HowTo: Access and Replace ALL Bulbs - M37 / M56 /Q70

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

I'm back again with a DIY list for accessing all the bulbs on the Y51 Infiniti. I have at some point looked up all this information, either on forums or in the factory repair information. I figured I should share it since it might be helpful for others.

The Q70 has slightly different headlights and tail lights. I am not sure if these steps cover them exactly. All other bulbs appear to be the same 2011-current.

Disclaimer: The OEM always recommends disconnecting the battery before performing any of these steps. Also if a bulb breaks do NOT remove it with metal tools as this can cause a short in the system resulting in blow fuses or worse. Follow this guide at your own risk!

Here is the format:
  • Location/Purpose
  • Factory Bulb Type
  • Quantity needed
  • How to to access/change
Here we go:

Reverse
Type: 921
Qty: 2
How to access:
  1. Remove the trunk lid trim
  2. Disengage trunk lid emergency handle holder (1) fixing clips.
  3. Remove trunk lid bumper rubber.
  4. Insert a remover tool between trunk lid bumper rubber and trunk lid assembly and disengage pawls.
  5. Pull back trunk lid bumper rubber.
  6. Remove trunk lid pull handle.
  7. Insert a remover tool between trunk lid pull handle (1) and trunk lid assembly and disengage pawls.
  8. Pull down trunk lid pull handle.
  9. Remove trunk lid inner finisher fixing clips, and then remove trunk lid inner finisher.
  10. Disconnect the back-up lamp connector.
  11. Replace the back-up bulb
  12. Install in the reverse order of removal.
Courtesy / Puddle (doors)
Type: 168
Qty: 4
How to access:
  1. Gently pry out entire housing with nylon trim tool – it comes out very easily.
  2. Unplug harness
  3. Insert any appropriate tool into the gap between the lens. Remove the lens.
  4. Remove and replace the bulb.
Footwell (front)
How to access:
  1. Insert any appropriate tool into the gap between the lens. Remove the lens.
  2. Remove the bulb.
    Footwell Clear Replacement Lens – Part# 26421-P0000

Dome (front)
Type: BA9s
Qty: 4
How to access: Borrowed from DHCrocks of the Fresh Alloy forum:
  • For the front it's a little more tricky. use the trim tool and pry at the back side of the lens, you just want it to pop off a little, maybe a 1/4".

Then work your way to the front and pry on the sides. Be gentle, there are small delicate tabs holding it on. Do not use a lot of force. After you get the tabs released pull the lens to the rear and it should come out of the front clip.

Dome / Reading (rear)
Type: 175
How to access:
Debonair wrote:
  • Place nylon trim tool in here –
  • Gently pry the cover off
  • Remove and replace bulb

Dual Beam Headlight
Type: D2S
Qty:
How to access – Lazy method:
TheMajesticKing wrote:If you're super lazy you don't even need to jack the car up. Just turn the wheel all the way to the right if you're replacing the drivers side or turn it all the way to the left if you're replacing the passenger side. Then remove all of the clips holding the wheel-well cover towards the front of the wheel, including the one at the very top of the wheel well. Once that entire plastic flap is removed, it will reveal the back of the headlight and you can easily twist off the cap that will expose the D2S bulb.
How to access – OE method:
  1. Remove the fender protector front side.
  2. Rotate the resin cap counterclockwise and unlock it.
  3. Rotate the bulb socket counterclockwise and unlock it.
  4. Remove the retaining spring lock. And then remove the bulb from the headlamp housing assembly.
Fog
Type: H8
How to access – lazy method: Same as Headlight above
  1. Remove the fender protector front side.
  2. Remove the front fog lamp bulb connector (1).
  3. Rotate the bulb (2) counterclockwise and unlock it.
Front Side Marker
Type: 194
How to access – lazy method: Same as Headlight above
  1. Remove the fender protector front side. Keep a service area.
  2. Rotate the bulb socket counterclockwise and unlock it.
  3. Remove the bulb from the bulb socket.
Front Parking
How to access: Borrowed from DHCrocks of the Fresh Alloy forum:
  • First step is to remove the rubber trim piece on the fender inside the engine compartment. It is held on by a push pin clip on the side and 3 clips on the bottom. After removing the side push pin, gently work your way front to back and lift up the rubber trim. you will see the white clips that are holding it on. Use a trim tool to get at the base and pry up. Try not to just pull on the clips as you could break them off. You don't need to completely remove it, just push it off to the side.

Once you get that out of the way you need to remove a metal bracket, it is held on with a single 10mm bolt.

