How Far Can You Drive Without The Fob/Key

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
gordondjm
Car: Infiniti M35x

Dropped off my wife and son at the door of a movie theater the other night and forgot that my wife had the key fob in her purse.

The car beeped at me a few times as I drove off to park. Made me wonder: will the car shut off at some point when it looses contact with the key/fob. I assume it would as an anti-theft (car-jack) measure, but not sure.

Just curious.

Gordo
Modified by gordondjm at 8:57 PM 2/21/2010

FNAWSM
Car: Diamond Graphite '06 M45

It will drive as far as the tank of gas will take them... or until the car is turned off. I suppose if the car was jacked they could fill up while the car was running and keep the joy ride going a little longer?

dvan

Yeah it will drive until it A) Runs out of gas or B) someone turns it off. After than it cant be restarted.

We just had a fellow NICO's member get his M45 stolen when he left the car running to warm it up (FOB was in his pocket). He got it back when the thieves turned the car off behind a church

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

It's easily the stupidest feature ever.

True story - I was dating someone with a new Sentra, had the pushbutton start... She pulled up from going to the store, hopped out (with keys), and I hopped in.

I was driving to Tucson (2.5 hours away).

I made it to Tucson, stopped for gas, and turned the car off.

^&*&@)%$%*@)(&%$%)!@_(#$%!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!

Guess who sat in the parking lot for FOUR hours while she found a car to come get me in? (She couldn't drive any of mine, all manual trans).

Stupid feature that serves no useful purpose.

tekxp007
Car: 07 M45 Black with Bourbon, 19" Rims, Spoiler & Aero Kit

I wouldn't be so quick to call it ...
AZhitman wrote:It's easily the stupidest feature ever.

Stupid feature that serves no useful purpose.
That feature has been beneficial to me many times. On occasions when my family and I are about to leave and we notice we forgot something, I can quickly run back inside without worrying about leaving the car off and my wife and daughter is in the car.

Also let's say the feature turned off the car if it detected the fob was no longer inside the vehicle. What would happen you were on the road and the fob battery died and it lost that connection, that would be more annoying for the car to turn off itself just b/c the fob battery died or is too low.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

tekxp007 wrote:That feature has been beneficial to me many times. On occasions when my family and I are about to leave and we notice we forgot something, I can quickly run back inside without worrying about leaving the car off and my wife and daughter is in the car.
We've managed with normal keys for 80 years.

That's hardly a sufficient benefit to justify a system that allows you to drive 450 miles away, only to find you have no keys.

Leave the key in the ignition and the car running. Your wife can lock the doors with a press of a button and unlock them when you return.

Electric door locks are lovely.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Why is it the cars fault you did not check if you have the fob? If you switch cars and you leave your house key in the other car would that be the cars fault too? LOL

I love the system. It works great. You can start the car push the outside door buttom to lock it and you can go back to the house or where ever you want to be.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

What I can't figure out is why these radio transceiver keys are still shaped like giant USB drives or novelty keychains. They're HUGE. What gives?

The obvious ideal design for the car-key radio transceiver is a credit card-like format. Transceivers as thick as 2 or 3 credit cards that fit in your wallet are very common for building access control systems...they've been around for a long time.With that form factor, you can put it in your wallet and NEVER have to think about it again. Never forget it. Never need to look for it. And with features like intelligent key and cars like the EX featuring proximity-triggered perimeter illumination, there's no need for the remote even for the lock/unlock/etc. buttons.

Women can leave it in their purse, guys can leave it in their wallet, no one ever has to have that extra bulk in their pockets and no one ever has to forget their key again, because if it's in their wallet it's with their driver's license. And if you happen to forget your wallet, you'll get a pretty quick reminder when you try and unlock the car.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

I'ld prefer a chip embedded under my skin as a Drivers License, Car Key identifier, bank machine reader, work card swipe reader. That way I don't have to think about these things anymore. Make the car then active RFID reader not the chip.

M

zozoka1212

MinisterofDOOM wrote:What I can't figure out is why these radio transceiver keys are still shaped like giant USB drives or novelty keychains. They're HUGE. What gives?

