how to remove the clock?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
ross6200
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

Just got a clock from eBay to replace my non-working one. Now, how to replace it.......do I need to remove the stereo/HVAC controls to pop it out from underneath?

xxcrashxx
Car: 95 Infiniti J30

i dont think its that easy. all though i havent tried that when i had my stereo taken apart.

95-J30tt
Car: 95 Infiniti J30tt (Twin Turbo)

to remove the clock, there are four metal clips at the bottom and four plastic clips "part of the assembly", all you need is a philips screw driver "i suggest to use a magnetic one" you can do it two ways:

the "long but sure not to break anything" way is:

1) remove the wood bazel around the radio and climate control to do that you need to remove the trany selector cover "4 clamps" and unscrew the two bolts that are under it to remove the bazel, then you will have to first unplug the ashtray wire, then unclamp the two clamps at the top of the wood bazel "they are tricky, watch out not to break or lose them"

2) there are 4 screws holding the radio and the climate control assey in place, and one holding the temperature sensor, remove them and be carefull not to break the sensor "use a magnetic screw driver so you wont lose the screws, if they fall.... tough luck"

3) pull back the unit "it will come out as one unit", and i suggest unplugging the wires to the radio and climate control so you wont cut any wire..... "all are straight forward to remove, there is a lip in each plug that you have to push inwards on (towards the center of the plug) and pull the plug at the same time, the antenna wire is a little different, but i'm sure you can figure it out"

4) remove rear passanger tire.......... "i'm just kidding"......... now you can easily reach in from the bottom and unclamp the 4 clamps holding the clock and duct unit in place.....

5) wiggle the unit a little untill the top clamps come out "they are not clamps really, they are part of the plastic frame"

6) dont pull the unit too much because the plug that is connected to the clock has thin wires, so becarefull

7) there are i believe 4 screws holding the clock to the frame, remove them, and replace, i would suggest that you test the bulbs of the clock first before putting everything back...... you dont want to go through all of this again just to change a bulb.......

the "easy but more than likely you will break something" is:

1) insert a thin small and flat screw driver into the bottom of the clock and duct unit, and have a feel for where the clamps are "2 on each side", and these clamps have a lip in them so with the right tool i guess you can access them wihtout going through all of the work mensioned above....... 2) carefully try to remove all clamps at the same time "using four small screw drivers, the ones that are used to fix glasses....." while slightly pulling on the unit....3) it should come out, but on the other hand, you might damage something while using this way

i hope this helps......

Defiant
Car: 1997 J30

FSM

xxcrashxx

ehh... so i could be wrong. LOL

ross6200
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

Thanks for the great, detailed instruction. My work is under way.....

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

I always just figured to yank it out.

Be careful tho, old clips are brittle and prone to break.

Gerardjg
Car: 2007 Cobalt LS
2011 Hyundai Accent
2016 Kia Optima

ross6200 wrote:Thanks for the great, detailed instruction. My work is under way.....
Does your old clock have the little knob on the end of the stem for adjusting,If so do you want to sell it.

Defiant
Car: 1997 J30

Gerardjg wrote:Does your old clock have the little knob on the end of the stem for adjusting,If so do you want to sell it.
Nobody really has one of those, do they? I figured on a soda straw for a mold and some JB Weld for a new knob, bit of filing and sanding. Dab of paint, if you have the wrong color. Legs off, fins on, simple metl toob thru the back o' the head so it could breathe, bit o' gold paint... lovely goldfish that'd make.

More of them would have survived if Datsu... er, Infiniti would have bothered to mention in the Owner's Manual that you don't twist it to adjust the clock, just turn a bit so the clock advances or retreats the hands on its own.

xxcrashxx

i almost didnt have mine. had to take the damn passenger seat out to get it back. it just fell off, and bounced over there. now i superglued mine in place. :D but thats not a bad idea defiant, being resourceful and creating your own.

xxcrashxx

anyone know what the diameter of the clock is?? or the diameter of the hole is?? i got plans of takin that clock out, and putting in another digital clock in the slot above my radio, since i didnt go with the cubby hole thingie. then i was gonna get one of those 52mm jdm gagues and mount that inplace of the stock clock.

btw, im doing a custom covering over the radio/ac controls/ash tray. using a thick sheet of lexan. but those plans are on hold for right now.

but yea, whats the size of the hole where the clock is at.... lol

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”