How do you remove the radio?

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
8084x4

I have an 82 4x4 standard cab. I want to install a radio. First I need help taking out the factory radio. How can I do this? :wtf2:

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

umm... not sure as mine had an aftermarket radio when i got it... but i assume it would be pretty simple if you remove the dash :gotme:

welcome!

captainzeros
Car:  
1981 Datsun 720 Longbed
1973 Datsun 240Z

I forget exactly, but there is one pain in the a** screw on the bottom of the radio, you can access it if you have nimble hands and a small screwdriver, and it helps to pull out the ash-tray. The radio itself pulls straight out the front if you have all the fasteners out, then again other than the one PITA screw on the bottom, I don't remember if there even were any other screws, ie, if there are, they're probably fairly obvious.

85NAPSZ
Car: '85 Nissan 720
'90 Toyota Corolla

If you plan on installing an aftermarket CD player, good luck! Removing it can be a pain, but installing a new one is a whole new kind of pain. I had to take mine to a professional shop because since our trucks are so old, aftermarket radios don't fit right in. In fact, our radios are a tad bit smaller. To install mine they had to cut out pieces of my dash in order to fit a cage for the radio in. If you do plan on installing an aftermarket radio, I really would advise NOT trying to cut it yourself due to the fact that your dash could crack because of the age.

captainzeros
Car:  
1981 Datsun 720 Longbed
1973 Datsun 240Z

I cut mine and it turned out a-ok, I used a dremel with a grinding wheel and sort of cut/melted it away. Was obnoxious, really. I suggest pulling the whole dashboard out of the truck if you're gonna go that route, it's only 7-8 screws and a couple quick-detach wiring harness plugs + the speedo cable.

bracktheron720
Car: 1984 720 with 1980 datsun front end,1972 yamaha cs3

im not sure about getting the old one out but putting one in is not hard at all...i installed mine in the center console..not the dash but iv had my dash out a few times to do sum work on it and i dont think it would be hard to install it there i think a dremel would be your best friend!!..and maybe one of those cheap radio install kits from schucks to get a nice finish...the center console is just plastic so i just used a exacto knife to do a little trimming..

jdatsun
Car: 1980 Datsun 720
1981 Datsun 720 4WD

It is a pain, I just took mine out yesterday. Take out the ashtray, remove the heater control cover (2 screws and a light) It is WAY easier if you have a very short phillips as the control levers for the heat/cold selector do not allow for a long screwdriver. There are 2 screws to hold the radio in, one of which has a small black plug over it. Pop off the plug to get to the screw and have at it. Like I said, it is WAY easier with a short screwdriver. And yes you will have to cut the dash to get it to fit. Done carefully (x-acto or Dremel) it can turn out really nice. Just be patient and take your time, thats my biggest suggestion for this project.

Return to “Datsun 720”