Homelink safety question

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
Tim30250
Car: 2009 G37 Journey Premium/Nav/Cargo Net!!! 2002 330Ci - Supercharged

Is there some type of safety feature whereby the homelink button WON'T open my garage door if someone, say, breaks into the car and pushes it?

I tested it, and the button still operated the garage door even with the engine off and the smart key 50 feet from the car. Will the homelink buttons be disabled when the car is locked?

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Tim30250 wrote:Is there some type of safety feature whereby the homelink button WON'T open my garage door if someone, say, breaks into the car and pushes it?

I tested it, and the button still operated the garage door even with the engine off and the smart key 50 feet from the car. Will the homelink buttons be disabled when the car is locked?
Why not park the car in the garage and close the door?

Telcoman

Kendahl
Car: 2008 G37S, Blue Slate, Premium, Navigation

Tim30250 wrote:Is there some type of safety feature whereby the homelink button WON'T open my garage door if someone, say, breaks into the car and pushes it?
This situation is the same as leaving the car in the driveway with a portable opener inside.

The chapter of the owner's manual that covers programming the homelink has instructions for clearing it. Then, you will need the portable opener to open and close the door. You will also have to remember to put the opener into the car when you leave home and take it out again when you return. Big PITA.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I wonder if it's memory would be lost if you moved the homelink to a switched circuit?

Heath

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

Do you have the lock bottom on in the garage opener inside the garage? I have on mine and if I hit that neither the outside wireless keypad nor the homelink work. Also you can lock the door from the garage to the house if you are affraid.

Tampa G35 Sedan 6MT
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT Black w/ Premium & Areo Pkg
1989 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Lifted and Old School!

I think that if they gonna break into your G to open the garage door to get into the house... then you got bigger problems...

Also... Why don't you put a dead bolt on the entry door from the garage?

One more thing... Don't you park inside of the garage with the car? so why would you break into your car if they are already in the house?

I leave my car open all the time...

If they want something inside they gonna take it anyway... and then i wil have a window or lock to fix! always been this way about it... but then i live in a safe area... we don't even lock the house doors...

DJ

zozoka1212

Same here. Door is not locked. Even few times accidently left my garage door open overnight. LOL It's ok but once it was snowing and windy. I had to shovel snow from my garage.

Tim30250

telcoman wrote:
Why not park the car in the garage and close the door?

Telcoman
I got more questions than answers here...

Well, ya see, I have a 2-car garage. My BMW and the wife's Lexus park inside and I can't find a way to squeeze the G in between them.

I do live in a very safe area, but the G is parked outside, and the homelink being active at all times would add one more way the house is vulnerable to home invasion should the criminal element wander into the neighborhood.

There is a deadbolt on the inner door from the garage to the house, but the problem is the door frame itself would shatter with deadbolt in place from, say, a swift kick, because it's not reinforced like the front and rear entry doors are.

I'm not trying to be paranoid here, I just don't see the reason to intentionally reduce the safety of my home. I was hoping that the car would be smart enough to deactivate the Homelink when there isn't a smart key nearby like it deactivates the start button. If someone is pressing any of those buttons without the key, they do not own the car, and are up to no good.

CrackaLackin
Car: 2005 G35 Sedan 3.5L Lakeshore Slate/Um... the tan/grey one

Homelink can be found on lots of cars, I wouldn't be shocked if there's some limitation on the vehicles ability to "shut it off" without clearing the memory or something ridiculous like that.

If the G never goes in the garage, maybe just don't program it's HomeLink? Personally I would just use the "Lock" feature on the garage door opener at night (if it has something like that)

And yes, this is a limitation of the HomeLink

Kendahl

i live in a safe area... we don't even lock the house doors
We live in a safe area, too. There hasn't been a burglary since we moved here 20 years ago. Nevertheless, we keep our doors locked, park our cars in the garage and don't leave stuff outside.

