How To Install Lowering Springs

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
bulld0g
Car: 2007 Versa SL " Bulld0g Edition "

How To Install Lowering Springs

New Springs

The tools you will need a 17mm is also used for the rear. Start by jacking up the rear of the car and install the jack stands forward of the rear axle.

This is what the stock rear look like in the air.

Insure to place the floor jack underneath the axle and elevate to take the pressure of the the shock and springs

Remove the lower shock bolts on the drive and passenger side shocks using a 17mm socket.

After both bolts are removed lower the floor jack slowly so that you can remove the stock springs.

Replace the stock springs with the new ones and insure that you rotate them into the spring cup Raise the floor jack and reinstall the lower shock bolts, then raise jack high enough to remove jack stands and then lower car slowly….remove jack.

And here is the Before shotAfter

Now For the Front springs….

Jack up the front of the car place the jack stands as far forward behind the wheel wells you can. Remove wheels and this is what you should be seeing.

Remove this nut and bolt…you may need a breaker bar to get them free

Release the brake line clip using a screw driver or some pliers, be careful not to gouge the brake line

Next remove this nut and slide the bolt out…

This is what you should be looking at now

having a someone help would be good to hold the strut so is doesn’t fall… Remove the top three strut bolts…and remove the strut.

Compress the spring with a spring compressor (or you can take them to a shop for about $30-$40) remove the top strut nut and remove the cap…..remove spring replace with new spring, compress new spring reinstall strut cap and bolt and tighten release compressors, reinstall strut in reverse order of removal.

Front springs installed

Repeat for opposite side.

Finished product

Before After

I hope this helps out all of those that are mechanically inclined would like to do this install themselves.....It took about an hour and a half from start to finish...I would recomend getting an allignment too....Good Luck
Modified by bulld0g at 6:27 PM 2/2/2008

jfanaselle
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL, 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Bulld0g, you are the man. I sure hope this write up ends up in the how-to section on this site! I'm sure this will encourage everyone who's been thinking of purchasing springs but didn't think they could install them (or didn't want to pay a shop for it) to go for it! Remember everyone, this entire mod only costs $169 plus tax and shipping if you get the springs from versaspeed.com.

Did you take all those photos when you installed them with the intent of creating a how-to? I know you did this mod quite some time back.

bulld0g

jfanaselle wrote:Did you take all those photos when you installed them with the intent of creating a how-to? I know you did this mod quite some time back.
Yes, I took them through each step while I was installing them.....I always take pix when install parts incase I don't remember where something went the only reason I didn't have pix of the the springs being compressed is I didn't have someone to take the pix and do it

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

nice write up thanks :D

Neo Xian Wu
Car: 08 Nissan Versa S Hatchback 6spd

awesome. i was wondering when someone would do a write up.

blindsnyper
Car: 2007 versa

because of this thread i ordered my springs

motoguy128
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S - 6 Speed

Just a note... an impact wrench could be used in place of a breaker bar, and you're less likely to scrape you knuckles, or strip the nut head or shear the bolt or stud. I bought a cheap $50 electric one a few years ago to change the drive sprocket on my motorcycles. A breaker bar will just turn the engine. It's also makes removing axle bolts and the bolt holding the clutch basket much easier.

It's handy for hard to remove lug nuts too. If you have compressed air, a pnematic one would be better, and it sounds really cool too.

bulld0g

Hey Mods can I get this sticky'd or put in the tutorial section......Thanks

Great White Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S HB 6sp

Just a side note... I did mine today and I needed a 21 mm socket for the bolts in this picture:

Also, the bolt on top of the passenger side strut HATED me. It was some how damaged and wouldn't come off. My neighbor and I had to go at it with vice grips and an allen wrench to get the bolt to turn without turning the strut. I think that it took about an hour and a half just do to that one. lame.

Johniboi
Car: Versa

same here dude! Yur not alone on that one...

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

i did my springs today too... and i have to say that bolt kicked my a55... i got really tired of it and just took them both to a shop to compress and remove the bolt.... it worked so much better with the impact wrench.... oh yeah and thanks bulldog... thanks for the pics... i would have been totally lost with out them

eduenrique
Car: Nissan Tiida MR18

I wish Nissan had put an easy access to remove the top three strut bolts, actually the third one on the drivers side.

There's a cap on the passenger side so you can access the third bolt...not the same on the drivers side.

do you have pics on this part of the job?

bulld0g

there is a cap on the driver side too....just need a long extension

keanucosmo

Thanks for the detailed writeup.

