HOW TO: Rebuild Power Steering Pump for a 1995 240sx w/ KA24DE

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
goldfish
Car: 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, 1995 240sx

This is a brief overview of how to rebuild a power steering pump for a 1995 240sx w/ ka24de.Things you might want to have:Latex or nitrile glovesMechanics glovesRatchet set, specifically: ½ inch drive ratchet w/ long extension and a 12mm socketPower steering pump rebuild kit from pskits.comExtra set of hands is helpful (thanks to my wife for help)Flat head screw driverHammerC-Clip pliersSomething to drive the new oil seal in (seal is in the rebuild kit) (note: I used a large socket and short extension as pictured later in this how-to coupled with a hammer to drive the seal into place)Lastly… patience

1. This is the pump minus the pulley and hoses. I got the pump today from the junkyard, I’ve yet to remove one of these from my car, so I don’t know if the bracket that’s on it is the only one.  There are 4 bolts here, remove them. It’s recommended to replace the same bolt into the same hole upon reassembly.2. This picture shows the top removed. And the large sandwich style gasket which the kit includes a new one.3. Close up shot of the pump once the top is removed. Make sure to pay close attention and even take a picture for reference when reassembling. The vanes and center section need to be in the same locations as they are at this stage when you are putting it all back together.4. This shows the center section even further dismantled. The thing at the bottom is the vane assembly removed/separated from the rest of the pump.5. Close up of the underside of the bottom to the center section we just removed. There is a rather large o-ring here. It probably will be somewhat fused to it, or to the inside of the pump. Replace this with the large o-ring supplied by the kit you bought.6. Top down shot of the pump minus the guts. There is an o-ring here too, much smaller and it’s in the center just below the shaft.7. This is the reverse side (pulley side) There is one C-clip here that you need some c-clip pliers for to be safe, or you could TRY needle nose (don’t recommend this). I noticed that the new clip provided in the kit is weaker than the stock one. I re-used the stock c-clip upon reassembly. After the c-clip is removed flip the pump back over and squarely hit the center of the shaft to knock the shaft/bearing assembly out.8. This is the bearing and shaft assembly!9. Picture of an oil seal that needs to be pried out. Make sure to be VERY careful not to mar the walls in here with anything. I used a long flat-blade screw driver and worked my way around it until it popped out. I cleaned the inside walls as some of the fluid or previously used stop-leak(don’t know, but assuming that’s what it is) was gunked up etc.10. I ended up using a larger socket with a short ½ inch extension as a surface to evenly drive in the seal. Try to drive the seal in evenly.Shaft reinstalled with c-clip. To reinstall the shaft place it back in and tap again with the hammer on the pulley side. Reinsert the c-clip. Again… here I re-used the much beefier stock one.Reassemble the rest of it in reverse order with care to the placement of the vanes to match how things were when you first removed the top/hat. When I was done, there were about 3 unused o-rings left. I’m assuming the kit they sent services several different Nissan power steering pumps and are just extra. I looked around EVERYWHERE and could not find a place to use the left over o-rings.

I was inspired to make a how-to for this because of the one posted on g20.net for a P11 power steering pump. Hope this helps someone.

-fish

EDIT:Fixing typographical errors

goldfish
Car: 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, 1995 240sx

I'll post up impressions on the rebuilt pump once I get a new rack. Looks like the whole PS system on my car is on it's way out. Newly rebuilt pump is waiting for a rebuild rack and new PS high pressure hose :D

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

good work. it made tutorial list.

tutorials
Modified by vancouverbc at 3:07 AM 8/20/2008

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Looks good! I'm submitting this to the articles guys

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”