Hood release broke - How do I open my hood?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Jonny5alive
Car: 2012 Rogue AWD

Hi all,

This is the first issue I've had that I couldn't find a fix for with the search function.

My hood release latch inside the car is no longer releasing the hood. I've inspected the latch itself and don't think it's broken - it pulls on the cable as it should and holds the end of the cable as designed. I've also manually pulled on the cable with pliers to no effect. So that leads me to believe the issue is with the lock (release) under the hood.

Anyone know how I can get access to the release under the hood so I can open it and fix the cable?

Thanks

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

oh man... thats a nightmare.

you cant get the bumper cover off, because its' tabs are under the hood. you cant get the hood off, because the latch is behind the bumper cover.

i would try it from underneath.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

Jonny5alive
Car: 2012 Rogue AWD

I finally got my hood open and thought I'd post an update.

I removed the splash guard under the bumper and tried to blindly reach up and activate the hood release lock without success. After giving up, I went to the local garage and was able to get it open with assistance by removing the interior release latch and putting all my strength into pulling the cable while the tech pulled up on the hood. I ended up pulling the cable and sheath through the plastic catch near the latch but the hood eventually opened.

He thought the release lock might have rusted or frozen which is why the extra force was required. After spraying some lube on the lock mechanism and replacing the cable in the regular spot it now works fine.

I was in Chicago for most of my 2012's 57,000 miles. It might be good preventative maintenance to occasionally lube the lock / release if you're in a northern climate.

therealroland
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD + Premium Package; tan interior

Had the same happen to a '05 dodge grand caravan. Plastic tab broke off, used pliers to pull on the cable, while moving the hood up and down in the locked position. After a while it wiggled loose, and was able to open the hood properly.

Chicago area for the last 8 years...

From then on I always lube the latch a little bit every time I have to open it. On all cars ( including the '14 rogue )

Return to “Rogue Forum”