How to replace S13 headlight motors

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
MastaYu
Car: 92 240SX HB SE

Sup everyone. Ever since I purchased my S13 my headlight motors never worked, so the headlights always stayed up. I finally bought some headlight motors. The purpose of this writeup is to show you how to remove your headlight motors.

Difficulty: 1/5

Time: <1hour

Cost: Varys on where you purchase the replacement headlight motors.

Tools needed:- 3/8 Ratchet- 3/8 Short extension- 10mm, 14mm Socket- Philips Screw driver- flash light if more light is needed- WD40, PBlaster, freeze off, etc. either one of these is fine

Parts needed:-Working headlight motors

Procedure: First disconnect the negative battery terminal. Safety first

You may need to lift your car to have more room. Next remove your splash guard. My car didnt have it.

This is what my car looks like from the bottom. Currently running hids.

Remove the headlight motor's ground with a 10mm socket, short extension, and ratchet.

Headlight motor ground is off

Next their are 3 10mm screws holding the headlight motor in place. This is also the part where WD40 comes in. I chose to use PBlaster just because it was the first thing I found. Also if you have a shroud around your headlights this would be a good time to take them off. Use a Philips screw driver to remove the shroud's screws.

Go ahead and spary all of the 10mm screws. My lower screw was pretty rusty. You can let the WD40 marinade a little bit

Now you have to remove you headlights. Use your Philips screw driver and remove the 2 upper screws.

Should look like this afterwards.

Gently remove and disconnect your headlight and put it in a safe place.

Now it should look like this. The purpose of removing the headlight is to get better access to the 3 10mm screws.

Time to attack the 10mm screws that mount the headlight motor. This is when the flash light or shop lamp comes in handy.

Use the ratchet and 10mm socket to get to the first 10mm screw. This one is the easiest one to get to.

Next is the lower 10mm screw. For this one you have to use the 10mm socket, extension, and ratchet. You have to come up from the bottom of the car and go right over the bumper support. This one was a little bit harder to get to.

The last one is the top 10mm screw. For this one you should use the same tool setup as the lower bolt. To remove this screw I had to go through the headlight opening in order to reach the screw. This one wasnt too hard to get out.

After you take out all of the 10mm screws your headlight motor should look like this. Now this is the part where you use the 14mm socket to take off the linkage from the headlight motor. If you dont take it off the motor will not come out.

Here is a pic of it not coming out

Here is a pic of where the 14mm nut is. Once you take off the linkage, the headlight motor will come out.

Lastly you have to disconnect the headlight motor harness.

Now the bad motor is out. The install is basically the reverse of the install. Now enjoy not having to manually open and lower your headlights
Modified by MastaYu at 6:24 PM 6/3/2009

Wc240
Car: 89 240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

pretty good write up.scissor lift?

S13Joe
Car: 92 Coupe

I really appreciate the detail but, you must really want that custom title eh?

Oh one more thing, no need to use jack. And I actually have a problem with my headlights too... they both go up but then one of them doesn't go down... my car winks at hot b****es. I'm serious. Wtf is this s***?

MastaYu
Car: 92 240SX HB SE

^ it was very hard to find something to make a write up about that hasnt already been covered, that i was going to do.

Osirux
Car: 1992 NA Miata

Atleast we know your car isn't gay..

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

excellent

terry_240sx
Car: '93 240sx hatch

nice write up!
does anyone know where i could source NEW motors for my headlights??

Return to “240sx General Discussion”