How I modified BOTH my door lights to blue

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Scuba Steve
Car: 2007 Nissa Versa 1.8SL Technology Pakage 6 Speed, Black

I took apart my armrests and looked at the circuit. I discovered that the passenger side has prewiring for LED lights, I purchased blue smt LEDS, resisters and 30 gauge wire and figured out with a multimeter the power source in the pc board and I now have illuminated passenger control buttons, I also changed the drivers side SMT's to blue. (Surface Mount LED)

This is what you need to do the job: I forgot to show my cordless drill, drill bitsand tiny flat screwdriver.

Below is what I accomplished. Original color was amber.

Removal from the vehicle: This is the passenger side, drivers side is removed the same way. Use a flat screwdriver.

Disconnect the wire from the switch:

This is the drivers side:

This is the passenger side

Below, these are the SMT LED's for the drivers side. (I marked it red arrow) All you need to do is swap out the old and in with the new blue SMT's. NOTE: Make sure you get the right polarities on the SMT's right, there is a small notch on the corner of the SMT that is the negative side. Just match it to way the original was soldered into the PC board.

To remove, heat up one side of the SMT, as you are doing that that use a tweezer or a small needle nose pliers and lift that one side up. The other side will be still attached. It just bends the contact on the SMT that won’t damage it. Then heat the other side and it’s off. NOTE make sure you use a 20 watt soldering Iron as you can damage the copper on the PC board! The copper will come off the board it there is too much heat.

Install the new SMTs by having enough solder on the PC board contacts. Put the SMT on top, heat the one side of the contact and press down on the top of the SMT with pliers, then do the other side. BUT you must go back the reheat the 1st contact and press down on the SMT until it is flat.

Below the passenger side module:Note: The power door lock switch on the driver and passenger side is only illuminated on one side (lock side) because of the design structure. there is a plastic rod right below the open logo that goes down to the circuit board, thus no light.Below you can see inside the power door switch, see the plastic rod...

I went to my local junk yard and found two armrests. I took out one of the plasic swithes from the drivers side which has a clear window for the light to shine through, so I removed it from the drivers side and put it in the passenger side.

This is the passenger button which needs to be swapped out as there is no clear plastic.

And this is what I am looking for the drivers side button, from the junk yard.

After you remove the Switch from the door, you need to take it apart a little more as these next pictures show.

To remove the buttons, you need a tiny flat screwdriver and slowly press into the side: The next four pictures are from the back doors. The switches are removed the same way as the front doors.

As it's partly disconnected on one side, hold it there with your fingers and carefully push and twist the screwdriver in the middle and pull the switch outwards, it should pop out. Note DO NOT FORCE IT you may damage the switch.

Below the one in the right is being replaced by the left one. Clear pastic.

These next two pictures show how the original PC board looked like (Passenger Side)

The electrical was dellicate, but well worth it!!

I also did an alternate modification. If you can't get SMT LED's you can use regular 12v Hyper LEDS. As shown below:Viola!Finished passenger side control!

These 12v Hyper LEDS are a bit brighter than the SMT LEDS with a 300 ohm resister, you can dim it more with a 600 or 900 ohm resister to match the brightness: Below is with a 300 ohm resister.

Below is with the blue SMT LED's. Passenger side is NOW illuminated whereas the original was not.

And now I have my rear door switches illuminated!!! Here are the steps.

Removal is the same as the front doors;Disconnect the wire using a small flat screwdriver push in & twist and pull out.

I used wire taps and wire coupler so if needed you can disconnect the whole thing without cutting the wires.

Below is the wire harness which we have to tap into the 12volt circuit.Blue is positive +12v, Brown is negative -12v.

Now we have to work on the two back door switches, we need to remove it from the armrest:Use a flat screwdriver to pry it up a bit

Now we have to take the switch appartInside of the switch

We now have to modify the switch casingUse a Dremel tool

This is how it should look like after.

Now you need to drill a 3/16" hole for the LED> I had to carefully measure this hole with a digital caliper as it's very tight inside the rear door swithes

You may not need to do this part, but I put foil tape in the inside so the light will reflect upwards into the button.

Now to put in the LED. I used hot glue.

Reassemble the white switch and the black switch cover.Now we need to support the wire. I drilled two small holes for the tie-wrap, as you can see in the next few photos.

Now take the switch and snap in back to the armrest holder.

Solder the LED wires to the connector wire, I also used heat-shrink tubing it makes it look clean and neat.Now tie-wrap that wire to the hole I made on the switch. It's as sturdy as can be, NO loose wires!

And now, connect all the connectors

Snap the whole thing to the door and you are done!!! All the door switches are lighted!!!

I have the feeling the North American Versa's were not given illuminated passenger side controls, as the Nissan Tiida might have this feature. (Update: A fellow member say's his Tiida does not have the illuminated lights) The circuit wiring is there but not the LED's or Resister's. Hmmmmmmm?

The heck with them! I did it!!!

