How to access the fan blades of a J30 Heater Blower Fan

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
jasew503
Car: 1993 J30, 2003 E320

Anyone know HOW to access the fan blades to a 1993 J30 Heater Blower Motor Fan? Im new to the forums here, but Im fairly familiar with the J30 just not this part. I think there is a piece of debris rolling around on the fan itself since it started making some loud rattling noises when running. I assume its a squirrel-cage type fan. On my old BMW 3-series there was an air filter behind the dash on the passenger side that I could pull out and that would give me access to the fan blades on it. Just wondering if there is anything like this on these or if there is a set of screws to remove a small panel for at least visual access to the fan. Would hate to tear the whole dash out just for a small particle. Thanks everyone, Ill be surfing the forums to contribute as much input on other issues as possible!

95J30tBGGUY
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30t

The blower behind the glovebox. You can access it by removing the kick panel. There are four screws holding it to the glovebox. Then you can open from the bottom I believe. Let me know if that helped.

Gerardjg
Car: 2007 Cobalt LS
2011 Hyundai Accent
2016 Kia Optima

In that round opening behind the red and black wire is were the fan has been removed from. it is 4 screws and it comes straight down. You need to remove the glove box completely and the brace behind it, notice the pax air bag for your reference to location. The evap coil is also removed in this photo, i may have an installed photo if I find it I will upload.

Gerardjg
2011 Hyundai Accent
2016 Kia Optima

The screw driver is pointing to one of the mount screws for the blower motor

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Excellent write up G !!Was the evaporator assembly easy to clean out ??Ive heard they get nasty over the years.

jasew503
Car: 1993 J30, 2003 E320

Awesome replies. I couldnt believe how easy it was to remove it. I was under the impression it was going to be crammed behind the center stack. Sure enough there was a couple of pine needles in the fan itself.

Anyone know how long these fans generally last? There was a lot of cleaning i did, seems to run quieter and more efficient now.

However sometimes my fan wont kick on, so I have to tap that area under the glovebox fairly hard and it will. I assume this is the fan motor brushes going bad or landing on a dead spot, anyone know?

Thanks again!

Gerardjg
2011 Hyundai Accent
2016 Kia Optima

yodawill2000 wrote:Excellent write up G !!Was the evaporator assembly easy to clean out ??Ive heard they get nasty over the years.
I had a leak in the coil, when the new coil arrived it had the wrong size fittingssent that one back and that is when the 95 had the oil leak/pressure issue. I have not had time to get to the oil pump yet. she sits on jack stands dead in the garage, Low oil pressure and no evap coil . That oil thing is all in another thread

The coil was actually easy to get out, once the system was evacuated you break the 2 lines loose that are under the hood, removed 4 mount screws and a few items out of the way and it just pulled right out. the bottom 1/4 of the coil was yuk and clogged with crud and that is where the hole was. 180K all in Florida so the AC was on 99% of the time.

Modified by Gerardjg at 4:25 PM 3/23/2010

gomike
Car: 95 J30

I can't seem to get that damper panel removed, I have detached the arm and three screws but it is still stuck on the right side of the car. What is the trick to getting that out?

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”