How do I replace a 1991 Nissan Pickup radiator?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Graham

I have a pretty leaky radiator that needs to go. I am confident that I can change this a save myself some cash in labor. Can someone give me tips and/or how to's on this? Things to be aware of, etc. Procedures. For instance, when i have the new radiator installed, do I fill it up and start the car without the cap on? Those kinds of things. Thanks.

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Here's how I would do it.

1) Drain radiator.
2) Remove upper and lower hoses. Also remove overflow bottle hose. If automatic transmission remove both cooler lines and plug with bolts or gold tees.
3) Unbolt and remove air cleaner resonator pipe. (2 X 10mm bolts).
4) Remove the access panel from the bottom of the fan shroud, this will allow you to remove the entire assembly without removing the fan blade assembly.
5) Remove upper radiator mounting bolts. (2 x 10mm).
6) Lift out radiator assembly.

Installing the new unit is the reverse of that list.

Fill the radiator with coolant.

I suggest you get one of these...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-2 ... MgodhicApw
It makes burping so much easier.

You will need to remove the 10mm bleed screw from the intake manifold (4cylinder) which is located right next to the coolant temp sensor. Fill the radiator until coolant starts pouring out of that hole then replace the bolt. Leave the funnel in the neck of the radiator while starting the truck. Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature. Once the t-stat opens up you can remove the funnel and reinstall the cap.

Hope that helps!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”