The obvious ideal design for the car-key radio transceiver is a credit card-like format. Transceivers as thick as 2 or 3 credit cards that fit in your wallet are very common for building access control systems...they've been around for a long time.With that form factor, you can put it in your wallet and NEVER have to think about it again. Never forget it. Never need to look for it. And with features like intelligent key and cars like the EX featuring proximity-triggered perimeter illumination, there's no need for the remote even for the lock/unlock/etc. buttons.

Women can leave it in their purse, guys can leave it in their wallet, no one ever has to have that extra bulk in their pockets and no one ever has to forget their key again, because if it's in their wallet it's with their driver's license. And if you happen to forget your wallet, you'll get a pretty quick reminder when you try and unlock the car.
Sounds good. I think they went with this design for few reason. One of the reason is it holds the atually key what you need if the fob is dead or malfunctioning.

AZhitman
Administrator

zozoka1212 wrote:Why is it the cars fault you did not check if you have the fob? If you switch cars and you leave your house key in the other car would that be the cars fault too? LOL
No one's "blaming the car".

I've driven for 24 years. If a car is running, there's a key in the ignition.

You try changing a habit you've had for 24 years and see how it works out for you.

Again, I still don't see a valid purpose for it.

BTW, in your example, if the fob is still "in range", someone can walk up, unlock the door, and drive off. The range on the one I messed with was further than I expected.

zozoka1212

AZhitman wrote:
No one's "blaming the car".

I've driven for 24 years. If a car is running, there's a key in the ignition.

You try changing a habit you've had for 24 years and see how it works out for you.

Again, I still don't see a valid purpose for it.

BTW, in your example, if the fob is still "in range", someone can walk up, unlock the door, and drive off. The range on the one I messed with was further than I expected.
After 15 years I switched to this and had no issue since end of 06. I guess I adopt to a new easier than you. Maybe the 9 years makes a different.

Ah the door only can be opened with the buttom on the door if you are right beside the door. So some literally have to knock you off from your feet to get in the car to open it and drive it away. If I am more than 2 feet away with the fob you CAN'T open the door just by pushing the buttom on the door. It doesn't even work on the other side of the car. If you stand at one side of the car with the fob in range and somebody try to get in from the other side they can't till you hit the buttom.

It is a smart fob with the smart system.

Not sure how the Sentra is( never driven one) but the G actually bips when you have no key in the car and you try to drive away. Also show on the dot matrix display " No key" sign.

FNAWSM
Car: Diamond Graphite '06 M45

I personally really like the key fob, but i can see how driving 2.5 hours away without it would make you jaded. Ive never forgot to take my key but the "NO KEY" on the dash is a pretty good reminder... its just short of actually saying it.

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

I've never had a remote start, but I know plenty of people who have and/or do. When they start their car, the key is not in the ignition, and this was possible in the 90s. They can't take the car out of park to drive it away. This is more a security issue than anything, as one of our members knows all too well. It would be silly for the car to turn off when you got out of it, but it is equally silly for someone else to be able to drive it off when you forget something and don't know to lock it. It should keep running, but either lock the transmission in park (if it is already in park) or shut down the engine on some trigger where a fob not working while driving down the road wouldn't be an issue, for instance, when taken out of park (but only when in park to begin with). This seems like common sense to me, the current system is a step backwards security-wise. Even if you lock your doors, someone could break and take your car when it is running, and while that was the norm when the key was in the ignition and the car didn't know any different, it shouldn't be in a car that can know.

gordondjm

More thoughts on the subject than I really considered.

I just found it funny considering I had specifically asked my wife for her key before we took off, and she said I didn't need it. It wasn't until I was running back to to her (in the rain) to get the fob so that I could lock the car that I realized that the driver should always have the key...

