how to replace alternator belt

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
gotspeed
Car: 96 nissan pathfinder 97 infiniti J30

I have a 1997 Infinit J30. i need to know the procedure for replacing the belt on my alternator. Any help will be appreciated. thanks. i havent found anything specific to the J30.

Ebbtide

It's pretty easy and self explanatory once you get under there. In short, it's three bolts once you get the cover off.

Remove the black plastic engine cover from under the engine. Locate the the belt tensioner (on the bottom of alternator, 10mm I think) and the main bolt that holds the alternator on (its on top of the alternator, 17mm i think). Loosen the main and adjust the tensioner (don't forget to loosen the bolt on the tensioner too) until the new belt fits. Then tighten it all up real good.

You might be surprised at how tight the belt needs to be, so if you get squealing, tighten it some more.

Well, I hope that is about it. Good Luck, it should take less than a hour total. Heck, you might even be able to do it w/o getting under the car now that I think of it.

gotspeed

hey wait a minute when i went to take off the old belt i noticed that other pulleys and belt were in the way of just taking the old one off and the new one on. Do i have to take off other belts just to replace the alternator belt?
Modified by gotspeed at 1:03 PM 12/8/2007

gotspeed

bump

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Yup.The power steering pump and Air conditioner compressor belt have to come off first. Same process , loosen the tensioner and take the belt off.My suggestion would be to replace all three belts.I just did it last month and its quite easy.I might add that when you put the belts back on you tighten them up VERY tight.If not you will get a nasty belt slip squeal.

Ebbtide

gotspeed wrote:hey wait a minute when i went to take off the old belt i noticed that other pulleys and belt were in the way of just taking the old one off and the new one on. Do i have to take off other belts just to replace the alternator belt?

Modified by gotspeed at 1:03 PM 12/8/2007
Oops, my bad. Change all three while you are there. I forgot about the other belts as all I changed was the alternator last time around. This should add a few minutes to the job, sorry about that You should be able to rest easy knowing all you belts are new.

gotspeed

I ordered the timing kit from Joe and i need to do the whole thing, i will get to it as soon as possible, but my alternator belt is trully messed up. thanks for all the help guys.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”