HOW TO: Hardbody KA24E, 240sx Intake Manifold Swap

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Hooked on 240

Trucks this pertains to:
1990 - 1997 Nissan hardbody equiped with the KA24E Engine.
**NOTE** 96+ is OBD2 and may cause check engine light / problems. NOT reccomended

If you did this swap i'd appreciate it if you have pics, tips, Testimonials etc. i dont have any pics until it was almost done.
I want to make a master HOW TO. there are very few threads on all the info needed to complete this and what ones there are is a freaking MESS. been looking over fourms for 2 months. and found 2 of 32 threads to be usuful :chuckle: And if your like me, i got all the parts off friends with sohc parts laying around. this whole swap cost me nothing, its all a labor of love <3 :chuckle:

Table of Contents
I. First off... WHY?
II.Things needed from a 1989-1990 USDM 240sx, that are for/from a SOHC ONLY!
III.Tools Needed
IV.Random things
V.Lets get started, Removal of the truck intake manifold
VI. 240sx Manifold Prep
VII. Installation of the 240sx Manifold

I. First off... WHY?
-It is said to make +6hp (Claim) It does make more power, Although you lose some low end "grunt" aka torque.
-Chuck Norris told you to do it.
-Makes it easier to do a turbo, snorkel etc.
-It looks so much better!

II.Things needed from a 1989-1990 USDM 240sx, that are for/from a SOHC ONLY!
-MAF
-Intake manifold. Upper and lower with all sensors, Throttle body,Fuel rail with 240 injectors. Basically everything that is attached to a 240 intake manifold, you need.
-SOHC KA24E ECU.
-Both SOHC KA24E 240sx and Truck wiring diagrams, vacumm diagrams, and pin voltages

III.Tools Needed
-Normal tools such as a 10mm,12mm,14mm wrench,socket etc
-Flat and Philips head screw drivers
-Cutters, Dykes, Whatever you want to call them.
-Soldering gun
-Solder

IV. Random things
-The factory Truck throttle cable will work with the swap. no need to change it
-Left is truck injector, Right is 240 injector
Image (1)
you can see the differnce. bottom is different size and so if the length. also if dont use 240 injectors the whole fuel rail will not bolt down correctly
-Depending on what year truck your battery (left or right side of engine bay) and other items are located differently. take notice.
-240sx Throttle body is bigger
-I wish i had money for a turbo diesel swap
-You can NOT use the truck MAF.
-You use the Stock truck harness and solder a couple things into place. You do NOT use a 240sx harness unless your truck didnt come with a Ka24e

V.Lets get started, Removal of the truck intake manifold:
**Note, when i did my swap i replaced my alternator and did a oil change (removed oil filter) so i basically took the whole intake side of the engine off a little different. but if your just doing the manifold heres the steps,**
1) Remove all of the intake stuff, such as intake pipe, intake box etc.
2) Drain antifreeze
3) Disconnect heater hoses from the firewall
4) Start unplugging all connectors that are associated with the intake manifold
5) Move half of harness out of way (this gives you more room)
6) Remove upper radiator hose
7) Disconnect Fuel lines, If possible save them.
8.) Take out the 7 bolts and nuts that hold the manifold to the head, Also remove the 2 lower mounting bolts.(Some times a PAIN to get to/off)
9.) Either cut or remove the egr tube from the exhust manifold, Your choice. i cut it as i put a aftermarket headers on.
10.) There is a bolt holding the engine harness snugly to the manifold you are going to have to remove that bolt as well
**(A/T only remove the SCV control solenoid bracet from manifold in order to free kick-down cable.)**
Should look like this:

11. You should have a little room to wiggle or take the intake manifold off. try NOT to damage head. i found it necessary to use a flat head screw driver and pry bar.
12. Put the manifold aside, dont throw it out til this is done.

