How to extract a check engine code on a Versa

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
D3stro

Today, while driving the Versa of my girlfriend, a check engine light pop up right in my face. So, in the past I had troubles with check engine light on my SpecV and there was a procedure for a self-diagnostic mode using gaz pedal and the key in the ignition. So I tried it, it does work on the Versa too. So there it is, hope it help other Versa owners on the board.:

In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the MIL light flashes.5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying MIL) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while in Diagnostic Test Mode II. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

Have a watch with yourself, it helps a lot.

For the complete list of codes, all info on this link: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Last edited by D3stro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alonsorules8
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Sl,HB

Thank you for doing this write up on pulling code for your check engine light. I'm sure it will be used a lot when our V's get more use, or for those already experiencing fault codes with their V's now.

I hope the mods pin this or make a section for this write up.

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

I thought the V was OBD-II. Wouldn't it be easier to buy a code-reader and be able to use it for multiple vehicles. Plus it has a readout and you couldn't misunderstand the code for a different one.

D3stro

Red Devil wrote:I thought the V was OBD-II. Wouldn't it be easier to buy a code-reader and be able to use it for multiple vehicles. Plus it has a readout and you couldn't misunderstand the code for a different one.
Why buy a OBD2 reader whn you can do this for free? And I just want to state one more thing about reading a code. If you have 2 check engine code for exmple, the first number, so it should be zero by default, there will be 10 slow light blink and after that 3 series of faster blink so you can get the full code. The second check engine will come right after with a 10 slow light blink and fellowed by 3 series of faster blink in case you have more check engine problem. And just to be have everything wrote down, I keep counting and writting check engine codes until I get the first one once again.

mmcg80
Car: Nissan TIIDA

In 2007 Nissan TIIDA (In Mexico) doesn't work. Only can obtain codes with code reader or scanner. Auto-X-Ray or Actron.

Althalus
Car: '07 Nissan Versa Hatch SL CVT

Doesn't work with 07 CVT Hatch US

filipo
Car: Nissan Versa SL 2009 sedan

Thanks; that came quite useful (my problem code p0116), though my specific story continues beyond that. I'm based in Manila and local Nissan dealer/service agent doesn't have service manuals for Versas yet. Apparently, those service manuals provide all these codes that you've listed and how to deal with them. I told them the problem (thanks to your list), but they say they gotta see it from Nissan official service manual (not those that arrive with the car). You must have pulled these numbers from something 'official', right? where do you think I could download this so it could say Nissan Versa trouble codes, etc.? thanks

dannymac
Car: 2009 HB

D3stro,

Thanks a ton for the info. You are right about the watch, you have to have the timing right. The code repeats itself so concentration on getting the code running is the key. I havd a code 0455. Apperently I did not install the gas cap correctly. I was a little ticked at the code as I only have 600 miles on the car. You saved the dealer a but chewing.

Thanks

Dan

ticall
Car: Nissa Versa 1.6 SL

Good day everyone, I'm new to this forum.
I've had my Versa for 3.5 years now, I've had just a couple problems with it but nothing major! Love the car!!
Recently my service engine light came on, so I had my mechanic run a test and got the code P2000! The ecm code is not one that the mechanic recognized right away and it's also not listed above. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! :gotme

Great White Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S HB 6sp

I get two codes from mine but neither of them are on this list. Where would i go to get an interpretation for them? They are

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

Great White Versa wrote:I get two codes from mine but neither of them are on this list. Where would i go to get an interpretation for them? They are
ti, Great White,

I'd just call your local dealer. They have access to the correct machines to diagnose the codes. We don't have the entire exhaustive list available but your dealer should. if you figure it out, let us know. We can add your info with the other.

NODES
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL (Blue)

isn't 0850 a transmission code?

Silver Eagle
Car: Nissan TIIDA 1.6 SVE Auto 2009

P0850 is Park/neutral switch input circuit. If you have a fault code and want to check out what it means try
www.eobd2.eu/DTCL.asp Never mind the fancy stuff buy an OBD II fault reader. you can pick one up on ebay for £20 - $30 which will take the quesswork out of your readings and you will save money on having the garage clear fault codes. You can also use in on other cars now and in the future. With the amount of sensors, circuits in todays cars a reader is a must for the toolbag.

2011versa hatch

Agree with Silver Eagle. A must have for in the car. From what I've been informed, by an Ebay seller, 2007 and later use the CAM version of the OBD2 reader. The CAM version is also backwards compatable.

Fred Farkel
Car: 2009 Versa, the base but with A/C

In the US, you can go to most any Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts (and other stores) to have the codes read for free.

The OBD II reader is about 60 bucks and it can be used on most any other recent model car you have.

airmax2011
Car: BNW

Plus it has a readout and you couldn't misunderstand the code for a different one.

jdcnosse
Car: 2007 Versa S Sedan

Fred Farkel wrote:In the US, you can go to most any Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts (and other stores) to have the codes read for free.
+1

D3stro

Fred Farkel wrote:In the US, you can go to most any Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts (and other stores) to have the codes read for free.

The OBD II reader is about 60 bucks and it can be used on most any other recent model car you have.
Maybe yes, but you won't have to drive around and waste gas for it. ;)

jmud
Car: 07 Nissan Versa S

Thank you OP. I live in Hawaii where apparently by law the automotive shop cannot diagnose the car for free. I got it to work after a couple of tries, but regardless you just saved me $80 at the dealer. lol :biggrin:

BRRC
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa , 2011 Nissan Sentra and 2017 Nissan Leaf .

Fred Farkel wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:24 am
In the US, you can go to most any Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts (and other stores) to have the codes read for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7RA_Ub ... %3A2334524

clstillen
Car: 2023 Nissan 400Z

Hi, I would recommend to buy a cheapy code reader on amazon. The cheapest code reader you can find on amazon is $20USD (Carista Brand). I am sure all of us spend that much on lunch at times. This is more efficient in my opinion than having to figure how many times a light is flashing. Once the code is given to you, just google the code and or jump back on the forums for help. Certain codes like a P0421(CAT issue usually Bank 1) can technically be ignored until it comes time to smog. I have seen people drive with this code on forever. But a code like P0300 which is a possible misfire code that probably should not be ignored. In saying this I would personally never fully ignore/erase a code all together. The check engine light code will keep coming on until it's fixed.

On that note if you really do not want to buy a code reader and want to skip the trip to the dealership(stealership). You can always take a quick drive down to Autozone for a free check engine light code reading. Which then I am sure they can help point you in the right direction or at least give your local technician/mechanic a little help.

Your friends here at Stillen
[email protected]
https://stillen.com/

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”