How To: KA Power Steering pump on RB25

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
300Plus
Car: 1995 S14 w/ Rb25det Series II

HxC_Nismo
Car: 98' Nissan 240sx SE R33 RB26DET, 07' Nissan Titan SE, 05' Toyota Corolla

awsome write up man. put this on racebread too cause if my power steering ever goes out im going to do this.

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

GREAT stuff, really beats finding another RB pump when it dies

RBKIDD
Car: 92' RBsilvia
07' TBSS

great write up

FriedEGs
Car: 1995 SE, Roast Beef!!

Nice write up!!

Are S2's different than S1? Because, I had no problem with my rb25det S1 into my s14. I just used the S14 lines and got rid of that 2 inch extended hardline. I got the hose to fit by looping it into a circle right behind the pump and it fit onto the pump with no problem...I'll try to get a pic of it...

Edit: I guess after looking at your setup.. you may not be able to do what I suggested since you have your AC compressor still.. Either way, your setup looks very cllean!

Bwana
Car: Denali

I'll be articlizing this shortly...

mello88
Car: s13

Thanks for this info... I still need an RB20 power steering pump->block bracket, anyone got one for sale?

300Plus

cranked her again last night (her second birth if you will) and the pump works perfect, no belt slips or wining when the steering is maxed out. I didn't wire in the idle up pressure switch (even though its still in the KA line) and the RB compensates fine, I was yanking the wheel left and right and the idle didn't move at all.

*want to remind you guys that are going to do this, that I used a DOHC pump out of an 1993 s13, I hear there might be some differences in the s13 and s14 pumps even though they are both DOHC.

Reaper
Car: 96 & 91 240sx

does anyone know if the rb20det power steering will work on the rb25det?

madcowvert

great write up man i will be doing this soon my power steering pump it making some serious noise. lol my P/S pump is knocking lol.

300Plus

Not like there should be any problems on such a simple setup, but figured I'd let everyone know I've put over 1000 miles on this setup and all is perfect not a squeak.

Nick51
Car: 90 240sx

a DOHC ps pump out of a s13 will NOT bolt up to the rb20

i got the rb bracket all hacked up with the ka pump and was ready to bolt it up, come to find out the rb bracket on the block was to small, about an inch short. I still have yet gone back to the junk yard to grab the ka bracket off the block and see if the ka block bracket will bolt up to the rb so i will keep yall updated when i get it done

Bwana

And also to let everyone know, if you have a sII with the hicas pump you're screwed, the brackets are different.

Anybody want to trade me just the regular brackets for a good working hicas pump (vane mod done) with brackets and everything?

Reaper
Car: 96 & 91 240sx

The question i have is this: I have the rb20det power steering pump and bracket, will it fit on my s1 rb25det that is in my car?

300Plus

wait.... my series II RB25 had electric rear steering and the power steering pump was only for the front steering so obviously no Hicas pump. and I used the RB bracket...

as for those with hicas and the RB20 sorry guys wish I could help

Bwana

I'll get some pics of my brackets tomorrow, maybe that'll explain better.

RB26needaparachute
Car: 1998 240sx Se/RB26

I have a S14 KA pump and a rb26 with rb26 crank pulley.Will this same setup work on the 26? I know the belt will be different..or at least might be.. because the pulleys are different..some people use them(rb25 on 26) to have more clearance between the radiator and crank pulley.

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

I doubt it'll line up properly.

If the KA pump lines up as same as the RB25 pump

And the RB25 pump DOES NOT line up with the RB26 pump.

Then the KA pump will NOT line up with the RB26.

So I guess key is that the KA pump only lines up to the RB25 crank pulley since the RB26 crank pulley is different.

Of course there is always custom modification that can probably be adapted to get it to work with the RB26 pulley.

DriftX
Car: '89 240sx

I would love to have power steering again. I wonder if it would be possible to use a whole dohc power steering setup from a KA.

Like just make a custom bracket -> block out of some square tubing, use the lines and everything, it should work.

ryan15
Car: 1990 240sx

I was thinand the power steering pump was only for the front steering so obviously no Hicas pump. and I used the RB bracket...

as for those with hicas and the RB20 sorry guys wish I could help[/QUOTE]

I was thinking a little and I think us rb20 guys with hicas could just used a space on the bracket. I am going to give it a try when I get my hands on a pump.