Here you can see the socket for the parking light. to remove twist the connector about a quarter turn and pull out.
License Plate
How to access:
  1. Open the trunk or kneel down behind bumper
  2. Remove two screws per license plate bulb housing
  3. Remove license plate bulb housing from trunk
  4. Disconnect the wiring connectors - Be careful not to allow it to fall into the trunk
  5. Disengage license lamp lens fixing pawls, with a flat-bladed screwdriver
  6. Remove the bulb.
  7. Change the bulb, reverse the process to install
Trunk
Type: 158
Qty: 1
How to access:
  1. Insert any appropriate tool into the gap between the lens. Remove the lens.
  2. Remove the bulb.

Front Turn Signal
Type: 7440A
How to access:
  1. Rotate the bulb socket counterclockwise and unlock it.
  2. Remove the bulb from the bulb socket.

Rear Turn Signal
Type: 7440A
How to access:
You must remove the center trim; there are 3 push clips on each side and then make sure to gently lift straight up for the 4 clips underneath.
Pull the carpet trim away to get to the 2 nuts.
Carefully pull the taillight straight out toward the back of the car.
Debonair wrote:Wash your hands with dawn dish soap, remove the trim panel and the two nuts, and then use your palms on the side of the lamp to pull it toward the rear of the vehicle. It will start coming out very little at a time. Eventually it will pop out. You might want to protect the bumper below it in case it gets away from you and swings down causing scratches. Mine did not get away from me when it popped out, I caught it, but It did surprise me and I can see it easily happening to someone.

It took me a bit to get the first one out. Once I knew what to expect and how much force to pull with the second was easier. There is no way to push it out from the inside. Also if you need to get them out again it is MUCH easier the second time.

Vanity Mirror
Type: 29mm Fuse Lamp
How to access:
  1. Insert any appropriate tool into the gap between the lens to remove the lens.
  2. Remove the bulb.
Glove Box
Type: #74
Qty: 1
How to access:
Debonair wrote: You have to remove the glove box and the panel above it to get to the light.
Debonair wrote:This video shows how to get access the glove box light bulb (on the way to the cabin air filter). I suggest you change the cabin air filter while you are in there for the bulb so that you do not have to do this twice.

Non-serviceable Lighting

Rear Side Marker
Type: Factory LED
Qty: N/A
How to access: N/A

Tail Light

Brake

Center High Mount Brake

Exterior Front Door Handle
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix links

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Excellent work, my man. This will be added to the FAQ.

Edit: Also, I changed your thread title. #sorrynotsorry :rotflmao

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Very nice indeed. Thanks for the contribution.

Debonair

Courtesy / Puddle Light Pic

bearcave
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x
2006 Impala SS(SOLD)
2012 Honda CR-V

Thanks need to change a fog light and a park light.Also i have which seems a 6k hid. are hid factory install?

SlowTrafficKeepRight
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

What about the courtesy light inside the door handle? I have one that's out and haven't been able to find instructions anywhere on how to replace it.

Debonair

SlowTrafficKeepRight wrote:What about the courtesy light inside the door handle? I have one that's out and haven't been able to find instructions anywhere on how to replace it.
Infiniti says: Always replace outside handle lamp together with outside handle as a set, when replacing since outside handle lamp is integrated with outside handle.

This sounds like it is non-servicable OR that they do not offer the light as a separate part, so you have to order both together. Most likely its non-serviceable.

SlowTrafficKeepRight
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

Debonair wrote:
SlowTrafficKeepRight wrote:What about the courtesy light inside the door handle? I have one that's out and haven't been able to find instructions anywhere on how to replace it.
Infiniti says: Always replace outside handle lamp together with outside handle as a set, when replacing since outside handle lamp is integrated with outside handle.

This sounds like it is non-servicable OR that they do not offer the light as a separate part, so you have to order both together. Most likely its non-serviceable.
Thank you! That's kind of annoying, a whole handle replacement sounds a lot more expensive that a little LED bulb lol. Oh well. Maybe I'll take a look at it this weekend and see if it looks serviceable or not. But either way, thank you for the reply. I'm new to this forum as well, recently bought an 11 M37 after a couple years away from Infiniti. I'll post something up on the intro thread later this evening.

iamLorenzo
Car: 2006 Imapala SS / 2007 G35 / 2013 Infiniti M56S

Hey guys I know this topic has aged some but I have an issue with new bulb installation. I have replaced almost every old yellow bulb in my m56, but I am having issues with the front dome light bulbs. I have purchased 2 different pairs of ba9s bulbs so far and cannot get either to work. I know the socket is working correctly because when I insert the original bulbs back into the assembly they work fine, I have also reversed the polarity on the aftermarket bulbs to see if that changed anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem may be or a solution.

ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

Make sure the metal clip is touching the base of the LED bulb. I had to bend mine to make it touch.

WARNING: place insulating tape (or paper) between the 2 contacts BEFORE you bend the metal clip, to avoid short circuits.

iamLorenzo
Car: 2006 Imapala SS / 2007 G35 / 2013 Infiniti M56S

ibc wrote:Make sure the metal clip is touching the base of the LED bulb. I had to bend mine to make it touch.

