How Fast Are You???

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
DaBalla07
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE

Alright I havent found much of this topic and if so its a bit old. When I first joined NICO I asked how fast are maximas as far as rating and being stock. I have made about a hundred passes now with my 02 6spd Maxima and have found to be quite quick in my opinion. I started out running 15.5 but after more time in the seat and on the track I have run a 14.3 @97 still all stock with nothing done other than a little bit of race fuel (2 gal. lol) not that it mattered but still. I have been talking to friends and family about beating their mustangs(I hate gay stangs) and none of them think its possible, but I've raced 12 and only lost against two of them (1 cobra and 1 mach 1 both had upgrades) I know that v-6 and stock v-8 mustangs dont stand much of a chance and have beat gt's as well but, my cousin swears that if I ran 5 stock gt's I'd lose all which I feel is incorrect and caused me to post this. Post how fast you are and include the major upgrades you have if any. So to start it off: (stock) 14.3 @97mph

LA02MAX
Car: 2002 6-speed maxima

I went to the track for the first time ever in any car and ran a 14.3 @ 98.27 my very first run. If I had new tires and motor mounts I'm sure I could have nailed a 14.1...My car's a stock 2002 6-speed and I actually had reverse weight reduction (weight addition, if you will) with 50 lbs. of sound deadening plus heavy 12.6" brake rotors up front. The car was fully loaded jack and all...

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

'01 Maxima intake/exhaust 3.0l... not the 3.5

[email protected]

A.Tech
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE Black on Black 5-speed, and yes. I know my avatar is a Gen 5... lol

14.3 huh? I am sorry but that just seems off... Is that a VQ35 btw? I mean an a crappy SRT-4 gets about that. and those are rated @ 260HP on dynos with a cold intercooler(230HP by dodge with hot)

C&D mag rated my car with a 15.2 per 1/4 mile for a VQ30

LA02MAX

A.Tech wrote:14.3 huh? I am sorry but that just seems off... Is that a VQ35 btw? I mean an a crappy SRT-4 gets about that. and those are rated @ 260HP on dynos with a cold intercooler(230HP by dodge with hot)

It seems off in what way? Typical 6-speed maximas (regardless of year, they all have VQ35s) run low 14s. 14.1-14.3 is typical and I've heard of one 14.0.

What do SRT-4's have to do with this discussion? They're lighter, they have a completely different powerband than us and they're under-rated. Your car is completely different as well. Stock 4th gen 5-speeds range from high 14s to low 15s and there have been a couple 14.6 stock and trap much lower (in the 93-94 range) than VQ35 maximas due to the non-variable US intake manifold and no CVTC.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

I see nothing wrong with a VQ35 running low 14's.

I've seen a 97 VQ30 5 speed with the 2000 VI run around 14.6 on a hot summer day (with ambient air temps in the high 90's). And that was with street tires, after a two hour drive just to get to the track.

DaBalla07

yes they are vq35's 3.5L in the 2002 with 6spd 14.3 I pushed and obviously it's been done more than once with others besides myself. As soon as I get my digital camera working again I'll snap a pic and post it as proof not that it matters but just so you know its legit. I also want to add thats all stock and I am ordering a stage 2 clutch and putting a nismo intake on this wknd for very minimal gain but then plan to add headers and a downpipe and run high 13's and maybe mid 13's with a squirt of juice; which will be just enough for me until I get my STI for more dedicated racing. Correct you have a VQ-30 and run low 15's those that have the VQ-35 are able to run low 14's and yes 255hp is the rating (its the same setup as a 350z other than the ecu and more weight on a maxima). This is a forum for maximas so please keep the dodge garbage off here eventhough its used as comparison I think there is lack of knowledge bc I hate them damn things but I believe they run mid/high 13's to very low 14's stock because they are way lighter and smaller junk. (same thing as a regular pos neon other than motor and a little turbo)

Beancooker

A.Tech wrote:14.3 huh? I am sorry but that just seems off... Is that a VQ35 btw? I mean an a crappy SRT-4 gets about that. and those are rated @ 260HP on dynos with a cold intercooler(230HP by dodge with hot)

First off, the info posted about the 3.5 is true. Second, you run a '98 maxima. Same as mine, but you don't have the VIAS intake system. So you are 30hp less than me. My car rates at 222hp, but after it passes through the autotragic tranny, and after all the mods, it's 185 hp at honest best. HP is rated at the flywheel by the manufacturers, and you can expect a 20% loss thru an autotragic, and 10-15% loss in a manual, depending on the clutch. I ran a 15.4 on an 80* day with 80-90% humidity. Track temps were good, and there was not a bunch of rubber from the V-8's yet.

All I can say about a Dodge Neon is... I'd rather run a 15.4 in my Maxima than a 13.0 in a Neon. They are ugly and cheap looking with no style or class.

915max
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima

I'm currently down.... but not for long... .... I hope!

A.Tech
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE Black on Black 5-speed, and yes. I know my avatar is a Gen 5... lol

Wow, So the $350 bucks for a MEVVI to slap on my car is not really worth it I suppose. Well not for just a small .6 sec gain. I rather see at least a sec but that would never happen. lol. If I knew these Gen5s did low 14s constant I would of tried to save up more for them. I love my Gen 4 but man... I am just wondering If I could save up just a little more $$$... but I got a good deal (imo) on this car and the Gen5s were all $7500 and up...

O and 2000 and 2001s had VQ30s with VVI with 222HP just to let ya know... Where in 2002 Nissan Upgraded the engines with the VQ35 plus VVI to get 255HP.

Modified by A.Tech at 1:47 PM 2/2/2007
Modified by A.Tech at 5:28 PM 2/2/2007

Beancooker

Right, AT THE FLYWHEEL. After the drivetrain, it is a lot less!!!

