how bad is it to redrill 5 lug brake rotors to 4 lug

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
jrb92se
Car: 1989 s13 coupe

ive got the 300z front brakes but im keeping my four lug.im going to d/a to buy some wearever 300zx rotors; but i was told my rotor will break in half while im driving if i drill four more holes in it, what do you guys think.? i know people have done it before but how safe is it really????????

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Whoever told you that is retarded.

While it's not the best thing you can do, it's not gonna hurt anything. I'd recommend having them done at a machine shop, shouldn't be more than $20 or so.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

AZhitman wrote: shouldn't be more than $20 or so.
dam... people are charging me like $50+ to redrill my q45 rotors

nissanman04
Car: '90 240SX, '95 Subaru Legacy

i had no problems w/ mine, and i did it myself...i have since gone 5 lug but the redrilled rotors worked fine.

jrb92se

the guy at the machine shop (girlfriends dad) says it will weaken the rotor and it could break if i go in to a corner hard or something like that, hes got a sweet old school w/b slant nose porche 911 and used to race a little bit. my car is a daily driver mods to the left in avatar.
Modified by jrb92se at 1:18 PM 2/9/2007

adrianfromthecastle

jrb92se wrote:the guy at the machine shop (girlfriends dad) says it will weaken the rotor and it could break if i go in to a corner hard or something like that, hes got a sweet old school w/b slant nose porche 911 and used to race a little bit. my car is a daily driver mods to the left in avatar.
i honestly dont see how thats possible, even in hard cornering for racing... i could see that possibly happening if you redrill the wheel itself, but as far as the rotor breaking... i dont see that happening because the wheel compresses it and keeps it in place. its not like the rotors are supporting the weight of the car during sway, its the wheel itself that supports the weight.
jrb92se wrote: i was told my rotor will break in half while im driving if i drill four more holes in it, what do you guys think.?
in most cases, because the diameter is already 144.3mm from the middle, you'd only have to drill 3 holes cuz you can already use one hole.

Modified by adrians_s13 at 10:24 AM 2/9/2007
Modified by adrians_s13 at 10:27 AM 2/9/2007

New2SR20
Car: 89 240SX

arent there companies these days that actualy sell the 300zx rotors in 4 lug?...I could have sworn I saw it somewhere

Alfador
Car: 1990 240sx Hatch

^ if you want to pay out the *** for it. Anyone could easily buy a big break kit as they are so lovably called, but the whole point of the Z conversion is that its assloads cheaper.

jrb92se

were getting off topic now noone is buying a big break kit
adrians_s13 wrote:in most cases, because the diameter is already 144.3mm from the middle, you'd only have to drill 3 holes cuz you can already use one hole.
if you do this will the rotor still be balanced properly

adrianfromthecastle

jrb92se wrote: if you do this will the rotor still be balanced properly

nopilot s13
Car: SR equipped Chuki

give these guys a try http://www.jgycustoms.comin the brake section they actually offer the 4-lug drill out for upgrade rotors that they sell - hope this helps

jrb92se

would i be better off drilling four new wholes or using one of the existing holes

Tulsa_S-13
Car: 1991 SR 240sx

I redrilled mine, but it wasn't a simple procedure of just marking where the holes were to be drilled and then drilling them with the drill press.

Here's how I did it:

Basically you're making a pattern for the 5 lug rotor by making a "rotor sandwich." Place 4 lug stock rotor on top of 5 lug rotor. Align one hole and, using it as a guide, place a bolt through. Make sure the bolt is fairly snug as to not allow too much movement while drilling.

Ok, so then you need to secure the 2 rotors together, I used clamps and made sure the center of the rotors were nearly perfectly aligned. Ok, so after everything is lined up you need to figure out where to place the rotors on the drill press in order to get the drill bit though the stock 4 lug rotor hole without drilling into the 4 lug rotor itself.

Ok, so now that everything is secure and bolted/ clamped in place and you're sure that nothing will be moving around while drilling you can go ahead and drill a hole. After the hole is done stick another bolt through the now drilled hole. You can than reclamp the position of the rotors on the press and drill another hole.

Hope this makes since to everyone, and sorry for not having any pictures but I did this during the summer time.

*Be sure to use cutting oil*

In case you're wondering if everything is balanced on my car, I've driven around with the Z32 brakes for about 5-7k miles without any problems. Even under hard braking I don't notice any signs of warpage or imbalance.

gnomes321
Car: 95 S14

Tulsa_S-13 wrote:I redrilled mine, but it wasn't a simple procedure of just marking where the holes were to be drilled and then drilling them with the drill press.

Here's how I did it:

Basically you're making a pattern for the 5 lug rotor by making a "rotor sandwich." Place 4 lug stock rotor on top of 5 lug rotor. Align one hole and, using it as a guide, place a bolt through. Make sure the bolt is fairly snug as to not allow too much movement while drilling.

Ok, so then you need to secure the 2 rotors together, I used clamps and made sure the center of the rotors were nearly perfectly aligned. Ok, so after everything is lined up you need to figure out where to place the rotors on the drill press in order to get the drill bit though the stock 4 lug rotor hole without drilling into the 4 lug rotor itself.