Our next door neighbor leaves cars and other stuff outside because they have more than will fit inside the house. Over the same 20 years, they have had two cars stolen out of their driveway.

zozoka1212

^ That doesn't qualify safe area in my book if cars were stolen from your neighburs. Just saying.

To the op. If you have the 2 cars in the garage and the G won't fit in than why do you need the homelink conected. If you only use it sometimes and worry that much about it than just disconect the homelink and use a remote controll in the G and never leave the remote in the car.

Tim30250

CrackaLackin wrote:If the G never goes in the garage, maybe just don't program it's HomeLink? Personally I would just use the "Lock" feature on the garage door opener at night (if it has something like that)

And yes, this is a limitation of the HomeLink
Exactly what I do. Locking the button from the inside pretty much solves the problem.

Tim30250

zozoka1212 wrote:
To the op. If you have the 2 cars in the garage and the G won't fit in than why do you need the homelink conected.
Few reasons.. The keypad for the home's alarm system is just inside the garage (I was too cheap to pay the extra cash for another by the front door) so it's easier to come in through the garage and turn off the alarm. Secondly, our kitchen is closer to the garage than the front door so it's easier and faster to bring groceries in through the garage. I also like not having to keep a separate remote in the car to operate the door, it's neater and cleaner with the Homelink.

zozoka1212

Well the option is yours. You either pick the safer or the neater way.

So conclusion is if you want to do it safely reset the homelink and use remote and carry it instead of leave it in your car or you can have the neater way and have less safety.

Kendahl

zozoka1212 wrote:That doesn't qualify safe area in my book if cars were stolen from your neighburs.
By that standard, there isn't a safe neighborhood in any city in the United States. If you leave your stuff outside, sooner or later, some lowlife will cruise by and steal it. The "better" parts of town (i.e. more expensive houses) and surrounding rural areas used to be safe. They aren't any longer.

Zozoka, are you from Canada? I grew up in Brantford, Ontario, which is a small city 20 miles west of Lake Ontario. My elderly parents used to turn off the lights and go to bed early in the evening. This made it look like no one was home. One night, a guy came in through an unlocked door looking for stuff to steal. Fortunately, he left as soon as realized there were people inside.

zozoka1212

I did not say Canada is perfectly safe. Brantford isn't safe that for sure.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/0...-rank/

Ranked pretty high on crime. 17th worse in Canada. My city is ranked 74 and 1.5 times bigger than Brantford.

However I live in a safe area. Our biggest issue in the neighborhood was 2 years ago somebody egged 3 houses 2 roads down from my place. Probably kids.

They are building a police station on the oposite side of the road. I know just on my street 4 cops There is maybe 30 houses. Almost every night I come home there is a cop car front of their house. I assume they comming home for a coffee. Maybe grab some donuts. LOL

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I'll test mine today...not sure if you need to have the car running to engage homelink.

I'll post up results after lunch

Tim30250

zozoka1212 wrote:Well the option is yours. You either pick the safer or the neater way.

So conclusion is if you want to do it safely reset the homelink and use remote and carry it instead of leave it in your car or you can have the neater way and have less safety.
Not exactly. I can have neat and safe. I will continue to use the homelink, but once I get home and enter through the garage I will flick the switch on the inside garage door button to the "lock" position so it won't respond to any signals. Then, the next morning I will flip the switch to "unlock" so I can close the door with my homelink on the way out.

Best of both worlds is possible here, just involves a tiny extra step and 1.5 seconds of my time each day. No biggie. I was just hoping that the car would disable homelink like it disables the ignition button when I'm not the one pushing it. Seems like it would be easy enough to do..

zozoka1212

Hm.. that's what I said in my first post. LOL

Tim30250

...and that was the winning advice, thanks!

jayvee
Car: Hyundai

Anyone can break it then, and that is not full secure idea. What if a special recognition system is added in the features, something like that any unknown and un-recognize gesture or person in general, if scanned, the mechanism will not work.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”