How To: Change Rear Differential Gear Oil M37 (VQ37VHR)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Task: Change the REAR differential gear oil on a M37/56 (VQ37VHR/VK56VD)

The service manual recommends that you inspect the differential gear oil every 15k miles unless you are towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, THEN CHANGE (not just inspect) fluid /oil at every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or 24 months.
FYI: My dealer charges: $99.95 for this service.

***Disclaimer: This is just a guide - I am not responsible for you messing up your car or making a giant mess. Please seek the help of a qualified mechanic or the dealer if this seems too difficult.***

Time: 1.5 – 2 hours

Tools/Supplies Needed:
A. 10mm allen head wrench or socket for the FILLER and DRAIN plug
B. Service Manual states you MUST use a new FILLER and DRAIN plug gasket/washer (however, it is not a crush washer like for the oil filter, so you probably don’t have to. Although, I used a new one)
Infiniti Part number: 11026-4N200, they were $2.14 a piece at my local dealer –I’ll be using them again when I change the differential fluid the next time…lol
C. Some sort of catch can or basin to catch the old differential oil
D. 3 pts of 80W-90 or 75W-90 differential oil
E. Transfer pump (I bought the one below from Harbor Freight and it is too big to fit the top of the narrow bottle of the differential gear fluid :tisk:
I should've just bought one of the basic transfer pumps)
F. Jack stands/ramps

Cost: Transfer pump: $11.00 + 2 bottles of differential gear oil: $6.00 each + 2 new plug gaskets: $4.28 = about $28.00

10 mm allen head socket

Differential gear oil

Differential gear oil specs. ***Notice that the VK56 takes less differential gear oil

Transfer Pump

From the Service Manual

Steps/Process

1. Drive around to warm the fluid up, but then let your car cool before getting all wheels jacked up and/or on ramps.

2. The rear differential is easy to spot when looking underneath from the back of the car.

3. You want to loosen and remove the FILLER plug first. This is because if you remove the DRAIN plug and then can't remove the fill plug.....yep, TROUBLE
The FILLER plug is facing the passenger side of the car, the DRAIN plug is facing the rear of the car. I took this photo looking at the FILLER plug, so from the passenger side of the car.

4. Place your drip pan underneath the DRAIN plug and start to loosen it. Once you've determined that it can be loosened, go ahead and remove it. Here's mine - notice all the crap on it. You can then remove the FILLER plug so that it should drain faster.

5. Here's all the junk that came off on the paper towel after I cleaned it.

6. Place a (new) gasket on the DRAIN plug and replace it. Number 27 on the diagram is the DRAIN plug with the correct torque specs:
35 N-m, (3.6 kg-m, 26 ft-lb)

7. Use your transfer pump and start to fill the differential. Once you start to get close to 3 pints, you should start slowing down because once it starts to run out of the fill hole, then you're done. Although, the service manual states you are supposed to check by sticking your finger in the filler hole to see that it is full. (I'm not sure whose finger actually fits in that sized hole - maybe a 5 year old's but my fat, stubby fingers weren't testing anything. I sort of stopped paying attention and suddenly realized oil was dripping out of the filler hole, so I had to wait for that to stop before replacing the filler plug-lol) FILLER plug (number 23 in the exploded diagram above) torque specs: 44 N-m, (4.5 kg-m, 32 ft-lb)

8. Lower car off ramps/jack stands - DONE!!!

Craig

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

well done, and much appreciated!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

You posted in the right spot, but I'm going to add this to the FAQ. Didn't realize the rear diff was so easy to do. Is the front one just as easy?

Also, basically, you need to fill the differential 100% from what I understand by reading the steps?

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Nicely done. Once people see how easy this is they will be more likely to do it themselves. :dblthumb:

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

thanks fellas
Ilya wrote:Didn't realize the rear diff was so easy to do. Is the front one just as easy?

Also, basically, you need to fill the differential 100% from what I understand by reading the steps?
1. Yeah, the front looks to be very similar according to the service manual, it just looks like the FILLER plug is just above the DRAIN plug.
2. You fill the differential until you can touch it (if you were able to get your finger in the FILLER hole) or else it starts to run out, essentially till it's full. I went a little bit too far and it was really "running" out, so I had to wait for it to stop before I put the FILLER plug back on. I guess the other important thing to remember is make sure that your car is level when filling it too since it is jacked up/up on stands/on ramps.

