How to program a remote key fob?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, all.

I just got myself another remote door opener from an eBay auction. It was supposedly for a 1995-1997 G20, but looked identical to my 1995 Q45 remote, so I went for it.

Of course, the question is: how do I program it to work with my Q? I did a search of the forums here and did not see anything for it (that I could tell). Basically, I have one working remote (my older one) and want to use this one that I just got as well.

So ... short of going to the dealer and paying them to do it, anyone know the answer to this issue?

Z

Axel

My dealer did it for free when I brought my car in for some other service (even though I did not buy the car there and it was out of warranty). You might want to check....

szh

Axel wrote:My dealer did it for free when I brought my car in for some other service (even though I did not buy the car there and it was out of warranty). You might want to check....

Thanks! I will ask the local dealer in San Jose (from whom I have bought two Q's in the past, so they should be reasonable about this, I would hope!)

Z

jtesensky
Vendor
Car: 2005 QX56, 2002 QX4

Here you go...1. get in the car2. manually lock the doors (by the knob)3. pop the trunk 2. insert the key into the ignition 9 times (as fast as you can).3. manually unlock & lock the drivers door (with the door switch).4. hit lock button on remote (if programming two remotes) 5. manually unlock & lock the drivers door (with the door switch).6. hit the lock button on the second remote.-Joe

szh

jtesensky wrote:Here you go...1. get in the car2. manually lock the doors (by the knob)3. pop the trunk 2. insert the key into the ignition 9 times (as fast as you can).3. manually unlock & lock the drivers door (with the door switch).4. hit lock button on remote (if programming two remotes) 5. manually unlock & lock the drivers door (with the door switch).6. hit the lock button on the second remote.-Joe

Thanks much, Joe!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Z

szh

jtesensky wrote:Here you go...1. get in the car2. manually lock the doors (by the knob)3. pop the trunk 2. insert the key into the ignition 9 times (as fast as you can).3. manually unlock & lock the drivers door (with the door switch).4. hit lock button on remote (if programming two remotes) 5. manually unlock & lock the drivers door (with the door switch).6. hit the lock button on the second remote.-Joe

Oh, yeah ... one question: which door switch? The normal door "lock-all-door-unlock driver door" or the other "lock-unlock-all-doors" that rocks up and down (but operates backward logically ... in my opinion!)

Z

jtesensky
Vendor
Car: 2005 QX56, 2002 QX4

All doors...

szh

jtesensky wrote:All doors...

Thanks much for the info! I will go try it in a moment.

Z

eric95q45

I own a 1995 Q45. I've tried Joe's procedure with an ebay purchace and I'm having problems. I can't get to the point of the flashing hazard/signal lights so I don't think it's the remote. When inserting the key, does it have to go all the way in or just break the plane.szhosain, were you able to complete the programming? Thanks in advance for all the help this forum has given me.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

This is the procedure I have on record. Please let us know if it is incomplete or doesn't work, and I'll correct it. Haven't had to use it yet. Should be child's play for Z. Right?

Reprogram Key FobJ30, 1994-1996 Q45, 1994-1996 G20To reprogram (enter new ID) key fob (keyless remote controller) follow the steps.

1. Close all doors and lock all doors2. From the door switch unlock the trunk.3. Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder six times within 10 seconds. Note: -Key should be withdrawn from ignition key cylinder completely each time. -At this time, the new ID code is entered and original (previous) ID codes are erased.4. Manually unlock and lock the driver side door5. Push any button on the new remote controller once. If there is only one remote controller skip step 6.6. Additional ID code entry: -Repeat step 4 and 57. END.

Note:-If you need to activate more than two additional new remote controllers, repeat the procedure on step 6 "Additional ID code entry" for each new remote controller. Entry of maximum four ID codes is allowed and any attempt to enter more will be ignored.

eric95q45

Thanks Brian, I will try this. It is a little different from the procedure in my manual (it says to turn ignition to acc. at one point) I'll do it when I get home tonight.

szh

eric95q45 wrote:I own a 1995 Q45. I've tried Joe's procedure with an ebay purchace and I'm having problems. I can't get to the point of the flashing hazard/signal lights so I don't think it's the remote. When inserting the key, does it have to go all the way in or just break the plane.szhosain, were you able to complete the programming? Thanks in advance for all the help this forum has given me.

