How long can you (Miles Until Tank is Empty)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nugget2010
Car: 2010 Silver Ice Nissan Rogue

you actually run on your tank of gas AFTER the gas light starts to blink?

I don't remember what the manual said about how much gas was left once the indicator came on. I know my light came on for the first time last Friday on my way to school/work. I stopped by a gas station and got a little gas until I could get more when I was on my way home. Anyway, I was only about a 1/4 mile away from the school.

So, how much gas is supposedly left when the light comes on?

How far can you actually drive on the tank?

I know my bars showed that I had two bars worth of gas left. Is this correct?

Thanks so much!

Big_Joe
Car: '08 Rogue

Well i just filled up today and the light came on at two bars and i drove it until one bar came on and when i filled up at the pump it said like 15.3 or 15.4 gallons to completely fill up.. so considering we have a 15.9 gallon tank that leaves about a half a gallon at one bar which is maybe 10miles with careful driving

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

nugget2010 wrote:How long can you actually run on your tank of gas AFTER the gas light starts to blink?

I don't remember what the manual said about how much gas was left once the indicator came on.... Anyway, I was only about a 1/4 mile away from the school.

So, how much gas is supposedly left when the light comes on?
Actually there is no hard and fast rule. When the light comes on... how far you can continue to drive depends on several factors. Like where the fuel sensor is positioned inside the gas tank, how accurately the gauge is calibrated to the tank, how fast you drive, how many miles are on the car, the type of terrain you normally drive in, if you drive mostly city or highway miles, the air pressure in your tires, the fuel economy of your particular vehicle, etc. etc.. The low fuel light is only meant to serve as a warning you are getting low on fuel and not an indicator that you only have X gallons of fuel left.
nugget2010 wrote: How far can you actually drive on the tank?

How far you can drive on a tank of gas depends on the same factors listed above. However, for arguments sake, you can figure you should be able to drive a minimum of 300 miles on a full tank.

I never run my tank dry and tend to fill up shortly after the light comes on. I've been recording all my fill ups and miles driven for the past year and have been averaging around 310 miles per fill up.

As mentioned I usually fill up when the low fuel light come on. Like yours, my light also comes on when I have two bars left on the fuel gauge. How many bars each Rogue owner sees when the low fuel light comes on would depend on the vehicle and the calibration between the gauge and fuel sensor. Anyway, according to my records, on average, my car "usually" takes 14.5 gallons at fill ups when the light comes on. Considering you can squeeze 16 gallons or more into a tank (16.9 by some of our more adventurous members) I figure I have at least 2 gallons left in my tank. Considering my Rogue averages 20 miles per gallon (all city driving, I figure I could drive another 40 miles "after" my low fuel light comes on.

NET: Unless you record your Rogues personal statistics and get it mileage down to a science... you should be able to safely figure you can drive another 40 miles drive "after" the fuel light comes and/or 310 miles on a full tank. I say safely because these numbers would tend to reflect the low end of what the Rogue can actually deliver.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

On the high end, I read some people getting 400 to as high as 450 miles on a tank of gas in the Rogue. This is while researching the Rogue on various websites and people's commenting on their experiences.

Personally, when the weather was warm, I usually had 350-375 DTE on my trip display at full tank.

Yes, I know that thing is not accurate. But it is good enough for me.

mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

For starters the highest amount of gas I have put into my Rogue was 17.826 gallons.

Very rare do I get gas before the fuel light comes on. I have been able to make a stop after 5 or so miles of the light initially coming on, and then restart the car and it takes another 5 - 10 miles for it to come back on. I figure I have at least 40 miles left when the light stays on, but I can also tell by how many miles I have already gone on that tank and estimate it.

I also reset the counters each time I fill up. There are many times where I have gotten 16+ gallons but yet there is still a bar left on the gauge. (For those that ask, I have gone to different gas stations with the same results, so it's not just 1 that is shorting its customers) But I also fill it up a little extra past the 2nd click too. But I have never had it spray out of the car onto the ground, like some chick did a couple of weeks ago with her 300 and it got all over her outfit. Made me laugh.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

nugget2010 wrote:How far can you actually drive on the tank?
As all the other said, it mostly depends of your driving habits.

For me, when the light comes on, I know that I have less than 100 miles (150 kms) before empty. If I am not pushing the envelop, I watch my odometer when it lights on and add 100 kms to it, and that becomes my limit when I have to find a gas station.
nugget2010 wrote:So, how much gas is supposedly left when the light comes on?

As far as I remember, I think it has been written that each square represents about 2 gallons of fuel.Usually, my light comes on between one and two bars left but since it is not that precise, I would believe you have about 2.5 gallons left (between 7 and 10 liters depending of the car).That is usually where every manufacturers put their limit in order you to have about 100 kms before empty (in order to find a gas station).

If you look at how the manufacturers choose the size of the fuel tank, they usually look for a range of about 8-900 kms (500-550 miles), down to 6-700 kms in winter.I am not sure this is a regulation, but usually that seems to be what they want to achieve. Since some models have different engines options, that could change the range of course (therefore the 1100 kms range for diesel cars).

grace355
Car: 2010 NIssan Rogue

When gas light start blinkling, I ususally have 2 bars left, and short after, my trip computer shows how many miles I can drive w/ the remaining gas, and it usually starts around 45 to 50.

