How to Make your own Coil Pack Sub Harness DIY S14 SR20DET

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Romanuts
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx

Well I Made this Harness for my Friend who got an Effed up harness so I Figured I would share in hope this might help someone out someday.

Tools and other **** you will need,Soldering gun, 14 gauge wire, Needle nose pliers, Electrical tape(3M prefered), Heat Shrink Tubing, Original harness, Flat head screw Driver,And Lots and Lots or Patience! Total time it took was about 3 hours! My first one and I pay close attention to small details.

First thing I did was cut open the original harness to route and cut new wires to the same length. As you can see the original harness is effed up!, but no worries new 14 Gauge wire will be used.Now as for the plugs, if your's are broken or missing you can use the same ones out of many other nissan's as long as the have the yellow tab inside.They are 3 pronged connectors and used on other parts of the vehicle so may be sourced elseware. I scored a good set from our harness room at work.I made a quik drawing of the the harness so I know where everything goes as you can see the First wire is a ground and are all connected to one wire.the second one in line seems to be a main power wire that suplies constant power to the coil pack as it is also connected to one wire that goes to the main plug. the last wire seems to be what gives the coil pack its signal to fire so is individually connected to the main plug, you will also notice thefirst cylinder coil pack signal wire is spliced into to different places on the main plug, I do think one is the signal to fire and the other tells the Ecu the first cylinder has fired. Now here's my sketch and then a better one on ms paint.Second now that you know where everything should go and how it works, you need to take apart your chosen connectors, the yellow insert comes out fairly easy by inserting a small flat head screw driver in the red area. once out there are three clips that need to be "unlocked" to release the old wires. You should now have the wire out and you will need to save the metal clip. To open the Wire spread open the clip here,Once apart the rubber "boot" can slide out and the wire may be removed and thrown away. the area where the wire was will be where the new Wire will be soldered.So now Choose what color you want to identify what and cut wire to length. I chose black for all grounds and Red for the Main power and black for the signal wire.Dont mix them up or you will have problems later on so mark everything! here are my first three wires to the first cylinder Coil pack.(black and red is all I had)Now Use the metal clips and crimp the area you spread open onto the new wires after using a good wire stripper on them.Solder them till they are nice and tight, dont be messy with solder or leave it to bubbly as it wont allow the "boot" to go over them!. Slide the boot over the wire and you should be ready to clip them into the connector now.They should make a "click" noise when it is in the connector securely, and after the "click" turn it over and install the locking yellow clip, and if you cleaned the connector like I did reinstall the green silicone o-ring that goes inside the connector.Repeat untill you have all four finished keeping in mind to measure and compare the length to the original harness!. I decided to use a wire loom and black electrical tape to protect the harness, I dont like using the tape but it's all I had at the moment so if you must I prefer 3M.Compare the old protectors that came with the original harness and cut to length the New wire loom than tape if off all around till itscompletly covered.Be sure to add a small piece of shrink tubing the ends to keep debree out in the future. Use a heat gun or a small lighter torch to shrink the tubing.Now remeber how the first wire is a ground connect them all together while adding one wire at the end to eventually connect to the back of the block.and as for the second main power wire connect them together as well while also adding a wire at the end to connect to the main plug. I know itseems weird but its how the original harness is so we are not doing anything extra or new.A small piece of ziptie keeps them all in place while you solder. you remove them when ur done. Also shrink tube the area you have Soldered to protect themand to keep them from contacting each other. Note the four signal wires and Main power wire and the number one cylinder wire to ecu should be marked and ready for soldering. Take the connector apart. It is much easier and you reuse the metal clips aswell. Solder them the same way as the other ones.Now plug the wires where they go, remember to keep looking at your diagram to make sure they dont get mixed up. you can shrink tube the rest or Tape itoff aswell, remember to Separate the ground wire and loom that aswell with a smaller loom. You are close to finishing remeber to use an electrical tester to make sure you got solid connections and everything is where it should be. Test fit the harness and connect the ground wire and main plug and fire it off!I hope this helps anyone, If you think I left something out (which I probably did, it's not easy working and taking pics as I go) add it in or I willtry and add it as I will more than likley make another one for me.

nissancefiro

wow good job, thats really good. i think ama do the same,

Kalypso

NICE WORK!!!

James@CI
Car: 89 Nissan 240sx with SR20DET

That looks really good nice job!

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

Nice job Let d!ck know about your thread and you should be able to get a custom title.

Romanuts

Thanks for the feedback. I will try and let d!ck know, if anyone else has tried this let me know if I have left anything out. thanks.

Sabot

Nice work man looks good

LayNLow240
Car: 92 240 coupe

Awesome, this helped me out a ton! My coilpack harness was burnt. So i went and got the plug i needed since one of them was melted. Got everything test fitted, just need to solder everything up tomorrow. Only thing is i forgot to measure how long the origional harness is. But other than that this helped great. Now my whole harness is practically brand new. Ill edit this post with the length from the first coilpack plug to the six pin male plug that goes to the harness incase anyone needs it. Im going to call around tomorrow for that.

sleepsilvia
Car: 95' 240SX

awesome work, good job!

exhsturbine
Car: 1997 240

thank you! ive been trying to figure out how to take those plugs apart since december cause my ignitor harness is destroyed..... and some one dug this thread up and i happened to come across it this morning and freaked out when i saw it..... thanks alot

LayNLow240
Car: 92 240 coupe

Your welcome. Wish my soldering gun worked :-( or my harness would have been done yesterday.

Romanuts

Glad this thread has helped out, The first harness I made for my friend has worked so far and still looks new so he is happy.

danzacan
Car: nissan sentra ser spec v

where can you get the metal clips that go into the plug?

kr34m
Car: 180sx

Nice post!

I'm in the process of either sourcing a new harness or wiring one up my self.

Where would you get new harness plugs for the coilpacks from? Would a Nissan parts reseller stock them?
Do you happen to know what the part number is?

Thanks

OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

Pretty clean work.

stryKer07
Car: 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8Ltr

I know I'm new and I hate bumping ridiculously old threads but I need so badly to find out what kind of plugs those are... I have searched all over mouser and digikey and that style I haven't found between Molex, Delphi, and FCI... Can anyone point me into the right direction here?

vtjballeng
Car: GTR

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/advanc ... &x=33&y=11

Connector only (CONN-100586) or connector kit (terminals + seals for you to crimp, CONN-75775) or pigtail (pre-crimped with 12" leads, CONN-85775).

Same ignition coil connector used on GTR, Sentra, 350z and a lot of other Nissan applications for a few years.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”