How do you replace the high-mounted stop light on a qx4?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
robdancarter
Car: 2001 Infiniti Qx4

I broke the mount on my the high mounted 3rd brake light and ordered a new part for it. I've searched everywhere in this forum, on other sites, and in the manual, but can't find any instructions on how to change the entire stop light mount (not just the bulb). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I have done this before, I'll try to look later and note down some instructions for you.

robdancarter

Thanks! I found the below instructions for a replacement on a pathfinder, but when I tried to do this before, it wasn't quite this simple.

Remove the negative terminal from the battery using the 10 mm open end wrench.

Using a nylon pry bar gently detach the rear covering over the third brake light.

Lift the safety catch on the electrical connector and pull the connector from the wiring harness.

Remove the two mounting nuts that attach the light to the Pathfinder with a 10 mm socket and ratchet. Pull the light free from the vehicle and place in a trash receptacle.

Place the new brake light over the mounting studs and tighten the two nuts using the socket and ratchet.

Reattach the wiring harness to the brake light. Replace the interior covering over the brake light and press on the panel until it snaps securely into the mounting hardware.

Attach the negative terminal to the battery and tighten with the 10 mm wrench.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

That sounds about right for my Pathfinder. Is the QX4 somehow different? There is probably an exploded parts view and maybe disassembly instructions in the BT or EL sections of the factory service manual; find a link in the general information thread linked in my signature.

robdancarter

Thanks. I didn't see much, but I'm about to go home and see if I can get this done so I'll update on any progress or changes that may be needed with the above directions.

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

I've been into my CHMSL (Center High-Mounted Stop Light, the SAE-speak name) a couple of times on my '01 PF.

I don't see any reason to pull the negative battery terminal.

The cover is held on by three or four phillips-head screws. Do be careful putting these back.
If they do strip out, you can swab the hole with some five-minute epoxy, wait an hour, and
put the screws back.

Chuck
Last edited by Chuck Tribolet on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

robdancarter

Okay I finished putting the stop light on and it was the same as the instructions above. Pretty simple really. I had trouble getting the bolts out of the window, byt a little duct tape on the iutside kept them in place so i could ratchet the nut on the inside. just a tip for anyone else doing this.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”