WARNING: place insulating tape (or paper) between the 2 contacts BEFORE you bend the metal clip, to avoid short circuits.

I have made sure the back clip has made contact without any success, they just refuse to work correctly, it just bothers me to have every other light updates and these appear dated. @ibc do you have any other suggestion on why it won't work. :confused:

Debonair

Do you have a way to manually test the LED bulbs that are not working? I'll have to post up a pic of my bulb test setup. If you plugged them in standard polarity you may have shorted them, then when you reversed their polarity they refuse to work. This is not too common but can happen.

Any pics or links to type of bulb(s) you have tried?

mrnix
Car: Currently 2012 M37X, Malbec Black
Formerly 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

I may have done the same thing as Lorenzo above. I bought some BA9s LEDs from Amazon to replace my front dome lights, and none of them worked. I wasn't aware of any requirement to reverse the polarity. They were also a tick smaller than the factory bulbs. I think I will return them and get the LED panels I saw posted in another thread, but I will have to find out more about the polarity reversal requirement.

Debonair

The panels come with a two prong plug that makes it incredibly easy to test and reverse.

mrnix

Debonair wrote:The panels come with a two prong plug that makes it incredibly easy to test and reverse.
I suppose I should have specified. What I bought were BA9s LED bulbs. I don't know of a way to reverse the polarity there.

Debonair

mrnix wrote:
Debonair wrote:The panels come with a two prong plug that makes it incredibly easy to test and reverse.
I suppose I should have specified. What I bought were BA9s LED bulbs. I don't know of a way to reverse the polarity there.
It was understood. I was just mentioning that the panels you plan on getting do make it easy. :dblthumb:

mrnix

Debonair wrote:
mrnix wrote: I suppose I should have specified. What I bought were BA9s LED bulbs. I don't know of a way to reverse the polarity there.
It was understood. I was just mentioning that the panels you plan on getting do make it easy. :dblthumb:
I'll order the panels. Thanks.

ibc

iamLorenzo wrote:@ibc do you have any other suggestion on why it won't work. :confused:

The only 4 possibilites are: (1) defective LED, (2) polarity reversal, (3) poor contacts, (4) lack of electricity.
I would take the bulb and test it directly at a 12V car battery. Try touching the LED contacts to the battery posts, first in one direction, then the other direction, to see which polarity works and whether polarity matters to your LED.

Here are the exact 2 panels I put into my M56 overhead lights. I put the 900 lumen into passenger side, and 600 lumen into the driver side overhead lamps. These awesome bright LED panels had a handy plug midway along the wires, so polarity reversal is done simply by unplugging & rotating that connector.
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Bright-Int ... B017R2QYNK
https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Bright-Int ... B017QXN3CU

Debonair

A quick note on fog light bulb replacement; the drivers side bulb can EASILY be changed from the top by removing the air filter box and reaching down. :bigthumb: The passenger side is still only accessible from the bottom due to the huge washer fluid reservoir. :argh

ssmrico
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37S

Or if u have small hands like me from the bottom it still can be done just not so easily still lol

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

Nice write up. Thanks for doing it.

Dark_Knight
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD
2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD

ibc wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:49 pm
iamLorenzo wrote:@ibc do you have any other suggestion on why it won't work. :confused:

The only 4 possibilites are: (1) defective LED, (2) polarity reversal, (3) poor contacts, (4) lack of electricity.
I would take the bulb and test it directly at a 12V car battery. Try touching the LED contacts to the battery posts, first in one direction, then the other direction, to see which polarity works and whether polarity matters to your LED.

Here are the exact 2 panels I put into my M56 overhead lights. I put the 900 lumen into passenger side, and 600 lumen into the driver side overhead lamps. These awesome bright LED panels had a handy plug midway along the wires, so polarity reversal is done simply by unplugging & rotating that connector.
After some trial and error with other bulbs I ordered the led panels from the first link in this post and they worked for me. You may have to adjust the contact points where the bulb base goes into but they do work.

MY2J
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37

ibc wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:49 pm
iamLorenzo wrote: Here are the exact 2 panels I put into my M56 overhead lights. I put the 900 lumen into passenger side, and 600 lumen into the driver side overhead lamps. These awesome bright LED panels had a handy plug midway along the wires, so polarity reversal is done simply by unplugging & rotating that connector.

So I bought these LED boards and the BA9 connector is nowhere near as thick to make a good contact. Is there any way to make them thicker or something that can be added like a sleeve? I hate aftermarket LED's for this very reason. None of them ever work correctly or they take a s*** within a year :facepalm:

ibc

As stated earlier, I had to pinch my BA9 socket a little bit, to make it a weensy bit tighter. Very slight deformation, You'd never know by looking at it. Then it holds perfectly. It's been working flawlessly for 3 yrs.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”