Horn not working, keeps blowing the fuse (Solved)

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
gsm18
Car: 1999 infiniti I30

I have a 1999 I30. I don't know what happened, but my horn has always worked fine until about 2 weeks ago. I noticed it wasn't working so I checked the 10 amp horn fuse under the hood and it was blown. I replaced it and tried the horn, it gave a very brief chirp but that was it and the fuse had blown again. I replaced the horn relay on the driver side under the hood but that didn't fix the problem. Next, I disconnected the wires from the horn, replaced the 10 amp fuse and hit the horn, it didn't blow the fuse. It only blows when the horns are connected.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Could it be the horn itself, or maybe a ground? It's always worked great until now. Also I checked every single fuse in every fuse pannel on the car and they were all fine except the 10 amp horn. I've searched the forums for hours and can't find a similar problem. Any help would be great.
Last edited by gsm18 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Sounds like the horns have gone bad. They're not expensive from your local parts house. Get one high tone and one low tone to replace yours and see if that works.

Welcome to NICOclub.

gsm18
Car: 1999 infiniti I30

Thanks for the reply, I bought both horns and just replaced the one that had failed. Threw a new fuse in and voila, it worked just fine! ......but then I noticed my tail lights weren't working unless I pushed the brake pedal, used the FSM for my interior fuse block and found that I had a blown fuse and some other fuses that were in the wrong place. After replacing and rearranging a few, everything worked fine, including my cruise control that had stopped working :biggrin:

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”