VI. 240sx Manifold Prep
1) I would before anything disassemble the whole 240 intake and replace all gaskets (But thats just me). Gasket Maker works wonders here.
2) Once that is done, paint it or do whatever you need to make the women drop there panties at the sight of your hard work.
3) On the top of the throttle body there is a nipple for a vacuum tube, plug it
4 ) On the top portion of the intake manifold on the left side (towards the front) there is a small nipple for a vacuum line, plug that also.
5) This would be the time to figure out if you are going to block the egr or not. If your going to block the EGR off the intake manifold, Take the EGR itself off of the base its on with the 2 bolts. clean and weld (NO JB WELD!!) that hole shut. apply gasket maker around the edges and reinstall with those 3 bolts.
6) Taking the Truck manifold (which i hope is still in your garage) Cut IACV (idle air control valve) harness before the IACV, FICD and connector providing the most amount of wire(s)

VII. Installation of the 240sx Manifold
1) Taking your 240sx manifold bolt it up the the head, and your done! ...just kidding! :chuckle:
(Leave the fuel rail and injectors last to provide maximum amount of room or install whenever you choose)
2) Once the Manifold is bolted up, Reconnect heater hoses
3) Take the Truck harness and mock it into place.
4) Now taking the harness i said to cut earlier, find the corresponding sensor wire and cut them from the 240 manifold. Cut them right before the plug to ensure you have enough room to solder, etc
5) Solder the spare injector connectors to truck connector extend the leads about 18"s.
6) After soldering connect the coresponding connectors to the IACV and the FICD. and hit ( Bang out the firewall (wall between the pins in the plug) in the corresponding location so the the two dont hit the firewall making it impossible to connect the ficd)
Image (1)

7.) Start pluging in the injectors, MAF, IACV, TPS, SCV, and CPS

**IMPORTANT: MAF PINS A = 12v posititve (Black w/white) | B = Ground (White) | C = Signal (Black)**

Image (1)
Image (1)

8) Hook up electrical connection to the air regulator with an injector clip and run the wires to a KOER (key on engine running) power source (i.e. fuel pump relay like the 240sx wiring diagram specifies.)
9) Hook heater hoses back up and the fuel lines back up.
10) If you left this junk in, Route vacumm lines to the Carbon Canister,SCV then also hook up the vacumm solenoid and vacumm canister.
10A) If you have an automatic bolt up your kickdown cable now.
11) Hook up Fuel rail,injectors and lines. also make sure the FPR has a vacuum line on it.
Crack P/S line loose and move it into position and tighent down out of the way of the manifold and
where intake pipeing is gonna be.
12) Make an intake with the 240sx MAF. Do not waste ANY time with the truck MAF, i.e dont retro fit the truck maf guts into the 240 maf shell.
13) At this point id recommend going under the passenger seat and swapping out the ECU for a 240 one.
14) Fire it up, enjoy :naughty:

You may have to play with the Idle adjustment screw.

When your done it should look like this:
Image (1)
Image (1)

Disclaimer: If you hurt yourself, its your fault not mine. Your the idiot :) .If your truck blows up, your fault again. i wasn't working on your truck. Screw it blame the Gf/wife. Basically what im trying to say is i take no responsibly for your mishaps.

Credits:
Photo credits with a (1) belong to those of JsD21HB of Infamousnissan.com **His truck is a Automatic 1993

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Since you have done this swap firsthand, how do you feel about the results?

Hooked on 240

i just finished it, and i still have other stuff off the truck so its not on the road. as soon as i get it going ill be letting everyone know. i am very curious how much better this will make it

moneymike
Car: 1991 nissan d21 hardbody

im doing the swap

and my truck is turbocharged :yesnod

pejsa s-13
Car: 91 HardBody, 85 720

just did mine and i like it alot!

its alot easier if you delete all the emissions haha

heres a pic all shaved and deleted

Veeithan
Car: 1995 nissan hard body, 89 90 240sx

So i guess i sucked mudd down my intake. ever scene truck has ran like s***, Pulled error codes off ecu tells me tps is malfunctioning. Repalce tps still same thing. GOING TO DO THIS SWAP i got a 1989 nissan 240sx with bad RINGS and a good intake laying around my land. I live in idaho so i need to get my truck ready for winter :D working on swap right now looking forward to feed back and to show u guys how it goes. This is my only option i am balls deep into this mother f***. 1995 Nissan hard body 4x4 Rebuilt Transmission from Aus with cooling mold design for the hot temps in the out back with a Rhino High performance clutch kit. Hell Wing 1,500 pound helper springs in the rear " Doesn't let my rear end come down as far as the front. Going to put high performance torsion bars on it so i can raise the front level with the rear. Arb Bull bar winch bumper with 8,000 pound warren winch. So I am looking into swaping this intake and then doing a turbo snorkel set up on it, Look Forward to pictures and Videos coming soon. Currently i do not no how to post a picture

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”