure how it works.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The D-K transformer has a split bobbin on both windings, where the RS transformer has only the high-ohm side split. Use the outboard pins on the low-ohm side of the D-K and leave the center pin on that side unconnected

The Grand Pooh-Bah

So how do I wire these up?

Transformer #1 Input from Jack
Left + = terminal ___
Left - = terminal ____

Transformer #2 Input from Jack
Right + = terminal ____
Right - = terminal ____

Transformer #1 Output to radio
Left + = terminal ____
Left - = terminal ____

Transformer #2 Output to radio
Right + = terminal _____
Right - = terminal _____

The Grand Pooh-Bah

I get 44 ohms between the outside terminals on one side and 55 ohms on the other side of the trans former. Which side is input and which side is output?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The EI-19 is a coupling transformer and doesn't amplify, so the sides should be roughly equivalent in terms of signal transfer.

The Grand Pooh-Bah

I have no idea what that means. I just want this to work as the original post intended. I need to know how to wire these little transformers up.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The sides should be roughly equivalent in terms of signal transfer. Use either one.

The Grand Pooh-Bah

Just wanted to share this.
I found an Auto/Cancel Seat switch from a QX4 on Ebay for $10

And removed the text with some fingernail polish remover. Removed the blind plug that was next to my Heated Seat Switches. It fits like a glove and works to turn the AUX mode on the stereo.

Make sure you get the gray plug and enough wire to connect the switch to your AUX power wires.

This Project is now complete.

Thanks for all your help.

AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

Well Done! Looks factory. Since you added an Aux port, and are capable of doing wiring work, consider doing the Tweeter mod, if you haven't already done so.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

AlanAZ wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:09 pm
Well Done! Looks factory.
Yep, second that. Sweet job!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”