How do you like your Maxima?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
S13Coupe
Car: S13 Coupe

OK Maxima people, I need your unbiased opinions here. I'm thinking of buying a daily driver so that my 240SX can be just for fun and tracks, and I was thinking Maxima. I don't have a big budget, so this will probly have to be an early 90's model. Things that I want out of my DD are reasonable gas mileage, reliability, and sorta sportyness so it's not too boring to drive. I don't doubt that it will be plenty for the sporty part. I'll probly do a little suspension work and a nice quiet exhaust eventually to help with that anyway. As far as gas mileage, I know it's not gonna sip at it like a civic, but I don't think it will be too bad. But I have never known anyone that has owned one of these so I don't know anything about their reliabilty. So I need some opinions about how reliable they generally are considering that I am someone that keeps up maintenance on my cars. Or do they tend to have a new problem every 2 weeks like most people I know who own 240's? Thanks for the opinions

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Early 90s will probably put you in a third gen (J30 chassis) which ran from 1989 to 1994.

Third gens are excellent cars. They've got an awesome chassis, IRS, very solid. I drive a 93. It's my only car and I love it. It doesn't make tons of power, especially by todays standards, but it makes more than enough for the car to be fun. It drives like it's smaller than it is. The steering is light and provides great feedback--very natural feeling, not overly assisted and numbed. The Maxima demonstrates very good fit and finish as well as materials and build quality, even by todays standards. The dash is made of a durable (i.e. won't crack from sun exposure) soft plastic that looks amazing even after more than a decade. Interior is high quality, whether outfitted in leather or cloth. I've heard numerous people comment on how incredibly comfortable the J30's seats are--even people who drive much more expensive and luxurious cars.

I get mid-to-upper 20s fuel milage. On long, strictly freeway roadtrips, I get about 31mpg (and this is driving at ~80 mph. ~65mph should yield even better milage).

The Maxima has a HUGE trunk.

Depending on what year you buy, you may have several options to choose from. The Maxima is a luxury car and the Nissan flagship, so it pretty much came fully-equipped. "Options" consisted of a Bose stereo system (which was really a downgrade from the base Clarion system) and a HUD much like the on found in S13s. There was also leather, a power sunroof, power seats, and digital climate control.There was no base model J30--the base model didn't appear until the 1995-1999 A31 Maxima.

The GXE is the luxury model. Still sporty, but with slightly softer suspension. The GXE also had the unique door-handle keypad which enables you to lock and unlock the doors, pop the trunk, and roll down the front windows with a code. It also enhances the factory car alarm with an ignition lockout. The featured a chrome grille and body color "side skirts."The SE featured a spoiler and sportier suspension. In 1992, the differences increased to include a different motor (more on that in a minute) as well as a twin-tip exhaust. From 1989-1992, the SE's taillights were smoked. The SE grille was painted body color, and the "side skirts" were flat black. The SE's 4 speed auto came with a limited slip differential, where the GXE's did not. There was, of course, also a 5 speed manual option.

The engine differences may be a huge deciding factor for you. Both are great (and I mean great) options. They just go different directions. From 1989 to 1991, all Maximas had the SOHC VG30E. This is the same motor that the Z31 300ZX used. This is my favorite of the two. It makes 160 horsepower and 182 ft lb of torque. It's got a strong low RPM range, and doesn't suffer too much on the high end.In 1992, the VE30DE replaced the VG on SE models. This is a very rare engine, having only appeared in the Maxima for those two years--no other car ever saw this engine. The VE is a much more SR- or Honda-style motor. It's got a higher redline, and a much weaker low end than the VG. But it's DOHC design, combined with VTC gave it a strong top end. It makes 190 horsepower and 190 ft lb of torque.

I have 210k miles on my original VG, and it runs beautifully. It's a very durable engine, and I expect to see past the 300k mark before I need to think about replacing it. The biggest downside of the VG is the fact that it uses a timing belt, which must be replaced every 60 thousand miles. This is a fairly costly ordeal (~$600). The VE uses timing chains, and therefore will not require the regular 60k mile replacement.

As far as reliability:My car was purchased brand new by my father. I've known it all 13 years of it's life. At 178k miles, the automatic transmission gave up the ghost, and I had it rebuilt. It's needed front shocks once. I had a power steering high pressure hose leak, which caused collateral damage (damaged rubber suspension components), but that could have been prevented if I'd caught it sooner. Most of problems my car has had have been minor: rear driver side power window died, a seatbelt sensor is busted so it dings thinking the seatbelt isn't on (this is covered by a lifetime seatbelt warranty, I just haven't taken it in yet) and my cruise control died. Cruise control is usually an easy fix for anyone skilled with a soldering iron.

A J30 will make a great daily driver. Just make sure you don't buy one that's on the verge of a transmission failure (which tends to happen around 180k miles for most cars). You could always swap in a lower milage 5 speed as well--which would be more fun anyway. And make sure you buy one that's had the timing belt replaced regularly and on schedule. A timing belt failure could easily finish off an engine. If you can get those two issues sorted out, you'll have a very mechanically sound car.

The J30 Maxima is my real forté in the automotive world, so if you have any other questions about it, I'll be more than happy to answer them for you.

S13Coupe
Car: S13 Coupe

Thanks alot Minister, that's a lot of info on the car. I definately think I might pick one up.

It seems like most of the downsides to the car are not really a problem for me. I only want one with manual, cause I just don't like driving automatics, so I don't have to worry about that going out as easily. Changing the timing belt I can figure out how to do so I don't have to pay so much, or I can get one with the VE.

Only problem is that now I'm getting a little exited about the car, and that's gonna make me want to do something crazy with it. Maybe I'll grab some manifolds and turbos from a 300Z and get a custome downpipe made NO, this is my DD. It needs to be stock......ish. I won't be able to stop myself from buying some springs, shocks and wheels probly.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”