How much to replace alternator in 97Q?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
WVUMurray
Car: 1997 Q45 BLack

Anybody got a ball park figure?

Thanks

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Only use a Nissan remanned Alternator as chain store remanns won't last but easier to change than the older Q since sits on top.

The was an earlier recall for potential fires in 97 alternator check with dealer to see if yours was already done once?

WVUMurray
Car: 1997 Q45 BLack

My car was not one of the units on the recall list.The dealer checked my vin. I was wondering about a shop price for replacing an alternator. I don't have the space (I live in a hi-rise) or time to do it myself.

Thanks

Solini
Car: 1997 Q45

It was awhile ago when I had mine changed. I believe I paid $190 for one and it took about 2hours. So call around and see how much shops charge per hour to give you a rough idea.

NightRiderQ45
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

Q45tech wrote:Only use a Nissan remanned Alternator as chain store remanns won't last but easier to change than the older Q since sits on top.

The was an earlier recall for potential fires in 97 alternator check with dealer to see if yours was already done once?
Well how long is the average time span for a remann alternator from a chain store? I purchased one for my car March 2005 from Advanced and my alternator is still going strong. Knowing that my OEM alternator lasted for 7yrs, hopefully we will see it this one can last another 4 years.

oldmako
Car: '99 Q45 190K Black&Tan '96 Silverado 5.0 245K '89 23' Irvette CC F351

I picked up a reman Hitachi last night for 37 bucks shipping included.

Even if it only lasts a few years, thats pretty cheap as InfinitPartsUSA wants $307 for one. Since I do my own wrenching....it's a no brainer.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

oldmako wrote:I picked up a reman Hitachi last night for 37 bucks shipping included.
I'd bench test it first. Probably has the old diodes intact.

Few rebuilt ones match the complete remanufacturing that Nissan undertakes.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

If you do not mind doing your own every couple of years use those re-maned non-OEM ones. They are crap, my issue is do you want to get suck somewhere. I have a 1984 300ZX and it has had two alternators in 24 years, both Nissan ones. I had a 85' Maxima which had the alternator die when I was out of town and the wife let the tow truck place put one in. Lasted 14 months, exactly 2 months past warranty. I had the same problem with a Mits Gallant, two died in three years. Go OEM, if your paying for 2 hours of service that is a enough to make the Original equipment one totally worth it. Don't think about what it takes to re-install, think about what where it will go out and how far you will need towing.

I added alternators tomy list of things NOT to be cheap on with cars, along with Batteries, Tires and Brakes. Just ain't worth it, 309 sounds about right for an Infiniti one.

oldmako
Car: '99 Q45 190K Black&Tan '96 Silverado 5.0 245K '89 23' Irvette CC F351

Perhaps when it shows up, I'll install it along with a Hobbs, and toss my current Alternator (reman? new? el cheapo? I dunno as I bought the car used) in the trunk. Then I'll go drive the car and gain some insight as to just how crummy this reman Hitachi alternator is.

When it craps out, I'll be sure and post again. In the meantime, I'll leave 270 in the bank.

BTW, the autozone special on my pickup has been going strong for the last 8 years and 60,000 miles. I probably ought to go pick up another as this one surely is at deaths door.
Modified by oldmako at 2:28 PM 1/16/2008

NightRiderQ45
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

oldmako wrote:Perhaps when it shows up, I'll install it along with a Hobbs, and toss my current Alternator (reman? new? el cheapo? I dunno as I bought the car used) in the trunk. Then I'll go drive the car and gain some insight as to just how crummy this reman Hitachi alternator is.

When it craps out, I'll be sure and post again. In the meantime, I'll leave 270 in the bank.

BTW, the autozone special on my pickup has been going strong for the last 8 years and 60,000 miles. I probably ought to go pick up another as this one surely is at deaths door.

Modified by oldmako at 2:28 PM 1/16/2008
Sounds like a good decision! BadQ45t, yes you had a bad experience with non-oem. If I were in your shoes, I too would go with oem. My remann is still going strong and I don't plan on changing it till of course it goes bad.

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Slightly off the original topic, but a few of the specialty alternator manufacturers (Lestek, Dimensions Unlimited, etc.) offer versions that have the diodes and voltage regulator located outside the alternator case (intended mostly for heavy-duty applications like ambulances, fire trucks, police vehicles, etc.). The diodes and regulator have their own enclosures with built-in heat sinks, and can be mounted someplace that's cool and has plenty of airflow. Aside from lasting longer, this approach allows you to replace either the diodes or regulator without having to pull the entire alternator - which would be a VERY nice feature in a Q's cramped engine compartment.

Wouldn't have to be all that expensive, either - Have a junker alternator re-wound with fresh bearings and brushes at a reputable alternator shop, and then do the diode and regulator re-packaging yourself...

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

195 after core return for an OEM remanned.

i just did this on the FGY33. it is same part price, but cake labor compared to the G50 (yes, i've done both). nevertheless, i want the peace of mind of OEM.

replace the upper hose and stub hose at the same time, since you'll have to (okay maybe not have to but want to) pull the upper filler neck to gain access.

lot of overlapping labor to do the ps vcg (i did) and/or water pump (i did not) when u do the alt.

StillaYankee
Car: 1994 Q45a

Infiniti of Tampa charged me over $800 3 years ago--but that was before I realized that they just wanted me to bend over. I wasn't ripped off like this when I lived in NY.

RAP
Car: 2000 "Beauty" Q 45 240 SX's '95 Acura Legend "91 GMC P/U Plus other junkers around the yard

StillaYankee wrote:Infiniti of Tampa charged me over $800 3 years ago--but that was before I realized that they just wanted me to bend over. I wasn't ripped off like this when I lived in NY.
Maybe you ran into "we don't CARE how you did IT up north" attitude and they were out to "show you" what we do to Yanks here in FL ? ? ?

I would say that if you are not in a position to do at least some of your own parts changing you should stay away from those Dealer shops, if spending money is painful. They seem to think very highly of themselves and charge accordingly. But hey, these are 60000 bucks cars, so... Changing alternators on a car is not rocket science, can be, and, is done by most any car repair shop.

Maybe when Hillary is elected Prez SHE may propose some legislation to help us poor 60000 buck car owners some much needed relief ? ? ? If not then ALL we may be able to afford is CHEAP non OEM PARTS ? ? ?

Jack

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”