How do you replace radiator fan?

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
hobber
Car: Golf, golf & GOLF

My radiator fan has stress cracks in it. I would like to replace it my self, but I am uncertain where to start.

Should I remover the radiator cover, or remover the fan at the belt plate? Any hints will be appreciated.

:)

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

You need to remove the fan shroud (4 screws) and lift it out from the top. The shroud is a two peice design, so you'll need to unsnap the bottom cover and then lift the large part up. Then just unbolt the fan from the viscous unit. Be sure to use the correct torque specs when you put the new fan on - only 4.3-7.2 ft lb. You don't want to strip out the viscous unit!

This is a great time to replace belts if they haven't been done for a while.

Check out LC-16 in your service manual if you have one.

Heath

natsoundup

I've got the same stress cracks and I am preparing to buy a new one.

This sounds a little stupid...but are the belts hard to replace in the Q?

For comparison sake, I consider the upper links and easy DIY job

valleybouy
Car: autos computers stock market

I replaced my 91 Q fan without removing anything. Took about 15 minutes. valleybouy

paintwgn
Car: cars, flying

Replaced my fan (91 Q) last weekend. Also did it without removing the shroud. Take your time in removing and replacing the 4 bolts. If you drop one you may never find it!

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Boy, that's the truth. The belts aren't too difficult to replace. Each tensioner pulley has a nut locking the bearing down--loosen those first (14mm). Then loosen the tensioners (12mm). The tensioner studs are threaded so that right-tighty, lefty-loosey always applies to the belts. Getting them just tight enough and not too tight can be a bit tricky. You can always tighten them later; replacing broken parts is a lot more work.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”