Cory1591

From my recording the more ou drive on the highway the better the DTE computer reads. i drove all highway with my rogue as a commuter car to college and with 50k on the odometer i get up to 475 to a full tank. last month i ran the car till 400 miles to a tank before the light kicked on and by the time i pulled in the gas station it read 420. then i calculated the MPG with my phone it read 33.5 MPG which is the most ive ever gotten on the car to date. Wow was what i said. Considering i am not a light driver. i tend to drive between 70-85 on the highway.

A_Miles2105
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Wife's)

For what it's worth, running to empty or so as a learning tool about ones car is a good thing.

HOWEVER, It is generally held that the lowest level of a fuel tank accumulates various crud and water over time. With a reasonably full tank (not much below 1/4 or when the warning light comes on) this stuff stays down below and is not a problem. When running past the warning point the residue from the bottom of the tank is thought to wreak havoc on the fuel pump screen sleeve, the fuel pump prematurely clog the fuel filter and do nasty things to fuel injectors.

Avoid running the tank below the fuel warning light as much as you possibly can.

An occasional can of fuel line anti freeze (Heet) is thought to absorb water and cause it to be burned harmlessly in the engine. A good injector cleaner (Techron, Sea Foam, Berrymans or lucas from time to time is cheap insurance as well.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Another thing to know is that most modern vehicles have the fuel pump in the gas tank and the gas is what keeps the fuel pump cooled. When you let the tank go to almost empty the fuel pump is not kept cool and this will cause it to fail prematurely. Always, always fill the tank at 1/4.

So my question: Does the Nissan Rogue have an electric in-tank pump in the tank?

If it does, Ya 1/4 is safe. Let it go too empty and you might suck more of the dirt in the bottom of the tank through the lines , filter - could clog up the injectors in the fuel filter is too dirty. in the winter - better to have lots of gas, condensation from being hot and then cold - due to weather can actually dilute gas. ( this is probably only a consideration if your car is hard to start in the extreme cold

BUT on the other hand, It used to be advised not to let the fuel get too low in the tank. This was because dirt could lay in the bottom of the fuel tank, this dirt could then be picked up and block fuel lines and jets. Fuel these days is so well filtered that this is no longer a problem so it makes no difference when you decide to add more fuel.

Hence, it all depends on certain variables:1- In the winter it is better to fill the tank ASAP to prevent moisture from potentially freezing the gas line and from running out of gas due to unexpected traffic or weather related issues.

2- If you are trying to save on the extra weight of gas then fill close to empty.

3- If you are mixing lo and hi octane gas then do it at 1/2 tank.

4- In the summer doing it 1/2 is better because the gas expands, but you could also get vapor lock. So do not fill it all the way if you want it not to over expand and spill or give extra pressure in the tank.

Modified by casperfun at 9:04 PM 3/24/2010

EHR
Car: 08 Rogue

I normally do about 375 miles before the light comes on and once drove close 35 miles after the light. Usually fill her up at the 3/4 mark.

philipa_240sx

Just a side note regarding fuel filters....

The fuel pump, pressure regulator, and fuel filter are all part of the fuel sending unit which is located in the fuel tank. The filter does not require replacement, servicing or cleaning of any kind. This is unlike older vehicles which used a separate fuel filter located in the engine compartment.

jakejohnson
Car: nissan maxima

i would try milesaftergaslight.com as well, it's a website that shows you how to calculate the miles you have left when the gas light comes on for any car. just plug in your cars numbers and it even calculates it for you

:dblthumb: :dblthumb: :dblthumb:

Chowcman
Car: 2015 Rogue SV Family Tech PW

after low fuel warning and --- km

I managed 40 km before engine died. Happen to me in during Xmas when my full tank only last 440km at 27 degree below 0 with a head wind 20 kph.

Indicator said 200km to empty = actual 130km.

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

This may seem like a simple question, but isn't seeing how far you can run your vehicle after the gas light comes on dangerous? Suppose you're in traffic when the engine suddenly stops. This is a rear end collision waiting to happen, not to mention having your vehicle blocking traffic. Also the fuel pump located in the gas tank uses the gas to keep it cool. Constantly running it low, can lead to premature failure of the pump.

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Most cars are very conservative with the low fuel warning light. You'll usually have around a gallon or two left when the light comes on and still a little bit left over once the needle really hits E. On my old Toyota HIghlander, the low fuel light would come on even with around 3 gallons left in the tank.

johnnybeerotten
Car: 2015 Rogue SL

I'm a bit late to this but we generally see about 500 km to empty when the tank has been filled. We drive a lot of city and have averaged 9.9l/100km to date. The best we've achieved is 7.1l/100km. For my American friends those numbers are, respectively, 310 miles, 23.75 mpg and 33.13 mpg. I concur with the comment about your fuel cooling the pump and have always advised my wife to maintain 1/4 to 1/2 tank, particularly in summer. My only question about this thread is why would you really want to find out how far you can go before being bone dry? I understand that some may have cash flow issues but it you start with a full tank and only fill it half as you can, then you'll always have half a tank and not have to worry about running out. In any event, the small tank is one of my beefs with our Rogue, even with our relatively low usage, we always seem to be filling it.

tsumeone
Car: n/a

I drove on the freeway with the tank down to "--- miles remaining" for 15 miles. Miscalculated when the next gas station was and the previous one I attempted to stop at was closed for the night.

Return to “Rogue Forum”