How is your 06+ windshield holding up - any cracks, chips?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
EdBwoy

I had an 06 M that came with 3 chips on the windshield. They never progressed beyond that despite the seasonal changes, so no big deal.
Earlier this year I got an 08 M. When I took delivery I noticed a little area on the glass with what looked like a spider web or glue "tail". After the first wash or windshield wiper action, I noticed a chip in the same spot so I guessed someone attempted some DIY repair to mask it :tisk: Oh well.
Fast forward to this past weekend. While driving I notice my windshield has another boo boo. It looks like a chip with a 4" crack spreading equally on either side of it.

I must have some odd luck with these things, because I can't remember any of my other cars attracting chips like the Y50s are. Does anyone else notice these issues or am I just getting goofy cars?

Just doing some prep work because I see a small battle coming up with the insurance company. My car has the lane departure warning and rain sensing wipers, so I'll be pressing for an OEM replacement if repairs aren't feasible.

WillV
Car: 2006 M35 Moonlight White/Tan Interior

No, I have not had any problems with my windshield at all in my 5 years of owning my car. But even if I did, in FL cracked windshields are super cheap with insurance. Very small deductible, I guess because the insurance companies must have it that way so everyone can drive with a clear windshield!

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

I have about 125k miles on my 06M, so far so good when it comes to glass. I have taken a few hits on the windshield that I thought were certain doom (loud crack noise from debris hits), but I only have a small shallow chip or two in the glass.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Yes - I have the same challenge - my windshield is near impossible to see through when bright sunlight hits it, due to all of the pockmarks from stones and rocks. I've only had to have one rock-mark repaired and it has held up for 5 years. I keep hoping one of them will finally start to crack and spread so that I can get a new windshield. The other challenge is the front bumper. I had it sanded down and repainted a couple of years ago, but you can't even tell it was repaired today due to so many rock-marks. I think it comes from all of the highway driving on I-5 to Seattle and back.

EdBwoy

I was curious to know if I had a poor quality replacement or if this was an OEM issue. Seems it doesn't affect everybody.
This is a pic of my windshield bug (lower driver side). And also from my quick search, AGC Lamisafe was OEM for some cars, not sure what other Ms have.

On a mostly positive note, my statefarm policy is that I only pay $100 deductible for a replacement.

steve_c

my wife has the M today, I am doing brakes on her 328 Beemer.
As soon as she gets home, I will post back. I have an early built 06, but I seem to think my W/shield info has some Japanese text in it,
but I am not 100%, will get back shortly

steve_c

My early build 06M (OEM windshield) reads:
Lami Safe
LP Asahi
M 314 ASI
DOT-20

Edbwoy, I have a picture but cannot post, I can send it via E-mail
I am lobotomyoneatoptonline.net (substitute equivalent numeral for one...also use @ for at)

EdBwoy

Thanks steve_c, sent you an email

EdBwoy

This is steve_c's

steve_c

I did a bit of research, Lamisafe is a trademark of AGC. It happens that AGC is short for Asahi Glass Co.
My windshield says "Lamisafe Asahi"
Edbwoy says "AGC Automotive Lamisafe"

Your glass is definitely OEM, not sure if it is OEM replacement though.

EdBwoy

Thanks steve_c, your time and contribution is appreciated.
It gets a little more interesting. I have a 2006 M parts car as well. The bug on this one is on the lower passenger side:

This one has the LDW as well, but no auto-wipers in 06 yet and has what seems to be a replacement (I know it had been in some kind of wreck in the past) windshield. That windshield seems very good, so I suppose I shouldnt shy away from a reputable supplier even if not OEM.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Mine is identical to Steve's.
LAMISAFE
ASAHI
M314 AS1
DOT-20
43R-006261
A001656

EdBwoy

Thanks guys. So far, the crack has refused to grow. I'll be patient with it.
I typically tint my windshields to help with vision issues. I still needed that first pock mark repaired and I wanted to get that done before tinting this one. It would have sucked to pay for those 2 services and end up replacing the glass again.

I'll try to swing by a glass place next week to get their opinion on the 2 blemishes on the outside as well as a quote for full glass replacement. Then I'll decide how to go about it, but from what I'm seeing, I will not really fight them if they offer an aftermarket replacement. I'll just ask what they use and do some research on it first.

EdBwoy

I finally had the chance to get a quote from the shop my local insurance agent uses:
Aftermarket glass from Mygrant ~$600
OEM glass ~$1,100
Both come with a lifetime warranty on parts & labor.

I also called an infiniti dealership to get a comparo for OEM and they gave me the contact for the company they use. Too bad I missed them by a few minutes, but I'd like to see what glass they use and get their opinions on it.

Windshield repair forums seem to approve of the quality of Mygrant glass, and as I said, I'm not hell-bent on the name on the glass as long as it offers the same protection.

EdBwoy

Here is what the company that the dealership referred me to is offering:

Pilkington Glass
$475 + tax

They will warranty labor (leaks, wind noise, etc) but only that. Cracks and chips I'm on my own. I understand, but if the other guys are offering a lifetime warranty on both parts and labor, and it costs me the same, why not?

I'll probably go with the first company.

* Edit. In conversation, the 2nd company told me that the original windshield would have an Infiniti emblem, but unless the people who have contributed to this thread all have replacement windshields, this doesn't sound correct for out cars.

nater414

I had a decent sized chip in my windshield when I bought the car. After waiting through winter to make sure I didn't get any more, I had ti repaired the other day. Looks good as new now! I'll get specs when I get home later.

EdBwoy

My windshield finally got replaced. The aftermarket glass is a Fuyao part. The installer said that's what GM uses these days. Doesn't bother me, it looked good and seemed to have a richer green hue below the blue band at the top.

The first time the guy showed up, he had to postpone because he didn't have the correct gel for the rain sensor. The existing gel smudged a little, but the sensor was still working. He said by his experience, my car required a gel pad, not the squeeze tub type.

Finally he got the right part (or best example he could get) and installed the windshield 2 days later, but now the rain sensor is very erratic. Of course I was the last customer before the office closed for the weekend, so I won't hear any info before Monday.
Aluta continua.

EdBwoy

I think I can finally lay this to rest.

The gent showed up with a new OEM sensor. Part # 28536-3NF7A
It came with some gel already on it, and when installed it works just as I remember (...I think. I never thought to test and carefully watch it before the windshield got replaced). It's sensitive enough with the new sensor and glass that putting one's hand over the sensor will cause the wipers to swipe.

He told me that his boss said that they've had to replace sensors for the Nissans they've replaced windshields on. I can't tell you why, because I can vouch that all he did was unplug and carefully remove the sensor. :gotme

Oh well, now you know what to look out for.

EdBwoy

And it only cost me $100 :woot:

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”