How real is the oil burning issue on 2003/2004 Infiniti M45??

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

I have a buddy that's looking for one, but now he's concerned from seeing the oil burning issue on VK45's after I told him to check out this forum. So, is it the majority, about half, or just a random few that have this issue? I did a google search for "vk45 oil consumpion" and "M45 oil consumption" and really only found a few things, and some were on NICO. I know they say break-in is a possible cause, or looser rings in order for more power, but those seem like weak excuses IMO and it's pretty near impossible to know how the first owner broke the car in. I think for myself, I'd still get one regardless. Anyhow, feedback is appreciated, I'm hoping it's not a big deal cause I'd love to see him get one.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

The problem is what is normal consumption vs what is excessive consumption.

We've all been spoiled by the 90-96 engine which burned very little - less than 1 quart every 90 days or 3,750 miles..................this is 4 times better than what Nissan says is acceptable.

Based on hearsay and FX45, M45, and Q45 it appears that it might be 1 in 500-1,000 units ????????????? Only Nissan knows for sure.

lfj2025
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45 Black on Black & 2000 Mustang GT convert

I change oil every 5,000 miles and have never had to add between changes. Now have 56K.

GJEMD

A distinction between Oil Burning and Oil consumption is critical. Oil burning is always a concern yet maybe not a terminal concern. Oil consumption is sometimesmore apparent then REAL!!!. Now clearly a quart/1000miles and you're talking internal derangement for sure. But, much of the reports of oil consumption on this blogI'm not sure. Its been said on this blog that the oil must be topped out always or there's trouble ahead. Actually OIL PRESSURE is the critical factor in high performance engines. The dip stick has two holes low and high. The bottom hole designates the oil level below which the oil pressure will decline. The top whole designates a volumeNOT to be exceeded because the effects of increased oil pressure on engine seals. Most normal engines will have some natural oil volume it will seat in at. That may be just below the top hole or less than 1/2 quart. In this instance you will repeatedly blow by this amount of oil. Now, if compulsively "topping out" you could approach 1/2-1 quartof oil consumption /3000miles. I challenge anyone that finds this small drop a few100 miles into an oil change to not top out but observe the oil level every few days.You may be surprised that it stays right there for 3000 miles and you have no real oil consumption.

GJEMD

A distinction between Oil Burning and Oil consumption is critical. Oil burning is always a concern yet maybe not a terminal concern. Oil consumption is sometimesmore apparent then REAL!!!. Now clearly a quart/1000miles and you're talking internal derangement for sure. But, much of the reports of oil consumption on this blogI'm not sure. Its been said on this blog that the oil must be topped out always or there's trouble ahead. Actually OIL PRESSURE is the critical factor in high performance engines. The dip stick has two holes low and high. The bottom hole designates the oil level below which the oil pressure will decline. The top whole designates a volumeNOT to be exceeded because the effects of increased oil pressure on engine seals. Most normal engines will have some natural oil volume it will seat in at. That may be just below the top hole or less than 1/2 quart. In this instance you will repeatedly blow by this amount of oil if compulsively "topping out". You could approach 1/2-1 quart of oil consumption /3000miles. I challenge anyone that finds this small drop a few 100 miles into an oil change to not top out but observe the oil level every few days.You may be surprised that it stays right there for 3000 miles and you have no real oil consumption.

auditech10
Car: 03 M45

Just make sure you check out the history of the car and make sure it doesnt smoke. Drive it around and see how it is. How many people on this site have had it so bad that they needed a new engine? Its obviously a big problem but how common is it? As far as I know, not very. Make sure to change the oil on a regular basis.Cheers

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

Thanks for the replies. I am fortunate that I made a new connection through my boss, he's been at a local Infiniti dealer since it became one. He's going to be my personal mechanic and is doing my valve cover gaskets tomorrow. I asked him and he had similar replies to Qtech and the rest of you guys. He said in the 15 years or so he's been at the dealer, he's only seen 1 M45 come in with the problem, he said it's more common on Q for some reason.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

lfj2025 wrote:I change oil every 5,000 miles and have never had to add between changes. Now have 56K.
That is unusually good, and I am very surprised! Good Stuff™!