DaBalla07

O and 2000 and 2001s had VQ30s with VVI with 222HP just to let ya know... Where in 2003 Nissan Upgraded the engines with the VQ35 plus VVI to get 255HP.[/QUOTE]

actually the change was effective in 02, trust me I have one and I know for a fact because I have visual proof I can look at, plus everywhere online I found after getting it told me that, yes as beancooker explaned thats at the flywheel which is where all cars are rated prolly onl 230 or 240 to the wheels but its more than the vq-30 and im happy,(FOR NOW).

A.Tech

yes... I know... I would say WHP or BHP if I was saying the HP for those.

LA02MAX

A.Tech wrote:Wow, So the $350 bucks for a MVVI to slap on my car is not really worth it I suppose. Well not for just a small .6 sec gain. I rather see at least a sec but that would never happen. lol. If I knew these Gen5s did low 14s constant I would of tried to save up more for them. I love my Gen 4 but man... I am just wondering If I could save up just a little more $$$... but I got a good deal (imo) on this car and the Gen5s were all $7500 and up...

O and 2000 and 2001s had VQ30s with VVI with 222HP just to let ya know... Where in 2003 Nissan Upgraded the engines with the VQ35 plus VVI to get 255HP.
First of all it's MEVI (Middle Eastern Variable Intake) and it's just VI (Variable intake) 00vi stands for the DE-K IM. VVI makes it sound like you're talking about variable valve timing which only the VQ35s have. Secondly you most likely would not gain .6 seconds from just a MEVI. You have to understand that the MEVI takes away low end torque but returns it on the upper RPM band giving you a higher trap speed but not much lower times as a USIM.

Third, the 5th gens would cost $6-10k for a 2000-2001 with the VQ30DE-k But those don't run low 14s stock. 5.5 gens will cost you $10-16k ($10k being a semi-decent one with high miles)

And finally, the FWD VQ35 was over-rated in the maxima for horse power and under-rated for torque. We typically put down 205 whp/ 220 wtq which equates to about 240 crank HP and 265 crank TQ.

A.Tech

yea. I know what your talking about and I know it is call Middle eastern I just say VVI for quickness... Also... I remember be a bit confused a little while ago when people said you can add VVI to a VQ30 and for a while I was asking myself... How can you add Varible Valve Intake by just changing the Intake manifold and peilum chamber? Cause you may need to change the heads or Valves along with the cams to have effect of the timing. Than I thought about what you said about adding just the VI to a VQ30 and the VQ35s have a completly different setup aka VVI. So you cleared it up a little.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yup....

Stock with 42k on the factory Potenza's I did a best of 14.90 with my autoTragic. The track I race at TOTALLY sux as nothing I can do would stop it from spinning into mid 2nd gear. I would have a much lower time if the track wasn't always oily from the V8's and if I could find a day that the weather was not screwed up (there were snow flakes falling during my run)

I have not run with my upgrades either....

LA02MAX

A.Tech wrote:yea. I know what your talking about and I know it is call Middle eastern I just say VVI for quickness... Also... I remember be a bit confused a little while ago when people said you can add VVI to a VQ30 and for a while I was asking myself... How can you add Varible Valve Intake by just changing the Intake manifold and peilum chamber? Cause you may need to change the heads or Valves along with the cams to have effect of the timing. Than I thought about what you said about adding just the VI to a VQ30 and the VQ35s have a completly different setup aka VVI. So you cleared it up a little.
The 5th gen LIM (lower intake manifold) bolts directly onto the VQ30DE heads. There are a few fitment issues with the upper IM but there are several options to get around each. For example, the DE-k manifold sits lower than the DE IM and does not clear the stock DE coils, so there are some that drill out holes in the integrated vacuum canister on the IM itself to clear the number 3 and 5 coils while using an external canister (like you do with the MEVI), and there are some that just swap the rear valve cover and use the DE-k coils which clear the IM fine (obviously the easier option, though more expensive). Another issue is with the injectors, but most people just use the DE-k fuel rails to avoid having to deal with the injector clip issue.

The VQ35s have completely different IM's and the power valve actually closes at the upper RPMs to imitate the effect of shorter runners (read: greater top-end power). The 00vi does the same things but it has an internal canister and it opens at upper RPMs to get the most out of the powerband.

And note that the 'VVI' you're talking about refers to a completely different thing. VQ35s have VVT (variable valve timing) on our intake cams while all the VQ30s do not. Variable intake manifold is a completely different thing.

A.Tech

thanks for the extra info on the DKs and yea....

I know most of them... They all have there VVT is the general name of all the implementations and all do different too similar things if it is MI-VEC for Mistu V-Tech for Honda or VVTI for Toyota... Etc...

Nismonkey
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37 Sedan Journey

mine's pretty quick...my BUTT dyno says mine runs mid 14's...

96maxse

umm..... faster than V6 mustangs and at least one RSX with full exhaust and intake

Beancooker

Nismonkey wrote:mine's pretty quick...my BUTT dyno says mine runs mid 14's...

A.Tech

faster than ANY RSX...

Just about close if not... Not as quick as the Type-S...

NDFORSPD
Car: 1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

lol V8 mustangs? I dont think so not in stock trim. The stanger (04+ GT will put down 260 AT THE WHEELS) not the crank, so I fully doubt a stock Maxima will take em down(unless your the stick driver of the century). Ive raced stock V8 mustangs with my mildly modded GTP and just kept up with them, lol v8s.....easy fella. A good 1/4 for a stock GT is roughly 13.6-14.0 And fyi, the SRT (altho dodge built) is a big contender in track meets, some give the V8 guys more than a good run

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”