How to spot up graded oil system?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
whitetiger777
Car: 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R

So as I wait local importers to get their next batch of GTR's, I'm reading that up grading the oil system is a must. Does anyone have any pics of what an up graded oil system will look like. I hear something about switching out for a R33 crank, or welding on a bigger passage. If someone could post some pics of what I'm looking at it will help as I inspect these vehicles.

Thanks

whitetiger777

Also where are you guys getting your basic maintenance part from? Spark plugs, oil filters, timing belts, ect?

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

whitetiger777

Great freakin read, book marked that one. Now I know about maintenance parts except for maybe the timing belt, but I guess there's no way to tell visually if the oil system has been up graded?

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

whitetiger777 wrote:
Great freakin read, book marked that one. Now I know about maintenance parts except for maybe the timing belt, but I guess there's no way to tell visually if the oil system has been up graded?
AFAIK you can't tell from a simple inspection because on earlier R32s like what we're getting in currently you don't just need to upgrade the oil pump but you have to swap the crank for a later one with a wider collar since that's what causes the pump issues in the first place.

Here's a good article on the issue:

http://www.skylife4ever.com/2011/01/rea ... -pump.html

As for maintenance, I did all the preventive stuff on my R32 already and did a write-up with some info on where to get the needed items:

http://23gt.blogspot.com/2015/06/fixing ... yline.html

Almost all basic maintenance items can be had from your local parts store or Amazon. The water pump and timing belt kit were the only ones had to get differently, the former from a Japanese parts store (non-N1 water pumps are actually harder to find than N1 versions) and the latter from Tacoma Nissan via eBay.

whitetiger777

More good info. I'm liking this.

M35Squirrel

GSX-R35 wrote:As for maintenance, I did all the preventive stuff on my R32 already and did a write-up with some info on where to get the needed items:

Just read your write-up, and I would like to clarify 2 things.

Engine oil drain and refill, including oil filter replacement, is 4.6 liter.

Redline Heavy Shockproof is designed for differentials. It is rated similar to 75W-90, but it is a GL-5 spec, not GL-4. And it is not recommended to be used on synchros because the thick film may cause gears to slip off synchro. It is suited for hypoid gears used in differentials.

That said, my transmission is making a lot of noise as well, and so far the cheapest solution probably is to try Redline Heavy Shockproof. :gotme

GSX-R35

M35Squirrel wrote:
GSX-R35 wrote:As for maintenance, I did all the preventive stuff on my R32 already and did a write-up with some info on where to get the needed items:

Just read your write-up, and I would like to clarify 2 things.

Engine oil drain and refill, including oil filter replacement, is 4.6 liter.

Redline Heavy Shockproof is designed for differentials. It is rated similar to 75W-90, but it is a GL-5 spec, not GL-4. And it is not recommended to be used on synchros because the thick film may cause gears to slip off synchro. It is suited for hypoid gears used in differentials.

That said, my transmission is making a lot of noise as well, and so far the cheapest solution probably is to try Redline Heavy Shockproof. :gotme
I put 5 liters for the oil to indicate how much you need to buy, not necessarily how much to put in the car. Since you can't buy exactly 4.6 liters and you may end up needing slightly more or less I said 5 to make sure people didn't buy too little. I clarified that in my DIY on doing an oil change.

As for the Heavy Shockproof, you obviously know more about it than I do but I went with the recommendation based on reading Sean Morris's articles and after talking to him. He had good experience with using it in his car and my experience with my car echoes his so far. Also saw a lot of forum posts supporting it like this one:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/154163-redli ... f-oil.html

M35Squirrel

GSX-R35 wrote:I went with the recommendation based on reading Sean Morris's articles and after talking to him. He had good experience with using it in his car and my experience with my car echoes his so far. Also saw a lot of forum posts supporting it like this one:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/154163-redli ... f-oil.html
I don't disagree with you. :)
Even though mine just had a fluid change, I think I will change it again to Heavy Shockproof and see if that helps.

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

GL-5 gear oil like Redline Shockproof will eat through the soft brass of your synchros. Like literally, the metal dissolves and wears away. You'll protect your transmission's actual gears but you'd also better learn how to rev-match and double-clutch down the road when the synchros are useless.

whitetiger777

So, which trans oil do you use?

GSX-R35

kabob wrote:GL-5 gear oil like Redline Shockproof will eat through the soft brass of your synchros. Like literally, the metal dissolves and wears away. You'll protect your transmission's actual gears but you'd also better learn how to rev-match and double-clutch down the road when the synchros are useless.
Redline themselves responded to this question on this thread and said you can use shockproof with synchros and that "thousands" use it without issue - although they recommend using lightweight shockproof first in a tranny application. I don't claim to be an expert - just pointing out that's what Redline says and Sean Morris has said he's used Shockproof in his R32 trannies without issue so that's why he recommends it on his site.

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/to ... -question/

RainR32
Car: R32 GT-R / 2015 STI Stage 2

GSX-R35 wrote:
kabob wrote:GL-5 gear oil like Redline Shockproof will eat through the soft brass of your synchros. Like literally, the metal dissolves and wears away. You'll protect your transmission's actual gears but you'd also better learn how to rev-match and double-clutch down the road when the synchros are useless.
Redline themselves responded to this question on this thread and said you can use shockproof with synchros and that "thousands" use it without issue - although they recommend using lightweight shockproof first in a tranny application. I don't claim to be an expert - just pointing out that's what Redline says and Sean Morris has said he's used Shockproof in his R32 trannies without issue so that's why he recommends it on his site.

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/to ... -question/
I'm very happy running Redline shockproof in my tranny :dblthumb:

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”