How often do you check your oil? Consistent cold check in the morning? Does the level change much (i.e., from the top of the mark down to the bottom) during that 5000 mile period? And what oil are you using, etc.?

I thought I was doing good with my low usage - about 1/4 to 1/3 qt added about halfway between my 3750 miles oil change interval!

Z

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Just because someone doesn't feel the need to add between 5k intervals doesn't mean it hasn't used some.

Conventional oils can evaporate 10-15% of their volume [the lighest fractions] leaving the sludgier thicher parts in 3-4k...........synthetics being more homogenous suffer half the evaporation.

From my experience 90% of vehicle ownes don't even know HOW [exact correct method] to measure oil level.

Other than leaking out all the oil used is burned by evaporating up thru PCV valve into plenum and then into combustion.

szh

Q45tech wrote:Just because someone doesn't feel the need to add between 5k intervals doesn't mean it hasn't used some.
A good point.
Q45tech wrote:From my experience 90% of vehicle ownes don't even know HOW [exact correct method] to measure oil level.
Okay, here is what I do to get consistent measurements and fills, etc. Can you comment on it, please, Dennis?

1. When the oil is changed, HOT after engine shutdown, I make sure to get the place to remove the filter and plug and drain the oil for a minimum of 10 minutes, preferably 20, before refilling. I have them rotate or balance tires, or something else, while waiting.

2. I have them add 5 7/8 to 6 qts of oil at the refill. When I measure (next morning, as described below), the oil is usually just at the 3/4 mark (i.e., above mid-way) between MIN and MAX, and occasionally just above that.

3. I then measure oil level every other week as follows: Cold engine, car is sitting in my garage, level ground, overnight and has not been turned on at all. Take the dipstick out, wipe clean, insert, wait 10 seconds, take out and read the level.

4. If the oil reading is below the mid-way mark between MIN and MAX (I never let it get below the MIN mark), I usually add 1/4 to 1/3 qt of oil, rarely 1/2 qt (if it is at the 1/4 mark between MIN and MAX).

5. And, then re-measure the next morning: cold engine, ... etc.,

Usually, I only have to add some oil like this once between changes ... at about the 1700 to 2000 mile period. The next time it gets near the mid-way mark - generally near the 3750 mile period - I change the oil anyway, so adding some does not make sense!

This, I feel, gives me the most consistent readings, although I suppose that there always some differences due to general weather temperatures, etc. This is minimized though because the temperature inside my garage does not very as much as outside temps.

Comments?

Z

lfj2025
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45 Black on Black & 2000 Mustang GT convert

I not new at this, I only check my oil in the morning in my garage same as I do the air pressure. I only use synthetics (for the last 25 years). I have used 1/4 qt on trips ((1,000 miles or more) but I wouldn't "top" it off unless it were at lease 1/2 qt down. By that time I'm ready for a change. I know everyone has their idea about oil and when to change it, you can argue all day about the subject.

auditech10
Car: 03 M45

So, Infiniti recommends to check oil level on cold engine??? Ive never heard of this before but if thats what they call for, go for it

szh

auditech10 wrote:So, Infiniti recommends to check oil level on cold engine??? Ive never heard of this before but if thats what they call for, go for it
Hmmm ... I do not know if Infiniti recommends it that way or not! It is just how I have done it for 30+ years on my cars! Makes for consistency in readings since you remove some of the variability (of temp, level ground, etc.) ...

Z

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

auditech10 wrote:So, Infiniti recommends to check oil level on cold engine??? Ive never heard of this before but if thats what they call for, go for it
Well with any cold engine, all of the oil that will end up in the sump will be there. On a hot or even warm engine, some will be draining back to the sump. Very minor, but there is a difference, especially for exact record keeping.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

GJEMD wrote:A distinction between Oil Burning and Oil consumption is critical.
The only way oil is consumed is by combustion.

Oil may leak out thereby fooling the operator into thinking it is being consumed, but it may well not be. It can break down internall, but volume will not change.

Usually, it is the lighter distillates that will burn off unless something like a bearing fails and it is overheated at the point of failure.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Always, without fail, review the Infiniti Dealer Performed Service History and check a car very carefully that does not have verified 3,750 mile OCI.

An extended warranty backed by Nissan is always comforting.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”