how to fix your headlight problems

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
sil_fourty
Car: 93 240sx coupe

ok, I'm tired of people not knowing how to get their various headlight problems that are most likely related to this fixed.

Some symptoms: one headlight out, one headlight not coming up, but still illuminates, one or both pop ups not going back down, dim headlights, flickering headlights, there are a few more, I'm sure, but these are the ones I have experienced personally.

so here's a write up.

Difuculty (1-10): 4Cost: $0.00 :DTools needed: Small phillips screw driver 2 small flat blade screwdrivers dremel rotary tool with straight wire brushTime needed: 1-2 beers, depending on how fast you drink them.

first off, take the clamshell off of your steering column, there are 6 screws in the bottom, you don't need to remove the top portion, I did because I'm doing other work in there too. Once you have the lower cover off, you will see two screws holding the combination switch to the column, remove them.

Pull the switch straight out, and unplug the connectors.

remove the two large screws on the white side of the combo switch.

Use a couple flat blade screw drivers to pry the black case off of the white tabs, and carefully separate the two parts.

open the enclosed switch unit carefully, again with a pair of small screwdrivers. *DO NOT BREAK THE MELTED TABS ON THE TOP OF THE WHITE ENCLOSURE*

Open THIS side

carefully pry out the contacts WITHOUT BENDING THEM! The easiest way is to just put the tip of a flat blade screw driver under the lead, and a finger on the end where the contact is made, and carefully pry it up, it should just pop right out.

Here you can see the corroded contacts where they were burned from the electrical arcing when the lights are turned on and off. This is what causes all of the problems.

Get a dremel tool, with a straight WIRE (not plastic) brush, and polish the burned contacts.

before/after

I'm sure they will have fallen out on your table when you pulled it all apart, so, be sure you get the plastic pieces that move the contacts in the right way, with the "point" going into the hole as shown here.

If you can get some electrical contact lube that supreses the arc on the contact, then now is the time to put it on the silver bumps you just polished.

Reassembly is just opposite of disassembly, so just go backwards on these directions, with the exception of putting the corrosion back on the contacts, and you'll be set.

-RSXSE240-Ken

sommmatt
Car: 1989 240SX

Haha, you were so fed up while lurking, you made an account to do a write up?

TKE SigO 258

Easy, free fix. I'll be sure to find this write-up when the time comes...

sil_fourty

Ehh, I'm not all about the national boards, I usually get on here, and search, then find what I'm looking for, and stay close to home.

I actually did this write up for our local forum, and decided it would be a nice thing to give to the national 240sx community.

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

youre awesome! thanks for the writeup with details and pics. we hope you decide to stick around and post more. did you want a custom title for your work?

le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

2 posts and the guys throwin useful info around,.. I like him.

Welcome aboard bro, thanx for helping to make Nico this much better.

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

nice, i will be sure to remember this when my headlights go on the fritz.

sil_fourty

d!ck wrote:youre awesome! thanks for the writeup with details and pics. we hope you decide to stick around and post more. did you want a custom title for your work?
Custom title? I guess I'm not that familliar with what you mean, but sure, if it makes me that much cooler, I'll take it! hahaha

I guess I'll have to post up more on here. I just go by the theory of if you have nothing relevant to say, no need for added B.S.

dickie

custom title is a single line of text that appears under your user name. you earn one when you contribute something to Nico, and your writeup is definitely useful.

it can be whatever you want limited only by appropriateness and space.

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

sil_fourty wrote:I just go by the theory of if you have nothing relevant to say, no need for added B.S.
we around here feel the need for added b.s......just our style.

S13Teddy
Car: R32 Skyline, S13

Wow thanks for the awesome write up. Maybe if I have some time I'll go fix my headlights....

sil_fourty

I would PM you about it, but I don't have that ability yet, I guess, but sure I'll take the custom title. If you can email me or what ever, we can talk about it.

kuroneko
Car: '92 240sx hatch

I know this is an old entry but still.

I did this and it took all of about 30 minutes. Now everything works super smoothly and quicker.

This is an eeaassyyy fix for all you s13 owners.

dickie

glad to know it worked for you!

cbt240sx
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

Awesome! I will be doing this on Saturday! Thanks sil_fourty!!

sttp01

Could this be my problem??Ive been having troubles with my headlights too. the headlights will go up and down, the left light comes on when the switch is set on the brights and no lights when it is switched to normal headlight on position.

I checked all the bulbs, fuses, and switched the relays to see if anything changed and nothings been working. blinkers and running lights on the side are still working.

please any and all suggestions needed.

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

its not like your rewiring a whole sub harness......... try it.

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

this thread is mentioned in the tutorial

Headlight troubleshooting

google 240sx headlight tutorial to find it

rfsalazar
Car: 1993 240sx

Great tutorial!! Many thanks!! You're the Man!!

Asmar
Car: 1994 Nissan Skyline

Very nice writeup. Great detailed pics. Thanks!

propagandhi
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

Dude, thank you so much for this tutorial, you saved me a bunch of money. I am going to try and see if this will work with the wiper switch...my intermittent ones stopped.

sleepersilvia92
Car: 1993 240sx coupe s1 rb25det,1989 hatch sr20det

i know this is old post but i came to my house after not being there for a day and my drivers side headlight was illuminating my wheel well in the down position the white box in the pics in this post was very very hot and the back looks a little burnt i took out and inspected it and after i plugged it in the head lights stayed off,my question is if i clean it should all be good? i just don't want this to happen again any feed back is greatly appreciated thanks alot

mick
Car: 1990 240SX

My headlights were stuck in up position 2 years ago so I wired in 4 relays and 2 extra switches just for the motors. This would have been easier to do

JRex
Car: 93 s13 Hatch

My headlights started with the one on symptoms and now both are completley out. I tried doing this tutorial, checked the fuses, relays, and wiring multiple times to no avail.

Nguyen91

will root beer be ok?.. thanks!

kmartshopper

Great information. I fixed my intermittent and flickering high-beams using this guide.

My wiper switch was also problematic, so I followed the same steps, took off the similar casing, and simply wire-brushed all the contacts. They are now fixed as well.

Thanks!

Two Fowty
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, 1989 240sx hatch

i tried this, and first of all, i couldnt even get the white box out of the black housing or whatever u wanna call it, without scraping and breaking stuff, so i quit.. and now, my turn signals dont work, and my highbeams dont work.. wtf

westernstar_90
Car: 1993 240sx

Thanks for the great Post....It really helped me out. I still am out a head light, but I saw it flicker...so I might try and fine tune my fix a bit.

nothix

I had no idea the problem with my headlights were based on the switch.I tried replacing the headlight first. I had the" low beam on one side doesn't work, high beam does" problem. New headlight didn't help at all. Didnt think only part of the light could fail anyways.

Came accross this thread and figured I'd give a shot.Worked like a charm!

Thanks a TON for posting this!

Drift-Master
Car: Nissan RPS13

Wow. I had no idea that was the cause. I replaced two headlight motors and no result. My headlights will go up only but they do not retract down.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”