HOW MANY R34'S ARE IN THE USA???

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
still learning 06
Car: 00 skyline r34 gtr spec 2

I am a new r34 gtr owner, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows about how many are in the USA? I have heard as few as 7 to as many as 100's, is there any way to truely know? Just curious because I am on the east coast (Connecticut, specifically) and have only seen one, and that was @ HIN Atlantic City. If anyone has a break down of colors also, that would be great. (I heard there's only 1 white r34 gtr here? I doubt that because mine is white). Thanks for your help!

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Not to be a tool, but is that thing 100% legal? Unless that was a pre-Motorex business flop, I am pretty sure you might have some issues with that thing unless you are using it for a track/show only car.

I would be very carefull in making sure you have done all the work needed to be totally legal. I would hate to see an R end up cut in half.

Beautiful color by the way.

FutureDRFTer
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx Se

that would suck to be caught with an illegal skyline...in Chicago, they crush the car....iirc

im praying a can afford an r32 by the time im 25....a guy can dream cant he?

still learning 06

She's registered with a US title. I did it here locally, not really any problems from DMV. I heard some states/cities are worse than others though, definetly a risk depending on where you live. I just did my homework before I shelled out the $$$.

celm

[QUOTE=FutureDRFTer]in Chicago, they crush the car....iircQUOTE]

oh please,i helped someone from geniva Il import his 02 RX7 spirit R type A #998/1500 .the only one in US ,and hes been driving that thing for a wile now.no difference then it was any other grey market car.

this picture is before i sold them all and it was taken in my driveway

FutureDRFTer

i know you can import them....but if you are found out to have an illegal car, it is crushed no questions asked. a legal skyline would face nothing, sorry you didnt understand what i was trying to say

celm

FutureDRFTer wrote:i know you can import them....but if you are found out to have an illegal car, it is crushed no questions asked. a legal skyline would face nothing, sorry you didnt understand what i was trying to say
incorrect, the NHTSA if they want they can easy find out all state legal grey market cars. And that goes for BMW, benz, Hondas, skylines ,lambos, etc...They even state that it’s the states who have the say if the car should be titled or not. And with the skyline they get people all the time calling the DOT and telling them about a skyline they know that’s not from motorex. Hell Sean morris even called the DOT on some skyline owners. And guess what DOT did nothing, what to know why?? If they send someone to come take your car and crush it.thats cost the government $, and any educated person knows they wont spend the $ and tie up the resources. What they do is they give you the voluntary export option, meaning you have 180 days to export but with in that time you have to keep the car in a bonded warehouse .

FutureDRFTer

misunderstood me again,i giveupppon trying to explain my self when drinking during the games....atleast im not drunk

celm

FutureDRFTer wrote:misunderstood me again,i giveupppon trying to explain my self when drinking during the games....atleast im not drunk
in senior year of HS you have to take economics and US government,after you take that class you will understand about government spending

FutureDRFTer

celm wrote:
in senior year of HS you have to take economics and US government,after you take that class you will understand about government spending
we take that soph. junior year

soph-economicsjunior-us government/Ill. Govt.

still learning 06

Holy sh$t! That's one of the nicest driveways I've ever seen. Beautiful pic, hope that's your wallpaper..lol. Sorry to create such a ruckus, I was just wondering about the #'s here in the states...it got a little off topic I guess. Oh well, see you fellow skyliners around.

celm

still learning 06 wrote:Holy sh$t! That's one of the nicest driveways I've ever seen. Beautiful pic, hope that's your wallpaper..lol. Sorry to create such a ruckus, I was just wondering about the #'s here in the states...it got a little off topic I guess. Oh well, see you fellow skyliners around.
hey man hit me up on aim Maxxn2

akwikz
Car: 1973 Skyline

I agree with you that the government is not likely to do anything about it themselves. I personally imported an R32 and a GTi-R 5 years back as race cars. They were declared as such with all the appropriate paperwork. Customs inspected them and released them. I used them for local track days and such before selling them last year. I never once considered attempting to register them. The potential penalty from the U.S. Feds, while unlikely to happen, is still quite imposing. Here is the real problem with what you are doing Celm; liability. I realiize just about anyone can get an illegal car registered in certain states. And I understand that no one has shown an instance of the Feds taking one. But, assume you have one of these illegal cars. You register it and are able to insure it. You then get into an accident. I don't know about you guys, but in both of the accidents I was in (and clearly not at fault) took forever to conclude as the opposing insurance company did everything they could to find a way out of paying. Now, assume you are not at fault, you get hit and the car is destroyed, that insurance company is most likely going to do a background check on the Skyline. Once they find that they car is not legit, they are not going to pay for it. And you're out some money. Let's go a step further and assume you are at fault and heaven forbid someone is hurt. Your insurance comapany is going to do the same check I mentioned earlier. And then you are really screwed. They will cite a fraudulent application and the policy will be terminated. Once that happens, the people in the other car will come after you. If you own any property you will loose it. They will take you to court and you will be lucky to leave with your boxer shorts intact. The risk is just too great. Now, if someone really want exclusivity, buy an older Skyline. $20k will get you a very nice KGC10 and will get you a perfect KGC110. Look at some of my other posts and you will see my '71 and my '74. The '71 was $15k before I started to modify it. It was perfectly fine as it was. The '74 is an Australian model and it was just under $6k after shipping. Anything older than 25 years is 100% legal. No issues, no hassels, and no shadyness.