Scuba Steve

Modified by Scuba Steve at 6:12 PM 10/2/2008

Skim302
Car: Nissan Versa S

Thats pretty awesome and alot more purtty then the ugly color it comes with. Now only if someone could figure out how to change the gauge cluster color I would be happy

Scuba Steve

Skim302 wrote:Thats pretty awesome and alot more purtty then the ugly color it comes with. Now only if someone could figure out how to change the gauge cluster color I would be happy
I have taken appart the stereo, and they are all LEDS, BUT, it's hell, I don't want to damage my stereo, so I'm laying off on that one for now. I also took appart the cluster below the stereo and that's easy. those use regular bulbs just two, I am going to order 2 blue LED's that fit into those sockets.

My next step is to open the speed, rpm gauge I actually have to remove alot of dash etc. I'll keep up the post on that.

Scuba Steve
Modified by Scuba Steve at 6:52 PM 9/9/2008

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

is there a way to alter the passanger window control from the drivers side to make them auto up and down like the drivers window?

blacksmaru
Car: 07 Versa SL

flippin sweet!

#1Tango

very very nice i like this a lot. i wish i had the time patience and skill to do this

Urq
Car: 82 Ur Quattro & 07 Black Versa SL CVT.

I would like some more info on that!also on the drivers side it was a plain swap out of the SMT's? no resister on the drivers side?

ziadc
Car: Nissan Tiida sedan 1.8 2008

Scuba Steve wrote:I have the feeling the North American Versa's were not given illuminated passenger side controls, as the Nissan Tiida might have this feature.
My Tiida 1.8 2008 doesnt come with illuminated passenger side controls.

djoxide
Car: 07 Mazda 3 GT Sport

dude yer a blue monster, looks sick!

Versafied
Car: 2008 Versa SL 6spd Black on black

Um, if you prepped this as a simple plug and play I would buy it.

Gr8dave37
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx Versa S

I am totally jealous this is awesome!!! good job steve!

Urq
Car: 82 Ur Quattro & 07 Black Versa SL CVT.

Do you also have a part number or type of SMT's used and who did you get them through?

xtremeversa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback

yeah.. id like to know exactly how you did that! you have very specific directions? please share!

matttail
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

That is awesome! I think I need to do this to my car too.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Great find Steve!!!

If you could put a little more clarity in to the original post. I can make it into an article and get you a custom title. Interested?

viet510racer
Car: 08 Black V SL

yea this is pretty awesome, can u please give us all the information/directions we need inorder to do this MOD. where did u wired the wire too?? fuse box? etc.

Scuba Steve

Sentientbydesign wrote:Great find Steve!!!

If you could put a little more clarity in to the original post. I can make it into an article and get you a custom title. Interested?
Thank you! I will gather more info and pictures for the article. (Give me a few days as I'm presently very busy, thanks)

Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

viet510racer wrote:yea this is pretty awesome, can u please give us all the information/directions we need inorder to do this MOD. where did u wired the wire too?? fuse box? etc.
The power is right in the PC board, no need to wire to the fuse. I will post more info in a couple of days....

Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

superskunk wrote:is there a way to alter the passanger window control from the drivers side to make them auto up and down like the drivers window?
That's a great idea, but fortunatley, I'm not that smart

Scuba Steve

xtremeversa wrote:yeah.. id like to know exactly how you did that! you have very specific directions? please share!
I will post more info in a few days.......

Scuba Steve

ziadc wrote:
My Tiida 1.8 2008 doesnt come with illuminated passenger side controls.
Which model Tiida's do you have in Dubai? I wonder why Nissan eliminated these lights? Even though it's in the PC board schematic. Costs??????????

Scuba Steve
Modified by Scuba Steve at 12:20 AM 9/11/2008

ziadc
Car: Nissan Tiida sedan 1.8 2008

I've 2008 model. Even the door mirror switch is not illuminated.
Scuba Steve wrote:
Costs??????????
Did you hear about that guy from airline company who had proposed an idea to reduce the number of olives ( I think 4 or 5 pieces) in each meal served in their Airplane by doing this they could save tens of thousands of dollars every month !

viet510racer

any more tips/info on this mod scuba steve???

Scuba Steve

viet510racer wrote:any more tips/info on this mod scuba steve???
I just updated the information above..... Anymore questions are welcome!

Scuba Steve

#1Tango

you can make money off this :-D tell pple to send you their parts and do your mod for some bucks! i would be down

viet510racer

hey steve, can u do a write up of how u did those under lights??

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Looks like a great write-up.

Let me know if you'd like a custom title. I'll talk to the admins about it.

Scuba Steve

Sentientbydesign wrote:Looks like a great write-up.

Let me know if you'd like a custom title. I'll talk to the admins about it.
I also added the lighted back door switches, which I completed yesterday.

Custom title: Step by step guide on how to add LED lights to ALL your Nissan Versa door switches! (And the color is your choice).

Scuba Steve ([email protected])

Modified by Scuba Steve at 4:33 AM 9/19/2008

xtremeversa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback

i've looked EVERYWHERE and i STILL cant find led's! where do i need to go to get them?????

Scuba Steve

xtremeversa wrote:i've looked EVERYWHERE and i STILL cant find led's! where do i need to go to get them?????
Have you looked in the yellow pages under electronics?? Let me know...

Scuba

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”