how to disable steering lock on 240sx hb 1991

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

Index of all Tutorials

Ignition switchthis is what is called the ignition switch. the key rotates it to make different connections. if you put screwdriver in plastic blue part you can rotate the switch the same way key rotates it. $47 at napa. The electrical switch comes with assembly but is very distinct and separable part.

full view of ignition switch

Lock assembly/ignition switch combothe following pic shows the entire assembly. the ignition switch is held in by one small screw.$113 for switch/lock assembly at rock auto

part numbers

If you are talking about the steering wheel lock/ignition switch assembly, Nissan refers to them as SOP - Lockset Steering:Model Year:1989-1994 ALL - Part # 48700-40F861995-1998 Auto Tranny - Part # 48700-72F251995-1998 Manual Tranny - Part # 48700-73F25 price $134.00 (as of March 2003)Removal procedure

1.remove 6 philips head screws holding steering column on

2.unplug some of the connectors to get access to tamper proof bolts3.drill hole in bolt heads and remove bolts with extractor(pretty easy to get out)extractor is seen in the following picture

4.the switch is held on by small screw. remove.The ignition switch is on the opposite side of steering column from ignition lock.

5.put new lock assembly on. the left side bolt wont fit because the head is not sheared off. I just reused one of the old bolts. Otherwise, you have to take steering wheel and combination switch off.6.replace the plastic steering column that encompasses the combination switch and lock cylinder

Alternate explanation

Removal of the damaged steering wheel lock/ignition switch requires that you drill out the anti-tamper bolts that hold the steering wheel lock/ignition switch assembly to the steering column. Not that difficult to do, but may require the use of a bolt drill-out extractor set.http://www.handsontools.com/st...=8242Once you remove the two anti-tamper bolts the steering wheel lock/ignition switch assembly will literally fall off the steering column. Replacement is a matter of properly positioning the new replacement unit in & hand tightening the bolts up. Make sure you test the fit PRIOR to torquing down the anti-tamper bolts. Once you snap the heads off those anti-tamper bolts, you wont' be able to remove or readjust the /steering lock/ignition switch assembly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of pictures

key side

top with lock assembly removed

bigger version of pic(click to enlarge)

top view

you can see ignition switch in this picture.

bottom view

bottom view

-

Modified by vancouverbc at 10:54 PM 4/25/2008

Modified by vancouverbc at 10:58 PM 4/25/2008

Modified by vancouverbc at 11:02 PM 4/25/2008

Modified by vancouverbc at 8:06 AM 8/10/2008
Modified by vancouverbc at 8:07 AM 8/10/2008

R-Factor
Car: 91 240sx SE

Did the wheel lock up while the engine was off? Many cars will lock the steering wheel if it is turned too far while the engine is off. Nothing to worry about.

vancouverbc

It locked while engine was on and i was parked. I have the ignition switch off of the back of lock cylinder. I can't recreate the condition that caused it to lock.

Jarret

Yes the switch is mechanical, do NOT drive the car with a missing lock cyllinder, or your fears may actually come to fruition.Go to a wreckers and replace the cyllinder, or just use another from an altima or maxima from same year.

-Jarret

nissandrift
Car: BMX, motorcycles, classic mopars, and nissans

Back whe I worked at Advanced Auto we sold em, i don't know if they had em for nissans. If i remember right it came with 2 keys a lock cylinder for like $16.

vancouverbc

Thanks for the replies. The locksmith said he sells repair kits for 79 bucks. The dealer and auto parts people want to sell entire assembly.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”