Brian

Okinawa_BNR34
Car: BNR34 GTR VSpec

Very nice GTR. I like the trailer too. Hit me up at [email protected]. I'd like to ask you some questions about importing R34's. I know this guy named Frank in Florida that imports them. You can see pics of my GTR if you click the links below. Cardomain and myspace...

Tim Bowles

tyndago

akwikz wrote: I realiize just about anyone can get an illegal car registered in certain states. you get hit and the car is destroyed, that insurance company is most likely going to do a background check on the Skyline. Once they find that they car is not legit, they are not going to pay for it.
This does happen. The insurance company hires investigators to check up on the cars. They check in with the DOT about the vehicles. That is of course if they know what they are.

Here in California, I know a few of the cars that were in accidents were verified by invesigators.

xsublimefrekx
Car: 1991 s13. SR20det, 1998 s14

Hey not to be a pain in the *** but i was wondering where you got it from. Glad to see some nice cars finally making it into CT. I hope to see it around sometime. Im from west haven area

pumpkin2
Car: 240sx

That is a very good statement with the insurance companies and the liability of an accident and possibly getting royaly screwed. I do have a question as far as older skylines and silvias though. I know the r34 is very very tough to find and import but how about an r32 or r33, or maybe even an s13 s14 or s15 silvia. since you do see a lot more of those cars in the states titled and insured, would they in the same boat as the r34? I was looking into purchasing one, that is why i ask.

still learning 06

For registering and titling one of these "gray" market cars, the "simplest" way is to find a nice one over 15 years old. The federal law states that if a vehicle is over 15 years old, the owner can legally register and title it (I may be murdering the wording, but you get the point.) If not, hire a reputable broker to find you a titled and registered vehicle in the US, they do exist, but as you can imagine, they will be quite pricey. If you look hard enough, have some spare $$$, and have the right "contacts" (i.e. - lots of phone calls) you can find or get anything here in the US. Obviously, just be cautious about who you trust, double up on all references. Many people on this forum have very valuable info.

sflkouki
Car: Nissan 240sx 95 se

If your looking for a skyline or s15 there shop down here in sfl has a R-34 gtr , R-33 gtr & 2x s15 for sales florida register and title ...There good people.. you can check them out on ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/Import-Japan-Store

celm

sean8564
Car: 1993 GTR Vspec, 1991 300zx TT Black , 1993 Nissan Silvia, 1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe RB25DET

Here is me pointing to the camera

Modified by sean8564 at 4:54 AM 9/6/2009

jrb92se
Car: 1989 s13 coupe

is it harder to see when you turn left with rhd

sean8564
Car: 1993 GTR Vspec, 1991 300zx TT Black , 1993 Nissan Silvia, 1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe RB25DET

Just as hard to see the right when you drive a left hand car

jrb92se
Car: 1989 s13 coupe

what if you are in the center turning lane and there are cars turning the other direction

[email protected]
Car: gtr r34

Hey could you help me import a r34? i cant find any good deals around here but a ton in tokyo and stuff but is there anyway? anybody who can help me email me at [email protected]

az_skyline_lover

sorry to bring up an old post but sean, how did you import your skyline into the us?

sean8564

That My friend is a trade secret

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

And what must we trade for the secret?

sean8564

I am not giving it up cause i do not want people to go through what i had to go through to learn it 22 cars seized auctioned off in Atlanta and being told by customs i can buy them back for 6000 a piece and now there in a guy in GA who has them for sale. Then he ones that were released to me as cars with the HS7 were all taken out inspected off site for 2000 per car loaded back in and the did not use the metal straps i used in Fukuoka they used rope hoping the cars would fall on each other. that was not the best part the cut up the interior of each car and gave me a green piece of tape over the holes and slashes that said dept of homeland security customs and boarder protection.
Modified by sean8564 at 10:32 PM 4/22/2009

BLKTOPS14SR
Car: 1998 Nissan 240SX SE Kouki
1971 Buick Skylark 455Buick big block
1970 Cutlass Holiday Coupe
2002 Ford F-150 XLT
1972 Chevy Cheyenne

That is really sad. Just because they can.

So, what makes the car perfectly legal when they're 25yrs old? 24yrs Illegal. 25 Legal? Is that the legal drinking age for a imported car? LOL

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”