2dr_sentra
Car: 1997 200SX SE-R, 2007 Versa SL 6spd

hows the ride?

Gr8dave37
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx Versa S

ok...I had my springs installed today and the car seems to be "bottoming out" I went over some train tracks and man it was not fun. Could the guy have not cut the part on the front strut and that be causing the problem...or is something else wrong cuz this ride is anything BUT normal feeling

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

It is a lowered car, take it slow over the speed bumps and train tracks. Stiffer spring rates = stiffer ride.

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

dont forget to also watch for potholes and dips.... and watch out for steep driveways....

XFreeRollerX
Car: Nissan Versa S, 6spd Manual, Dk. Blue!

OP: Pix are missing

bulld0g

I still can see the pics.....were you looking from work or something? if so it may be blocked

Skim302
Car: Nissan Versa S

I just got my springs in yesterday and I was calling places today to see if anyone could install them because I dont have the spring compressor. I called 3 places and everyone of them said they dont do springs. One of them said that they dont do it because lowering springs are illegal in Delaware and when I go to the DOT they will get me for it. I dont believe them because when I put my new rims on it made the car sit higher so putting the lowering springs on it is only going to return it to stock height. Is it true?

zm911
Car: Nissan Versa

I was thinking of installing lowering springs but before i order them i have a question?I have after market rims 16 and tires installed, if i install the lowering springs will the tires grind against the car?Does anybody know?

viet510racer
Car: 08 Black V SL

aye bulldog, i have the same springs as u do and was wondering how to jack up the car?? the car seems to be too low for a regular jack to go under it, i have to use the stock jack to lift it up before i use my jack. was wondering if u jack up ur car differently?!

any suggestions would help lots, and thanks

lovesaga

Hi one of the pics are missing bulldog. I recently have been thinking about springs, and I have some questions? Is that all there is to install? I'ma quote missing pic, and I would love it if you rated difficulty of install. Would you do it again? Ill have some more questions coming for you.

lovesaga

bulld0g wrote:How To Install Lowering Springs

New Springs

The tools you will need a 17mm is also used for the rear. Start by jacking up the rear of the car and install the jack stands forward of the rear axle.

This is what the stock rear look like in the air.

Insure to place the floor jack underneath the axle and elevate to take the pressure of the the shock and springs

Remove the lower shock bolts on the drive and passenger side shocks using a 17mm socket.

After both bolts are removed lower the floor jack slowly so that you can remove the stock springs.

Replace the stock springs with the new ones and insure that you rotate them into the spring cup Raise the floor jack and reinstall the lower shock bolts, then raise jack high enough to remove jack stands and then lower car slowly….remove jack.

And here is the Before shotAfter

Now For the Front springs….

Jack up the front of the car place the jack stands as far forward behind the wheel wells you can. Remove wheels and this is what you should be seeing.

Release the brake line clip using a screw driver or some pliers, be careful not to gouge the brake line

Next remove this nut and slide the bolt out…

This is what you should be looking at now

having a someone help would be good to hold the strut so is doesn’t fall… Remove the top three strut bolts…and remove the strut.

Compress the spring with a spring compressor (or you can take them to a shop for about $30-$40) remove the top strut nut and remove the cap…..remove spring replace with new spring, compress new spring reinstall strut cap and bolt and tighten release compressors, reinstall strut in reverse order of removal.

Front springs installed

Repeat for opposite side.

Finished product

Before After

I hope this helps out all of those that are mechanically inclined would like to do this install themselves.....It took about an hour and a half from start to finish...I would recomend getting an allignment too....Good Luck

Modified by bulld0g at 6:27 PM 2/2/2008
The pic under the jack is missing by the way.

lovesaga

Okay I remember!BulldogWhat Spring set?What Struts?How should do realign? Get someone to do it or buy a align kit?

lovesaga

Bulldog did you get the aftermarket camber adjustment kit?

bulld0g

Tanabe Springs, and I did not use a camber kit. Still riding on the Stock struts\shocks, 30K+ miles on the V since lowering and no issues

lovesaga

Thanks Bulldog when I get to lowering I might ask you some questions. I will be ordering springs due to this write up!

TiidaPTY507
Car: Nissan Tiida 2007

Have anyone seen blue Tanabe NF210 springs? Are they the same as the red ones?

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”