"Home made" work / task / camp light...

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Camelfilter
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE
2009 Titan Pro 4X Crew Cab

I apologize for not appropriately referencing the site/post/source for this idea. If anyone runs acrossed it I will do so.

Preamble...

I had been thinking about buying a bright work light / camping light, something that I could plug into a 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter socket)-or direct connect to a car battery. Bright enough to use while doing repairs, as well as setting up camp / breaking down camp. Something which wouldn't drain the battery "too quickly".

The ones I had seen online, and previously owned are either very expensive, or used halogen type lamps/bulbs. The one I had previously owned was incredibly bright, but also used those halogen tube type bulbs, so although I don't remember the specifics, it was surely high wattage (?20-50Watts +).

My folks had bought a very nice desk lamp/reading lamp which used an LED bulb. Its 12V, with a power converter plug at the household wall socket. It is very bright and would work great for my idea! But, my Mom wouldn't have her evening reading lamp anymore if I took it apart to play with. Buy another one? Nah, too pricey (I think they said it was ~40-50$, maybe more).

Getting to the point...

I saw some LED bulbs in a Lowes store, and seemed to recall seeing someones post online about modifying them to use as either a bicycle light, or the exact same application I wanted.

The bulbs I saw are a size MR16, 20W equivelant, but only use 6W. They were $9.99, (half price or more of what I had previously seen online). -Half price I thought, worth playing with then...

How to mount it? That seemed to be the problem. Housings for those type bulbs seemed to be expensive, at least in my brief search. The bulb socket can found online for 1$ or even less.

I remembered seeing some underwater lights online at Harbort Freight which might work in my application (I also remembered seeing someone else modifying them on the internet). They cost $12 each, and my local Harbor Freight had some. The same store also had all kinds of 12V accessory cords. I bought an 8' coiled extension cord for a cigarette socket $8, and an accessory cord assortment which included aligator clips to a female 12V outlet 7$.

Cost : 10$ for bulb, 8$ for coiled cord w/male socket (with a fuse in it), 7$ for cord assortment.

I had to modify the MR16 bulb by cutting a few mm off of the heat sink, as the Harbor Freight underwater lights use the smaller MR11 type bulb. A dremmel type tool with a cutting wheel and wire brush did the job with ease.

anyways...here's the first one I made:

Top down image of modified MR16 bulb (I put some Yelllow Vinyl film on it):

Picture of the MR16 bulb before cutting down the heat sink ("Ecosmart" brand from Home Depot on the left, Sylvania from Lowes on the right). The "Ecosmart" seemed it would be easier to modify the heat sink, so that is the one I used.

My new work light clipped to an accessory bar I put on my bike rack:

Same:

Conclusions:

I really like it, and I think it's danged nifty!

I ran it for over an hour from household current to see how hot it would get, especially since I cut a portion of the heat sink off. It did get hot, but did not melt the housing. IMO completely enclosing this bulb would likely pose a fire hazard, so I chose not to modify the original lenses that came with underwater light.

I ran it for well over an hour from my Pathfinder rear seat accessory outlet, and had the stereo on / engine off.

I might think about installing some type of dimmer/switch directly into the cord. Not sure yet.

If I can, I'll take some night photos. NOt sure with the phone/camera deal...

Night photos-not so great...

My "Home made" light, next to HID fog lights:

My "Home made" light, HID's off:

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

Cool project,

You have reminded me to work on a under hood light for my Pathy.

It will probably be similar to yours except it will be triggered by a mercury switch.

Camelfilter

Chris.m wrote:Cool project,

You have reminded me to work on a under hood light for my Pathy.

It will probably be similar to yours except it will be triggered by a mercury switch.
Hey thanks!

Rather than a mercury switch, you might give a pushbutton type switch a look. I'd imagine you could find someplace to mount it up by where our hood latches.

I'm thinking something along the lines of one of these:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... TON/1.html

Not sure if that specific switch would work for this application, but you get the idea.

ltsnotme
Car: 1996 Pathfinder XE 4WD

Camelfilter wrote:

Not sure if that specific switch would work for this application, but you get the idea.
That's a momentary switch; you'd have to hold it down for the light to remain on (fyi).

Camelfilter

ltsnotme wrote:
Camelfilter wrote:

That's a momentary switch; you'd have to hold it down for the light to remain on (fyi).
I see. Perhaps a "Normally Closed" momentary switch might work in Chris M's application?

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

I wonder what the switch already there is, (the one that detects if the hood is up)?

It may be easier to tap into that or just pick up another from the junkyard so it would look OEM. :bigthumb:

ltsnotme

Camelfilter wrote:
I see. Perhaps a "Normally Closed" momentary switch might work in Chris M's application?
That could possibly work.
Chris.m wrote:
I wonder what the switch already there is, (the one that detects if the hood is up)?

It may be easier to tap into that or just pick up another from the junkyard so it would look OEM.
There's a switch that detects if your hood is up? I don't think my '96 has one.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

ltsnotme wrote:There's a switch that detects if your hood is up? I don't think my '96 has one.
Your '96 should - see the second diagram on this page.

ltsnotme

Towncivilian wrote:
ltsnotme wrote:There's a switch that detects if your hood is up? I don't think my '96 has one.
Your '96 should - see the second diagram on this page.
Yep. Not where the diagram shows it, but I do have it. And it is a simple NC momentary switch. Could be used to turn a light on.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”