How much HP can silvia rear end take. ?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Sparky
Car: anything Datsun

sorry if this is a dumb question.....but:

im upgrading my 72 Datsun 240Z rear to a S15 center section and halfshafts. im just wondering what kind of HP i can pump into this setup before it goes KABOOM.

thanks in advance!

sultan

where you getting an s15 center section and halfshafts? anyway the R200 (or R200V which is limited slip) differential in the S13 and S14 can handle a lot of power. aries has the stock diff in his S13 and he has an LT1 putting out 385 rwhp and 390 ftlbs of torque.

Sparky
Car: anything Datsun

well,

thats good to know. im glad to here that the R200 in the S13,14,15s can handle that kind of TQ without breakage.

thanks for the fast response!

R240NA

I've seen OE R200Vs hold up to over 450rwhp, you'll break the gearbox before the diff.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

yeah, the R200 was used in 300ZX twin turbo's and I've seen over 550hp out of those with no rear end problems. like russ said, your gearbox will break(or something else, like the CV shafts) before the diff.-chet

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

I've been told that the rear will let go about 450 hp, and on my previous nitrous motors, that's about right.I've been throur 6 other rearends so far.

GodzillaFan

HP/TQ doesnt break rear ends... traction does. U could have 2000hp and the r200 wont break on street tires. with the s13s (and your 240z) being so light it will be very difficult to break the r200v... mabye a 500rwtq 7000rpm launch on slicks.... or never...

Exar-Kun

well, it IS the Torque(twist) that breaks things, but if the full amount of torque is never applied(via feathering the clutch, slippage of tires, etc) in a shock-loading manner you may never break anything. the problem arises when you apply 500lb/ft in a usdden shock load and nothing gives to reduce the shock loading on the rear end....

just a minor correction :)-chet

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Actually, the 300ZX TT used the R230 rear end. The NA Z's used the R200.

I've heard the Jun Silvia used an OE rear end gear. And what was that making? 700+ HP?

Everything has it's limits, but it does make a difference how you get there as well. As a kid I was able to stand on top of an empty soda can and it would not collapse. But if I jumped on top of it, it would collapse quite easily. There is a very similar occurrence here. Not only are you providing the torque from the motor, but also the momentum from the weight of the rotating mass of the motor, including a possibly heavy flywheel and pressure plate.

As I've said in another thread, I've broken a rear end on my 83 Celica with only 115 HP. I believe it was putting out about 130 lb-ft of torque. I was very abusive on the drivetrain. I went through a tranny and a diff before I sold the car off.

Exar-Kun

soda can analogy=shock loading

thats what I was talking about :)yeah, I stand corrected, and the JUN super lemon silvia used the stock rear end, as has many many modified cars form nissan. the S200 is a very beefy unit. I would be more worried about snapping the itty bitty half-shafts than i would be about the differential unnder shock-loading conditions.-chet

GodzillaFan

Exar-Kun wrote:well, it IS the Torque(twist) that breaks things, but if the full amount of torque is never applied(via feathering the clutch, slippage of tires, etc) in a shock-loading manner you may never break anything. the problem arises when you apply 500lb/ft in a usdden shock load and nothing gives to reduce the shock loading on the rear end....

just a minor correction :)-chet

Yes, of course torque is what breaks things.

But Remember the Rear end is behind the transmission, which modifies the Torque (and speed) of the motor's output to suit vehicle speed. in first gear even on a wimpy KA there is over 2000 LB/FT of torque at the wheels (over 500 at the drive shaft)

On a pimped out SR (or KA :icesangel)that could become over 5000 LB/FT!!! in first gear. But there is a limit to traction. Lets say in a 2500 LB car the point traction breaks on heated slicks is around 5000 LB/FT with a wheel diameter of 1.8 FT. if the rear end can handle more then that, then it would be near impossible(very difficult) to break it, Because you are breaking traction before your breaking the rear end. But the transmission is a different story.

GodzillaFan

Quote » Not only are you providing the torque from the motor, but also the momentum from the weight of the rotating mass of the motor, including a possibly heavy flywheel and pressure plate.[/quote]Right, if you drop the clutch, or just dont drive smoothly in general you can send alot more torque throgh the transmission then the motor normally puts out. Actually just as much as your clutch can hold. And this could be 300 FT/LB for a STOCK cold KA clutch. Just think how much it would be for a performance clutch. This is why im against running a clutch thats rated for significantly more torque then your motor puts out.

BTW the Jun Drag Silvia uses a cusco rear end. VLSD not so good for running 8 sec quarter miles on :D

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”