How much of a drop are the Tein S-Tech springs?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Drift

Option Auto Salon says 1.3/1.1 inchesEnjuku says about 2 inches

does anyone know for sure

NiSilS14
Car: 95 240sx

i believe they're 1.5, but you can go to http://www.tein.com to check for yourself :)

NiSilS14
Car: 95 240sx

S13 is 1.5 front; 1.2 rears14 is 1.3 front; .9 rear

raging panda
Car: s13 coupe

damn, i was gonna get those but thats just not enough drop for me. I have seen these springs running for 150. does anybody know what kind of springs, of somewhat the same quality, i can get for a similar price, or do i have to for out the 220 for sportlines?

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

"damn, i was gonna get those but thats just not enough drop for me"

...why do you need to drop your car more, the TEIN and eibach springs drop the car a similar ammount, and much lower and you wont handle much better...and both companies have nice histories of properly engineered handling products.

or are you just going for looks? if so, get a set of coilover sleeves and do what you want. -chetEDIT: nice avatar nils.

91nis240

umm why would lowering you car more then the drop provided from the tein springs or sportlines cause the car to handle worse?? Simple concept: the lower the center of gravity the more control and better handling the car will have (providing struts and spring/coilover are in good shape) so lowering your car more than that will not worsen your handling what so ever, most likly IMPROVING it.

raging panda

im not looking for a slammed look, just something over 1.5 inch drop. I like the way it looks and the handling wouldnt be too much different from the 1 inch drop.

Exar-Kun

"Simple concept: the lower the center of gravity the more control and better handling the car will have (providing struts and spring/coilover are in good shape) so lowering your car more than that will not worsen your handling what so ever, most likly IMPROVING it."

thats true to a point. but if you slam(past 1.5 to 2" on most cars) your car your suspensions geomerty, and how it functions, will take a major hit, causing you to handle far worse.

if slamming the car is such a great handling trick, why dont all the 1" high hondas handle better?

...lowering the center of gravity can only help so much, and after about 2"(or maybe less) on our cars, the positive effect becoms nill because of both tire contact patch changes, and the problems with suspension componenets not being meant to function under those circumstances(IE suspension geometry), if you want, you can slam your car to 1" off the ground and I'll get a set of coilovers set to a 1.3" drop and see who makes it around the track faster.

in fact, motor trend did a test a while (2 years?)ago lowering a bmw differnet ammounts, and found that the skindpad and slalom(sp?) suffered after a 1.6" drop.

its not just about the center of gravity, but how your car roll and suspension geometry work to keep the car(and tires) in good gripping contact with the road, slamming a car doesnt do this, and unless you put in all adjustable suspension componenets, you wont ahve the ability to make the adjustments necessary to keep your make your handing better with an extreme drop.

anyways Im at school and dont feel like fighting with you anymore. im sure russ, or c-kwick will be more than happy to elaborate on my points(and correct me if I strayed somewhere) for you until i get back in the mood to post more.-chet

also:"im not looking for a slammed look, just something over 1.5 inch drop. I like the way it looks and the handling wouldnt be too much different from the 1 inch drop." well if thats true, why drop if farther if you get the same results? wouldnt you wnat to keep as much ground clearance as possible if it didnt mean sacraficing your handling?just a thought.

EDIT2: back from school, thought about this some more. if you lower the car excessivly, you get negative camber, excessive ammounts, causing the contact patch on your tire to become very small. normally, a bit of negative camber is good, because when you go into a turn, the car litterally "rolls" onto the tire contact patch, ensuring more grip. with too much negative camber, it never rolls onto the patch, and if the cars lowered excessivly it just skids across the edge of the tire. *shrug* Im sure somone has more to tell about this, but Im sure if you talk to more people you'll get more information on why dropping car too low is bad for handling purposes.

91nis240

no i understand what your sayin, but there is alot of people on this site who feel it is stupid to lower your car anymore than one inch b/c you will have only negative effects. which is not true

Exar-Kun

yes, those people have the same problem the "I want to drop my car 4" for better handling" people do. suspensions dont work in absolutes, you have to tune them properly, too high or low a ride height and you'll lose grip, either static or dynamic. (pure or transitional)...

good to know you realise that.-chet

raging panda

why drop it further for the same results? because as i said, i like the look. If i can get a nice look AND good handling, why not? I was just wondering if there were any springs that gave good handling with a little more drop, but i think i might get the teins anyways.

Exar-Kun

good choice. TEIN makes quality stuff.-chet

TommyyJ

does anyone have the tein s tech springs installed?

raging panda

yea, thats what i thought too. I have never heard anything bad about tein products and they're not too much money so it seems like a perfect choice for me.

driftaholic
Car: reading nico

i have Tein S-Techs in my closet! i hope to have them installed soon.........i'll let you know how they work.

Lsnaple

do you have a s13 driftaholic? how about sending me a pic through email or on here or whatever and how good they are. after i get my taxes back (which isnt much) im gonna get these springs and a couple other things so id like to know how they are from first hand experiance.

driftaholic

yeah i have an S13, red '91 RMS13 SE to be precise :)if i trusted my stock shocks, the teins would be on by now, but i'm waitin til i can get good shocks. hopefully by the middle of february. then i'll take some pics and post em on here so everyone can see.

Lsnaple

awesome.i wont order mine untill mid-end february anyway.

nismo240sx
Car: tuning and being cool

I have sport lines and when I go road racing i feel it rools still to much I want stiffer ! any recommendations ?

driftaholic

do you have swaybars?

Exar-Kun

sway vars, strut bars, better shocks, better bushings, roll cage, lighter chassis....lots of things can be done man...-chet

raging panda

I think that the sportlines are a softer springs too arent they? That i'm sure isnt helping stop the body roll. But with all the stuff Exar said, it shouldnt really matter then.

driftaholic

okay i ordered my AGX's today, so now i'm just waiting til they get here. THEN, i'll get my S.Techs on and take pics.

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

whats the best place to order the s. techs from.

i have been told they have three different stiffness levels, is this true also.

Tai Mai Shu

I can get teh S types, I dunno about the different stiffness level.

driftaholic

pretty sure an s.tech is an s.tech is an s.tech.i got mine from enjuku for $150

raging panda

you can get them for about 125 from http://www.jaydm.com, but i havent heard anything about them. I dont know how reliable they are or anything. If anybody knows about them, please share experience.

driftaholic

my agx's came today! i tried fitting the strut boots and springs on them to make sure everything's okay, and the fronts go together fine, but the rear boots are to wide for the springs to go over them. has anyone else run into this? the spring sits in the seat perfect without the boot, and the boot fits perfect without the spring, but the spring and the boot can't both be on at the same time....unless there's something i'm missing...help!

driftaholic

anybody?

Cloudedone
Car: Cars, Drifting, Auto Mechanics, Army, Chicks

not sure man, try making a new topic for this question, its prolly hiding here on page two of this S-tech spring question.

-Galen

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”