How To: Replacing throwout bearing

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

I just did this yesterday, and I thought I could share this with you guys. This will take only a couple of minutes.

This is a throwout bearing that came with a new clutch kit. My old one was loose and it was turning really well. Someone said it shouldn't turn like that, so I figured I should replace old one with a new one.

First, butt sockets together like this and tape them.

Place old bearing and sleeve on top of sockets.

Put a large socket in the middle and just tab it out. You don't have to hit it hard. I also sprayed PB Blaster a little bit.

It'll come out like this.

This is a new bearing on release sleeve.

36mm socket fits perfect. Tab it to put the bearing on the sleeve. Again, you don't have to hit it hard.

It's not going to go all the way in with a 36mm socket, so I used a roll of magnetic tape like this to push the bearing all the way in.

OEM bearing is on the right side and new bearing pressed to the release sleeve on the leaft side.

Unfortunately, I found out aftermarket bearing has some play. It moves around 1-2mm like in below picture. I removed it from the sleeve and will buy an OEM bearing. You should inspect the bearing before put it on. I hit it very lightly, so there's no way it was damaged during installation. Quality of OEM bearing looks much better than aftermarket anyway. Aftermarket bearing came with a clutch kit for free, so I guess I got what I paid for.
Modified by 94_240sx at 8:51 AM 2/25/2008

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

thanks, did you want a custom title change?

94_240sx

d!ck wrote:thanks, did you want a custom title change?
d!ck, you are welcome, and no thanks on title change.

frsh13
Car: 1991 240sx coupe

Wish you posted this 6 months ago. When I was putting in my second KA I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to change the throw out bearing. Just ended up using the old one since it was still in decent condition. Il be ready next time though.

94_240sx

frsh13 wrote:Wish you posted this 6 months ago. When I was putting in my second KA I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to change the throw out bearing. Just ended up using the old one since it was still in decent condition. Il be ready next time though.
Next time, do the seals also.zer...age=8

silviaS13lover
Car: yellow llama onevia

nice, i just put in a stage 1 exedy clutch in my car this morning at my school. the instructer did the throwout bearing, but all in all, my car came in at 8:00am, and was on the road by 10:20am. lol i think it went pretty fast for a bunch of first timers, me and 2 buddies. i think the instructer used some sort of press for the throwout bearing.

Smokey Pinto

Hey, do you know
silviaS13lover wrote:nice, i just put in a stage 1 exedy clutch in my car this morning at my school. the instructer did the throwout bearing, but all in all, my car came in at 8:00am, and was on the road by 10:20am. lol i think it went pretty fast for a bunch of first timers, me and 2 buddies. i think the instructer used some sort of press for the throwout bearing.
is the bearing is supposed to spin by hand after it's inserted in the release sleeve?

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

missed this. thanks for posting. indexed.

Throwout bearing

Clutch Pedal

Transmission seal

Modified by vancouverbc at 8:25 PM 1/1/2009

Modified by vancouverbc at 8:34 PM 1/1/2009
Modified by vancouverbc at 8:37 PM 1/1/2009

Justin35ll
Car: s13 coupe sr20det

Yeah, it's easy I just did this. Went to my local store and had them order me a release bearing for a 89ish nissan pathfinder. It's the same as the oem SR. I looked at a pic on the screen to make sure it was the right one before I ahd her order it.

Kalypso

AWESOME ARTICLE!!!

When taking my bearing off I was afraid to hit it too hard.

but after slamming the old one off... putting the new one back was pretty smooth.

EDIT::

to silviaS13lover: yeah its nice having a press. 2 hours is incredible timing though.

removing the trans and everything... thats sick.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”