Gordo

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

FNAWSM wrote:I personally really like the key fob, but i can see how driving 2.5 hours away without it would make you jaded. Ive never forgot to take my key but the "NO KEY" on the dash is a pretty good reminder... its just short of actually saying it.
Seriously what would it have taken Infiniti to add a speech module. Chrysler had it on their 80s luxury cars!

rsg123
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

I like the feature...especially if you have to run in to your house after starting the car because you forgot something etc. You can lock the doors and not have to shut off the engine, preventing the 45's clanking problem when the engine is turned off and restarted when cold.

pwlorraine
Car: 2009 G37 convertible moon white / stone / auto / sport/premium/nav/tech 2010 EX35 nav/bose/premium/

This is probably a "feature" in that doing it other ways would be a significant nuisance. If the system shut down everytime it didn't detect the key you'd run the risk of having the car shut off on the highway when the key battery failed or it was hidden electrically by something else like your laptop. That would be unacceptable. The disadvantage is that you can drive off if you drop or leave your key and strand yourself. I've had to train myself to leave the key in my pocket at all times. I would like a credit card key - I wonder how hard that would be to make.

I'm not sure how the key detect circuit works - pushing the unlock or lock button on the key initiates a radio transmitter over a distance. The smart key seems to be able to localize you better - it can tell which door you are next to for example. I'm wondering if that circuit is more like an EZ-PASS - no battery but a circuit that "reflects" a probing signal.

I had the key fall out of my jacket pocket when fumbling for my phone on my g37 vert and the key wound up below the seat - hidden by a fold in the carpet. I was completely bewildered about where the key was - whether the car was detecting the key in my house next to the garage. I finally concluded it had to be under the seat even though it looked clear and found the carpet fold that it was under. Arrgh!

Peter

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I don't see why the car can't simply display a warning saying "Fob no longer in range" or something like that to let you know you left it somewhere BEFORE you get to your destination and turn the car off.

By the way, there's a MUCH simpler solution to the whole "leave the car running and lock it" thing if you need to run back inside for something than this whole key fob glitch. Nissan did it once in the 90s and dumped it for some moronic reason:Ford still uses it. Nissan for some reason abandoned it. EVERY CAR SHOULD HAVE IT.

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

If I had to press multiple buttons, I would just as soon have a keyed ignition and manually remove the fob from the chain for the keyless entry, this is what I always did with my Park Avenue. The keyless ignition is great, and it should be controlled by something that remains on your Park Avenue. To me, having to still insert something means that something ought still be a key that is less likely to cause other problems (BMW didn't feel this way when they went keyless, and I'm sure they're not the only ones, but I beg to differ). Regardless, the problem isn't that the key can leave the car while it is running, it is that the anti-theft security wasn't well thought out.

zozoka1212

pwlorraine wrote:This is probably a "feature" in that doing it other ways would be a significant nuisance. If the system shut down everytime it didn't detect the key you'd run the risk of having the car shut off on the highway when the key battery failed or it was hidden electrically by something else like your laptop. That would be unacceptable. The disadvantage is that you can drive off if you drop or leave your key and strand yourself. I've had to train myself to leave the key in my pocket at all times. I would like a credit card key - I wonder how hard that would be to make.

I'm not sure how the key detect circuit works - pushing the unlock or lock button on the key initiates a radio transmitter over a distance. The smart key seems to be able to localize you better - it can tell which door you are next to for example. I'm wondering if that circuit is more like an EZ-PASS - no battery but a circuit that "reflects" a probing signal.

Peter
I totally agree with you. I love the way it is. I would not want any sytem with over secured and run the risk to shut the frickin car down on me when you are somewhere. The more complicated the system is the better chance for malfunctioning.

About the card. I like the fob for one reason. It gives you everything. If we had a card than you need to have the actual key with you too in case the fob is dead or malfunctioning. Now in that case you need to worry about 2 things instead of 1.
MinisterofDOOM wrote:I don't see why the car can't simply display a warning saying "Fob no longer in range" or something like that to let you know you left it somewhere BEFORE you get to your destination and turn the car off.

By the way, there's a MUCH simpler solution to the whole "leave the car running and lock it" thing if you need to run back inside for something than this whole key fob glitch. Nissan did it once in the 90s and dumped it for some moronic reason:Ford still uses it. Nissan for some reason abandoned it. EVERY CAR SHOULD HAVE IT.
It does tell you " No key" And beeps few times.

Also you can lock your car when it is running if the fob is with you. All you have to do is push the buttom on the door. I think it is much better to have one switch on the door not 4-5. I actually think the way it is now is lotr simpler than the system from the 90's.