Ok, so now that everything is secure and bolted/ clamped in place and you're sure that nothing will be moving around while drilling you can go ahead and drill a hole. After the hole is done stick another bolt through the now drilled hole. You can than reclamp the position of the rotors on the press and drill another hole.

Hope this makes since to everyone, and sorry for not having any pictures but I did this during the summer time.

*Be sure to use cutting oil*
Thats how I did mine and they work fine, except I used one hole from the five lug rotor when I drilled the 4 lug pattern so I only had to drill three holes. I've taken it out on the track several times and had no issues.

Tulsa_S-13
Car: 1991 SR 240sx

Yea, I used one of the holes on the 5 lug rotor so I just had to drill 3 holes

kouki munster
Car: 97 base 240

Or, if your lucky like me you have an old 4 lug hub lying around you can use as a template.

Just remove all but one of the studs from the hub, put the rotor to be redrilled on the hub, clamp together, and then use a drill press to drill 3 holes. There is no alignment nessesary because the hub centers up the rotor perfectly.

travisn

***also*** few people know how to drill correctly... first step would be to set it up like the others said. make sure you have a full set of good sharp drill bits that go all the way up to the final hole size. first you need make sure you drill in the center so put the final drill bit in the press (use a press please, it turns at a slower speed which is better and it can be made to be square to the rotor) so anyways, use the final drill bit to center the drill bit in the hole, drill down just a little bit so you know where center is. the go down to a 3/16 or 1/8 drill bit and go slow and steady, dont push too hard bc youll bend then break the bit. use lots of oil, or tranny fluid if you dont have any... the same company that makes PB blaster makes a cutting oil, which is good bc its in a spray can so you can spray it where you want it. but when you go through with the small bit move up ONE size. yes i know it sounds like a pita but it will go faster and make your drill bits last longer bc they arent working as hard. if you go one size up it only has to take off a little bit so it basically drops right through. ive watched people jump to a huge bit right away and sit there for ever dulling the crap out of a bit and taking way too long. even if you dont believe me, try it once. bc im sure youll do it from then on.

kamikazestorm420

ive redrilled my rotors when i put my q45's in. ive since been to the track, canyons, still holds up fine.

jrb92se

her dad has been a machinist forever he can handle it i gave him a 4 lug rotor for a template will it be better for him to poke 4 new holes or just 3

kornaz
Car: 95 240sx SE.

4 luggers...

jrb92se

87 camry stay on topic

kornaz

jrb92se wrote:87 camry stay on topic
it's only Internet... On another note... Get some decent 4 lug brakes or go 5 lug.

kouki munster

kornaz wrote:On another note... Get some decent 4 lug brakes or go 5 lug.
That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, why spend $300- $500 on 5 lug hubs just to put on bigger brakes?

kornaz

Beatupsx wrote:
That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, why spend $300- $500 on 5 lug hubs just to put on bigger brakes?
Dunno. Why people are doing the 5 lug convo then? Why there is more choices in wheels for 5 lugs? Suck your 4 lugs up and STFU idiot.

Jookmasta

kornaz i think ur off topic. also, us 4 lug people do suffer in rim choice but that's it. we (as in all 240s) are fortunate to get the stopping power of a big brake kit at such a low cost. and yes, a q45 front brake upgrade is cheaper than converting to five lug, but like u said, others go five lug for various reasons. to the OP, it won't make a difference and it won't shorten the life of the rotor...........

jrb92se

kornaz wrote:
it's only Internet... On another note... Get some decent 4 lug brakes or go 5 lug.
decent four lug brakes or go 5 lug..... hmmmmmm..redrilled 300zx rotors and 300zx calipers..............thanks for no help at all..... you missed the whole point of the thread

kouki munster

kornaz wrote:
Dunno. Why people are doing the 5 lug convo then? Why there is more choices in wheels for 5 lugs? Suck your 4 lugs up and STFU idiot.
Wow, your an ***hat, every idiot (you included) knows the main reason people do 5 lug conversions is for larger wheel selection.

Also, did you even read my post, where in my previous post did I say anything about wheels anyways? I stated that your idea of converting to 5 lug just to upgrade brakes is retarded.

jrb92se

well guys sorry to break up your pissing fest but please stop arguing , i know the main reason to get five lug is for wheels but i didnt want to spend the extra money; thats way off topic besides i already got some bad *** four lug drifz wheels.............

any way good news: i got the rotors from her dad this morning his shop is serious i have pics but it wont let me upload them for some reason. he drilled them on a real deal cnc machine like orange county choppers type stuff!! it was sweet.......and best of all it was free

adrianfromthecastle

kornaz wrote:
wow... that was pretty ignorant...

old school pwns you. there is a wide selection of 4 luggers that clear z32 brakes, people just dont search hard enough, and think the only thing out there for 4 lugs are sportmaxes

Fenris
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX
1989 Nissan 240SX

Meshies! Theres lots of 4-lug meshies Riken, Enkie, just have to find em... Im still looking.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”