1080Rider

Just a quick question, your picture shows oil for "limited slip" differential, is that what we need or does it matter. I only ask because the "limited slip" oils have an additive that can ruin the clutch packs in some rearends or transfer cases.

Great write-up!
Thanks!

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

1080Rider wrote:Just a quick question, your picture shows oil for "limited slip" differential, is that what we need or does it matter. I only ask because the "limited slip" oils have an additive that can ruin the clutch packs in some rearends or transfer cases.

Great write-up!
Thanks!
There was a thread in our forum regarding whether M37s vs M56s have a rear limited slip differential. Not sure if the question was definitely answered - although I thought most agreed the M37 (VQ) motor had a LSD.

I did this a while ago and haven't had any problems, BUT obviously got lucky, so it's important detail that folks should pay attention to - nice pick up.

Craig

1080Rider

Sounds good, I'll probably change the fluid this spring, I usually use redline or royal purple, I'll go to the dealership and look at the specs in the stock stuff before I decide which oil to use. Again, thanks for your write-up and experience for everyone else!

agoodall
Car: 2011 M37x

Had my mechanic, who is good friend & has worked on all my cars for 10yrs, change my rear diff fluid yesterday.
I drove home and as soon as I made a slow hard turn the dreaded JUDDER of the rear diff happened...I dropped it back off this morning hoping that maybe it wasnt filled to the very top...HOPING

austin713
Car: 2011 M37

agoodall wrote:Had my mechanic, who is good friend & has worked on all my cars for 10yrs, change my rear diff fluid yesterday.
I drove home and as soon as I made a slow hard turn the dreaded JUDDER of the rear diff happened...I dropped it back off this morning hoping that maybe it wasnt filled to the very top...HOPING
do you have a sport model with the LSD? possibly needed to add friction modifier?

agoodall
Car: 2011 M37x

I have the AWD model. The shop put friction modifier in the differential yesterday. The mechanic told me the judder was greatly reduced but still there. My car has 112k on it so I guessing that flushing and replacing the diff fluid exposed some issue that was concealed by the old diff fluid...? Either way I am not sure what the best course of action is at the moment.

I would like to just buy a used/rebuilt diff online. And I also wondered if how much it would cost to gut and rebuild the diff by someone locally. If I didnt feel like taking on more debt right now I would have my buddy put sawdust in it take it back Infiniti and trade it in for a Q60tt (i kid about the sawdust).

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Ilya or any other mod,

Is there a way to post new pics on my original post since Photosuckit now charges a fee for 3rd party hosting?

I've now got an Imgur account (should've started with that - lesson learned) and will be adding my photos for DIYs for at least the VQ37VHR from now on.
Lots of folks depend on the pics when they're looking up how to do some of these basic services and it's annoying when you just see the Photosuckit crapometer pleading for you to upgrade your account... :mad:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

pedsemdoc wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:16 am
Ilya or any other mod,

Is there a way to post new pics on my original post since Photosuckit now charges a fee for 3rd party hosting?

I've now got an Imgur account (should've started with that - lesson learned) and will be adding my photos for DIYs for at least the VQ37VHR from now on.
Lots of folks depend on the pics when they're looking up how to do some of these basic services and it's annoying when you just see the Photosuckit crapometer pleading for you to upgrade your account... :mad:
Yep, do this:

Quote your original post and then copy and paste that into notepad on your PC. Replace all the broken links with the updated IMGUR ones and then send me that updated posted inside of a {quote} or {code} (had to use curly brackets so the system won't read them but you'll need to use []) tag to my inbox and I'll replace it for you.

And yeah, Photobucket has screwed so many people...a lot on this forum so just imagine all of the forums of the world, all of the DIY's on the internet, etc. They literally broke like 1% of the internet probably lol. Hopefully IMGUR doesn't follow their lead.

Ilya

Post updated with new links for the images. Thanks Craig!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”