FinkenS14
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx S14

Hey guys I just finally got a RB bracket and brand new RB pump for free.

Converted a friends RB25 harness for his S13, that was the payment. WIN! :)

Annnyywaysss. Ive never had power steering in the car since I swapped it. The KA pump with the lines has just been chillin on the subframe connector.

So today I bolted up the RB bracket with the RB pump to the block.

So far I noticed I need to get a longer rubber hose that goes from the underside of the power steering reservoir to the pump.

And then I just gotta get the KA line off the KA pump.

Now my question is, when I finish this up tomorrow, my idea was to take the KA pump line, and only use the fitting that has the banjo bolt, and remove the one where it has the nut, and then just thread the banjo bolt through the line and into the RB pump.

Is this how everyone does it?

By the way this is a RB25 series 1 into a 95 S14.

Also, I dont have the power steering idle bump wired in, so is that going to cause any problems when I go full lock at idle/cruise?

Thanks for the help!!!

johnny butt
Car: 1993 240sx Convertible

FinkenS14 wrote:
Now my question is, when I finish this up tomorrow, my idea was to take the KA pump line, and only use the fitting that has the banjo bolt, and remove the one where it has the nut, and then just thread the banjo bolt through the line and into the RB pump.

Is this how everyone does it?

By the way this is a RB25 series 1 into a 95 S14.

Also, I dont have the power steering idle bump wired in, so is that going to cause any problems when I go full lock at idle/cruise?

Thanks for the help!!!
KA Line will bolt directly into the RB25 pump, banjo bolt and all. I recommend picking up a high-pressure line that can handle at least 5000 PSI instead of only 2500. You will start going through multiple KA lines, especially since they are all at least 12 years old.

Also, the power steering idle bump -- I'd recommend wiring it in, the reason being: If your idle drops below 700 RPMs, your motor is very likely to shut itself off.

ALSO, Just an Update, but this How To should actually be revised. The Part # for the Belt does not actually fit.

FinkenS14

Now is the line that your referring to the one that has the banjo hole on it?

I tryed seeing how it came off further down the line, but didnt see a fitting or anything unless Im missing something.

johnny butt

FinkenS14 wrote:Now is the line that your referring to the one that has the banjo hole on it?

I tryed seeing how it came off further down the line, but didnt see a fitting or anything unless Im missing something.
The Banjo Bolt should be on the stock DOHC KA24DE high pressure power steering line. If you upgrade to a custom line, it will probably not even have a banjo bolt, which will be even better. You can purchase one through RawBrokerage.com , they are made by a member here, DJButton (Or Fuji SPL company, whatever). Great quality, and also offered in Stainless Steel for a few $ more.

To remove the banjo bolt (pictured on the right here:

You must take a wrench and hold the Hex Shaped object underneath it (the nut closest to the P/S pump) to keep it tight. Then use a wrench or socket to the top of the banjo bolt and it should remove easily.

FinkenS14

Ya that big banjo bolt is the one that im stuck on haha, its tight as a mofo, and its doesnt help that the pump isnt bolted to anything for leverage. Just gunna bust out an impact tomorrow and take it off. Then thats it!

Ill finally have powersteering in my car again.

You dont really notice how big of a pain in the a** it is to not have it,...till you dont have it haha

johnny butt

FinkenS14 wrote:Ya that big banjo bolt is the one that im stuck on haha, its tight as a mofo, and its doesnt help that the pump isnt bolted to anything for leverage. Just gunna bust out an impact tomorrow and take it off. Then thats it!

Ill finally have powersteering in my car again.

You dont really notice how big of a pain in the a** it is to not have it,...till you dont have it haha
? Did you read what I wrote? It's actually really easy, there should be no need for an impact if you use a regular wrench to hold the nut on the pump and loosen the banjo bolt with a socket...Hell, I think I even did it with my "glovebox 1/4" ratchet" set of sockets...

LSDrift
Car: 1990 RS13 RB25

Just wanted to add a caveat to this write up, the S13 SOHC non-HICAS pulley will fit on the S14 DOHC non-HICAS pump BUT, ends up being about 3/8 of an inch short of alignment with the RB25 S2 crank pulley...not sure what I'm going to do at this point unless someone can otherwise tell me that there's actually a size difference between the S13 and S14 pulleys...might just have to modify the block bracket...feck.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”