Worked like a charm for me! My new key fob is programmed up. The only thing I had to worry about was to make sure that the inserts were done cleanly and quickly.

Note that the key had to go all the way in, and this is a bit tricky to control. So smoothness of key insert is better than speed in this regard!

Z

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Quote »Note that the key had to go all the way in[/quote]Yup, partial entry just don't cut it, even with an ignition key.

You did you use the master, right? Just checking.

szh

maxnix wrote:Yup, partial entry just don't cut it, even with an ignition key.

You did you the master one, right? Just checking.

The master key, yes!

Z

eric95q45

I used the master also. Some of my tries may not have bottomed out though. I will tryy again. I still have to look for the flashing hazard/signal lights, right?

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Gotta go to the bottom, or it doesn't count.;)

eric95q45

I went all the way to the bottom, more than 10 times in 10 seconds, and I STILL never got the flashing hazard/signal lights. Could there be a mechanical/electrical problem? My old remote worked fine until my wife lost it, along with my other master key!

mewt240
Car: multimedia artwork

I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to follow these instructions with my 1996 G20. I bought a new key fob from infinitipartsusa.com and I am not getting any response from my car. I am using a copy of the main key(to open the doors and start ignition) will this affect the results? It sounds like the hazard light are supposed to flash signalling it is ready for a new remote? I bought this car used recently and It did not come with a remote, infinitiparts said my car came with one from the factory according to the vin#

mewt240
Car: multimedia artwork

has anyone else had the problem with the hazard lights not flashing?Is there any fuses or anything? can I check the ECU for any problems with the alarm system?the original master key didn't help. I talked to infinitipartsusa and they said I should go to my local dealer for them to diagnose why it's not programming properly(I really don't want to do that!)

szh

I do not recall whether the hazard lights flashed or nor on my Q (frankly, I do not recall looking for the flash), but the reprogramming as stated in this post did work for me.

But I would suspect that the Q45 programming instructions might be different from the G20, even though the fobs look alike.

Z

szh

szhosain wrote:But I would suspect that the Q45 programming instructions might be different from the G20, even though the fobs look alike.

Ah, never mind. Maxnix's post said that the instructions are the same for the Q45 and the G20. I do not know why it is not working for you ...

Z

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

This is what I got from my local Infiniti dealership:

TECHNICAL BULLETIN ITB93-068

J30/G20/Q45 Remote Transmitter Programming

Applied Models: 1993-94 J30; 1993.5 G20; 1994 Q45

SERVICE INFORMATION:

The proper procedure for programming additional remote controllers is listed below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:

While sitting inside the vehicle:

1. Open the trunk.2. Close and lock all doors.3. Insert and remove the key from the ignition six (6) times within ten (10) seconds.4. Manually unlock and lock the driver’s door once (1) to enable “setting” mode.5. Push the lock button on the new remote controller once (1), just long enough to hear it beep, within five (5) seconds of completing step 4.6. If additional remotes are needed (up to 3), repeat steps 4 and 5 for each additional remote immediately after programming the first remote.

Note: A total of four (4) remotes can be programmed to function on the same vehicle.

For additional information, please refer to page BF-38 of the 1993 and 1994 J30 Service Manuals; page BF-17 of the 1993 G20 Service Manual Supplement; and page EL-148 of the 1994 Q45 Service Manual.

The procedure may be different for different years.

Call the parts guy at your local dealership.

He will need the Serial number of your car, and the FCC code off the back of the remote. You may not have the right remote.

candela

does anyone have an idea for a 1995 240sx SE? I am having teh same problem... used car with NO remote.

kimrober
Car: 1996 Q45t, 2002 Q45

Would 97+ remote work on pre-96 Qs?97+ remote looks much nicer with chrome ring. :D

Return to “General Chat”