How do you take the spare tire off.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

I wanted to change my tire but couldn't take off the spare. Is there a way to remove the spare. btw its a 02

volp
Car: 99 Infiniti QX4

on the 99 qx4 there are tools under the rear seats. all the essentials plus a long rod that looks like a T (except the - part is really small). in the trunk there is a little hole that you put the rod into (- part first) and then push it down and turn it. might take a couple turns to catch. then just lower the wheel down all the way, its on a chain, and pop it off. the rest is the standard of changing a tire. It should be in the manual, but on mine it was really confusing so it took me a little while to figure out.

Hope that helps! although it could be completely different.

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

Thanks , I actually found a diagram in my owners manual. My spare is fuken huge and dirty.

volp
Car: 99 Infiniti QX4

so was mine, the chain holding it on was all rusted. i thought it might break. but alas it held.

Deadpath

Bumping this...
Where is the slot to lower the spare on a 1998 PF, 2 wheel drive? I am looking all over and only see a slot just to the left of center in the doorjamb and can find nothing on the right. I have tried to use the slot on the left but nothing grabs the T bar and I am pretty sure this is not it since everyone says it is on the right. My owners manual only has info for a spare mounted on th back tailgate so it is no help at all.

Thanks

Deadpath

Deadpath wrote:Bumping this...
Where is the slot to lower the spare on a 1998 PF, 2 wheel drive? I am looking all over and only see a slot just to the left of center in the doorjamb and can find nothing on the right. I have tried to use the slot on the left but nothing grabs the T bar and I am pretty sure this is not it since everyone says it is on the right. My owners manual only has info for a spare mounted on th back tailgate so it is no help at all.

Thanks
Nevermind, it was the slot just to the left of center. The trick was getting the t-bar in at about a 40 degree angle and getting it in about 6 inches or so to get to the lowering mechanism.

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

I found on my 02 that it is not always easy to align and lock the T-bat to the mechanism. First time I misaligned the T-bar and poked a whole on the guiding plastic tube. I order a new one and installed. Also my T-bat tip got a bit bent due to my abuse.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Reminds me I need to tighten mine, I can hear the tire banging around when I drive lol

zach7685
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4
2001.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2003-Subaru Baja
1989 Nissan Maxima
2003 GMC Savanna
2002 Mini Cooper S
1968 Mercedes 230-Sold
2005 VW beetle Convertible
2001.1 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Oh wow...

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

This also reminds me, I should try lowering the spare on mine and make sure it actually does come down. I don't think I've ever tried, don't want to be stuck out in the country and not be able to change a flat.

My last Pathy worked fine, but I had a Chev before and the wingnut they used to secure the tire was frozen on the bolt because it was so rusted.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

It would be a wise idea to lubricate the spare tire mechanism once in a while, especially if you live in a colder climate which uses salt on the roads. You don't want the chain to rust through and have your spare tire drop somewhere!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”