How-To Info - Reset ECU, Pull Codes, Reset Windows, etc.

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
QR25DE
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5L 6MT Turbo

This thread will be a compilation of the most frequent asked "How Tos". I will keep this updated and people can add/correct the info in reply to this thread.

I give credit to all of us on the forum that have found out/originally posted these. Unfortunately there have been many that have posted the same thing or variations so I am going to just give a thank you to everyone. You know who you are.

First and foremost, Factory Service Manuals (FSMs) are located here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Car Light Replacement Bulb Part Numbers/Types

Link: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProduct ... mentGuide/

Altima Manually Pull and Read Check Engine Light Codes CEL/SES

This article shows you how to read/pull the fault codes, usually accompanied by a Check Engine Light or Service Engine Soon, on your Altima with push button start. You do not need an OBDII code reader or any other special tools to do this.

To take a reading without using an OBD II reader, you can do this:

Note: Familiarize yourself with the entire procedure before attempting. A pen, paper, and stop watch will be helpful.

1. Put the car into “ON” without the engine started (hit the ignition button twice without having your foot on the brake)

2. Wait 3 seconds for the car to do a systems check (you know this is done when all the lights except your service engine light go off)

3. Do 5 full accelerator press and releases in 5 seconds (floor your car 5 times in 5 seconds)

4. Wait 7 seconds.

5. Floor the accelerator again, and hold it there for 10 seconds (approx).Your service engine light will turn off.

6. When the light turns off, take your foot off the pedal, and get ready to count.

At this point, the service engine light will start blinking.It will give you a 4 digit code – the first number will flash slowly, followed by a slight pause, the next three numbers will flash quickly, all with a pause in the middle.10 flashes means a number “0.”So if your car blinked 10 times, then 4, then 4, then 2 again, you would have a code of “0442,” which is your gas cap thing.Other codes can be determined by looking at a OBD II code reference sheet.

The reference sheet can be found here: http://www.obd-codes.com/

How to reset the AirBag Warning Light

This typically happens after installing a new stereo system. The thing that triggers it (most commonly) is turning on the car/starting it with the hazard light button/switch and the passenger's air bag indicator unplugged in the center vents.

1. Tap twice to "on," wait until the SRS light turns off, then turn off quickly.

2. Wait longer than 6 or 7 seconds (I counted to 14-one-thousand).

3. Tap twice to "on," wait until the SRS light turns off, then turn off quickly.

4. Wait longer than 6 or 7 seconds (I counted to 14-one-thousand).

5. Tap twice to "on," wait until the SRS light turns off, then turn off quickly.

6. Start the car, turn it off, and then turn it back to "on".

The SRS light should be blinking in a different pattern. This means you've reached diagnostic mode.

7. Press the brake and start the car, and the light should go off after the 7 second test-timer.

How to reset the car's ECU quickly

Unsure is this just performs a quick reset or a full reset. Can someone confirm? Also I have not tried this but there are multiple people that say this works. I am not sure if this would reset learned fuel tables.

1. Turn the car to the "on" position with the driver's side door open.

2. Press the door switch button 7+ times quickly.

The wipers will go off and lights will flash. This will reset the ECU. This will not reset AirBag warning lights.

To reprogram the auto up feature of the windows

Note: Your car has to support this/have this feature. It will not simply enable it on a car that does not have this feature.

1. Roll the window down all the way.

2. Roll it up about half way, let go of the button, immediately roll it up all the way and hold the button for about 3-5 seconds.

3. Let go of the button. Test it out. Sometimes it takes a few tries. Mine seems to work better with only rolling it up about a quarter of the way in step 2 then all the way up.

To change the battery in the key fob

1. Remove the real key from the key fob.

2. Using a small flat head screwdriver, pry the key fob apart. The easiest place to do this is on the side of the fob where the indents are.

3. Take note of how the battery is positioned. The battery is a standard CR2032 battery. Do not use batteries other than this as they may fit but do not produce enough amperage.

4. Remove the battery and place with the new one.

5. Simple snap the key fob back together. No reprogramming is required. Simply use your fob.

Program key fobs for your car

NOTE: May not work on 07+, someone please confirm.

NOTE: The horn chirp can be disable by pressing the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously until the hazard lights flash, and no enable press the lock and unlock until the horn chirp.

To reprogram (enter new ID) key fob (keyless remote controller) follow the steps.

1. Close all doors and lock all doors

2. From the door switch unlock the trunk.

3. Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds.

NOTE: Key should be withdrawn from ignition key cylinder completely each time.

NOTE: Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process. The side marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed.

NOTE:; At this time, the new ID code is entered and original (previous) ID codes are erase.

4. Manually unlock and lock the driver side door

5. Push any button on the new remote controller once.

If there is only one remote controller skip step 6.

6. Additional ID code entry Repeat step 4 and 5

7.END.

NOTE: If you need to activate more than two additional new remote controllers, repeat the procedure on step 6 "Additional ID code entry" for each new remote controller.

NOTE: Entry of maximum four ID codes is allowed and any attempt to enter more will be ignored.

More information located here: http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/common/ni ... y_fob2.htm

How to reprogram your tire pressure sensors

Note: You *can* do this but you need a special programmer. It's cheaper if you go to the dealer or a shop that has this tool and have them do it for a small fee. You would need to do this if you have a damaged sensor / replacement sensor only.

More info can be found here: http://www.advantagewheelalignment.com/ ... _Tool.html

UpRev FAQ

Note: This is assuming you have the full Tuner package offered by UpRev at http://www.uprev.com/.

Latest product info can be found at this location: http://uprev.com/products.php

If you need specifc questions answered, PM me.
Last edited by QR25DE on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

downedzephyr
Car: 09 Altima Coupe 3.5se

good write up, i vote for sticky

el_blacky06
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5s 6MT

Sticky x2

QR25DE

Updated, added key fob info and tire pressure sensor info.

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

When you write "door switch," to what are you referring? Window? Lock? Window lock? Mirror toggle? Little black button on the handle?

QR25DE

None of the above. Your door switch is the rubbery button where the door meets up with the car when it closes. This tells the car the door is closed. From the driver's seat, open your door, look down from the door latch on the car itself, not on the door.

This is a door switch:

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Ahhh, okay. I know where it is. That makes sense, now. I used to love playing with that thing on my parents' car doors when I was a kid.

QR25DE

LOL

frankenberrie
Car: 2010 Altima Sedan 2.5s+Convenience Package

Does reseting the ECU benifit me? I just installed a cold air intake and had the battery disconnected... did it reset with no power?

I tried and my wipers didnt wipe, my lights didnt flash....

QR25DE

frankenberrie wrote:Does reseting the ECU benifit me? I just installed a cold air intake and had the battery disconnected... did it reset with no power?

I tried and my wipers didnt wipe, my lights didnt flash....
Removing power for 10 mins+ is good enough.

Magnooz
Car: 2011 Cube, 07 Sentra SER Spec-V

Hello, great info. Thank you. This will work great on my 07 Sentra. The wife's 2011 Cube has the push button start. The same procedures don't do a self diag mode. It there a different way to get to self diag mode in the push to start cars? Or do I have to suck it up and get a scan tool? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”