How many miles can we drive when the gas light comes on?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
HirosRide

Hi all I have been trying to get my MPG readings so I'm trying to use fill up when my gas light comes on to get a better idea. I don't want to cut it too close and get myself stranded though. Anyone know how many miles we can go after the light comes on?

Also, I know this is probably on the manual but how many gallons can our gas tank hold? When I filled up it was 10.8 gallons so I figure maybe we have a 12 gallon tank?

Thanks

mindpenn
Car: Versa SL CVT - Onyx blue (Conv. package)

I believe the fuel tank is 13.2 gal.

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

13 and 3/4Manual says you're supposed to leave 3 gallons in tank to keep your engine light from coming on... when mine lights up I usually start to think about maybe getting gas when I get home... (I work 20 miles from home and if the light comes in while I'm getting to work, I can still make it to the courthouse and back twice (7 miles each time) and then back home and have never had any problems. In the old V (to which the above is in reference) my light could come on at roughly 11.4 gallons...)

hope that was helpful... if wordy ;oD

bulld0g
Car: 2007 Versa SL " Bulld0g Edition "

I have drove 36 miles after the light....and it only took 11.5 gal so there is still plenty of gas if you can't get to a station right away ....BTW that was freeway miles

Clipsed
Car: 07 ALL BLACK Nissan C11ST, 01 Mustang GT Vert, and 94 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4x4.

I believe I have driven about 50 miles with it on, filled up and it was a lil more than 12gal.

joaopinto
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Clipsed was faster than me with the reply.That's exactly what I wanted to say.One more thing, though, 50 miles on highway.

clone

The other day, the light came on and I drove 5 miles to a station. Took 11.2 gallons to fill it and I always try to top it off so should be pretty consistent. Am assuming I still had two gallons.

Happened that that tank got 31.8 mpg

Clipsed
Car: 07 ALL BLACK Nissan C11ST, 01 Mustang GT Vert, and 94 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4x4.

I think I may just test the tank and see how many miles I really can go before I run outta petro, running it down all the way one time wont be bad, but consistently, you will cause yourself problems!

shreqboi909
Car: '98 ej8 R.I.P 07 nissan versa/tiida

the most i drove with the light on was 67 miles....but as most of u probably do, i drive really conservative when the light goes on...anyways, that was on the freeway with cc on the whole way....when i filled up, i pumped 12.8 gallons....so i guess it is 13.2 gallons to fill it up

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

today my gas light came on and i filled up with 11.22 gallons about 2 gallons still left in the tank

cnsmike
Car: 07 Nissan Versa SL Magnetic Grey with Charcoal Interior

Now you have me curious wondering how far I can push it. When this tank is empty i am going to put a gas can in the trunk with gas and see how long I can really drive before it really runs out.

I have to agree with most everyone, there has to be a good quantity of gas left when the light first comes on.

I will let you know.

Mike

HirosRide

Thanks everyone , good to know I don't have to completely go into a panic when it comes on. I think we were talking about how the tank indicator drops slow and then faster at the bottom of the tank, didn't know how that would influence the gas light.

mvalpreda

cnsmike wrote:Now you have me curious wondering how far I can push it. When this tank is empty i am going to put a gas can in the trunk with gas and see how long I can really drive before it really runs out.

I have to agree with most everyone, there has to be a good quantity of gas left when the light first comes on.

I will let you know.

Mike
Let us know how that goes Kramer.

shreqboi909
Car: '98 ej8 R.I.P 07 nissan versa/tiida

well today i officially ran out of gas trying to find this out.....i drove for 74 miles and my car officially died at 76.3....because it was down hill but i was driving conservative for the major part of the time....i speed up a couple of time i had to down shift to pass traffic and there were a couple of hills i had to go up

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

That's a pretty respectable amount. That would indicate that when the light comes on, there are 2 or so gallons left in the tank.

HareBrained

CodeRed wrote:today my gas light came on and i filled up with 11.22 gallons about 2 gallons still left in the tank
CodeRed wins a prize for guessing the number of jelly beans in the jar. Tell us what he's won, Johny...

Moderatorship?!!?!?!

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

HareBrained wrote:
CodeRed wins a prize for guessing the number of jelly beans in the jar. Tell us what he's won, Johny...

Moderatorship?!!?!?!
Are you the John Stuart from the Daily Show?

matttail
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

well, if we're counting jelly beans here, there was more like 2 and 3/4 gallons of gas left when the light came on, or that there is some really good gas mileage - better than anything reported in EV's gas thread. Not that I'm being picky or anything.

Return to “Versa General Chat”