Only thing I can think of being over kill is when it shows your battery level getting low in the fob. You can have the same battery for months after it shows the batery is low. Still working. I can kind of understand they don't want you be in trouble and they set it too sensitive.

M35 Sport
Car: Infiniti M35 Sport

MinisterofDOOM wrote:What I can't figure out is why these radio transceiver keys are still shaped like giant USB drives or novelty keychains. They're HUGE. What gives?

I think this is how some mercedes cars are.

John2
Car: 2013 M37x

msvara wrote:
Seriously what would it have taken Infiniti to add a speech module. Chrysler had it on their 80s luxury cars!
I drove one of those Chryslers for awhile. It would stall in intersections, and then the voice would tell me "your oil pressure is low". Made me want to pull it's little digital throat out.

Plus for some reason it thought "a door is a jar".

tytamto
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

Not sure about your guys' M, but my car beeps when it is on and the key leaves its proximity - if that isn't enough of a giveaway that you do not have the key... then there is a message on the small screen on the dash in front of the driver that say "NOKEY"!

And no, it does not mean that you will get your 'nookey' when you get to your destination, because you drive an Infiniti M. It more likely means that you will not get $hit, espacially if your girl/wife/gay lover needs to drive 250 miles to rescue your dumbass - the last thing on their mind will be to give you a piece.

Now, if only the car would confirm that I have my wallet with me, it would be an even nice feature!

I love my proximity key fob. One of the best features on any car that has it!!!

About Tree Fiddy
Car: 2012 550i

The Intelligent key system is one of the best ideas ever. My previous vehicle (Toyota) had their version of the Smart Key system and after living with it for a few years I loved it and decided it was a must have feature for my next car. The system on the M functions just like the Toyota.

I guess I don't have the trouble adapting to new technology that some folks have (and I've driving way longer than 24 years). I'm also somewhat curious why someone would purchase a high end vehicle from the premium division of a manufacturer then spend so much time whining and b****ing about the new technology on the car. Seems like an older vehicle, a lower line vehicle or one from a manufacturer that doesn't implement new tech very rapidly might be a better fit.

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

About Tree Fiddy wrote:The Intelligent key system is one of the best ideas ever. My previous vehicle (Toyota) had their version of the Smart Key system and after living with it for a few years I loved it and decided it was a must have feature for my next car. The system on the M functions just like the Toyota.

I guess I don't have the trouble adapting to new technology that some folks have (and I've driving way longer than 24 years). I'm also somewhat curious why someone would purchase a high end vehicle from the premium division of a manufacturer then spend so much time whining and b****ing about the new technology on the car. Seems like an older vehicle, a lower line vehicle or one from a manufacturer that doesn't implement new tech very rapidly might be a better fit.
Ah, my beloved son. I didn't know you were on this forum too...

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

About Tree Fiddy wrote:I'm also somewhat curious why someone would purchase a high end vehicle from the premium division of a manufacturer then spend so much time whining and b****ing about the new technology on the car. Seems like an older vehicle, a lower line vehicle or one from a manufacturer that doesn't implement new tech very rapidly might be a better fit.
Have you met the modern automotive market? It doesn't leave a lot of room for choices. You can count the number of non-premium RWD performance sedans on one hand. If you want RWD and a V8 you don't have any choice. And the way manufacturers package options makes things even worse. I don't care for TCS or VDC or even ABS. But I have to get it unless I buy something in a whole 'nother segment. And if you go outside the US you can't even escape from the tech by buying an econocar. Tech has become ubiquitous. Simply buying a different car to avoid it is not an option. My requirements for a car are simple: large, V8, rear-drive. I'm not going to downgrade to a G35 just to avoid nannytech...I don't WANT a G35. It is missing two of my requirements. And even the Versa has ikey. You can't escape the tech invasion. Every car is laden with it, even in the entry market.

digiboy

You can always put the fob in its slot like a key in the ignition. And why don't you have two keys? My wife keeps hers somewhere in the deep recesses of her purse.

hfmstretch
Car: 2006 M45S

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”