HLSD for the altima coupe!

All things Altima Coupe.
mcheddadi
Car: R8

Ok this flyed under my radar, nissan released the Sentra SE-R and Sentra SE-R SpecV for 2007, 2008 and 2009. That we all know. but what I didn't know is that the SE-R has the SAME transaxle, SAME part number RS6F52A as the Altima coupe 6MT.

that fine and all but the Sentra SE-R SpecV also has the same transmission except one thing. it has a HELICAL LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL!!!! (HLSD)

Part number is RS6F52H for the 6MT HLSD equipped Sentra and RS6F52A for the non equipped one and ours.The only difference would be the final drives:4.428 for the SpecV and 4.133 for the Altima coupe.

But the interesting thing here is that you can basically swap the Differential case assembly of the SpecV to the Altima coupe !!!!!!

This opens up soo much for anyone who wants to track the altima coupe or just get the BEST handling from a FWD car.

I'm going to start look for Sentra SE-R SpecV differentials or busted transmissions on ebay so I can get that HLSD for cheap!
Modified by mcheddadi at 1:46 AM 2/10/2009

Hussain
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se CVT

will it also work with CVT altima coupes :hide

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

Damn Mehdi, you always sound just like a kid who's walked into the world's largest candy store when you discover a new part for our cars! haha

mcheddadi

Hussain wrote:will it also work with CVT altima coupes :hide
err NO lol
ESP wrote:Damn Mehdi, you always sound just like a kid who's walked into the world's largest candy store when you discover a new part for our cars! haha
I know hahaha! but this mods is sooo awesome. it's the difference between an awesome car and a GODLIKE car.

SSRALTI
Car: 08 Altima 3.5 SE 6MT Coupe w/premium package

Will this work on a 3.5?

mcheddadi

Yeah, the 6MT transmission is the same for the 2.5 and 3.5 altima coupe

mcheddadi

Ok I checked and the part number is 38411-B16U001http://www.courtesyparts.com/3....html

it's about 560$, I'm going to see how difficult it is to install this (If I'm lucky I'll only have to remove the transmission without the engine)

One Crazy Max
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 6MT

damn 4.428 compared to 4.133 is really short.

i kind of like the long gear ratios in the stock 6MT, and the final drive is great.

it will definately accelerate alot faster, thats for sure, but am i willing to lose top speed for LSD...maybe

another alternative though to look into is trying to fit the LSD from the 02-05 maximas.

mcheddadi

Yeah, but if I understood this correctly the HLSD doesn't have to be with the final drive gear of the sentra, I can just keep my final drive and just change the differential for the HLSD one. I'll go look for diagrams for this
Modified by mcheddadi at 1:19 AM 2/10/2009

psi101101
Car: 2009 altima coupe 2.5s

this works with CVT????

mcheddadi

I'm guessing no, cvt is another kind of transmission and needs a custom shaped differential for itself. this one is made to fit in the 6MT case. Gime a sec, I got the diagrams I needed and I'll show you guys.

mcheddadi

Our 6MT transmission ( RS6F52A )

The 07+ Sentra SE-R SpecV's transmission ( RS6F52H )

Here'sa differential map I've made to show you the parts that are different AKA the differential and the HLSD, notice that its a PERFECT fit.

Here is our differential In a 3D diagram (number 4)

Here is the HLSD differential In a 3D diagram (number 4)

The final gear can be swapped so we can keep our nice final gear ratios.

Guys , this , is, EPIC!!!!!111

mcheddadi

One Crazy Max wrote:damn 4.428 compared to 4.133 is really short.

i kind of like the long gear ratios in the stock 6MT, and the final drive is great.

it will definately accelerate alot faster, thats for sure, but am i willing to lose top speed for LSD...maybe

another alternative though to look into is trying to fit the LSD from the 02-05 maximas.
Nope it won't work, I checked and its not the same transmission housing for the LSD from the maximas. the parts won't fit. but anyways, now that we have a DIRECT fitting part from the Sentra, there's no problem haha!

And to think that the Sentra had a HLSD and we didn't, Nissan shame on you.

GreyZone
Car: AC 3.5 SE 6MT Dazling White

Ahhh, so here's the answer for torque steer with turbo!! LSD = ZERO torque steer!!

D-Roll
Car: 08 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe

An HLSD would be awesome! I had an 02 SpecV with the HLSD, and what a difference.

RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

i know i could google this . . . but you guys are sooooo good at putting this stuff in lamens terms . . .

whats does the HLSD ACTUALLY do??

psi101101
Car: 2009 altima coupe 2.5s

lol... the pictures mcheddaddi posted up ...im lost ...what we actually looking at.. IT DOES LOOK INTERESTING THOUGH

Forrest80
Car: 2.5 CVT Altima coupe azure blue

mcheddadi wrote:Ok this flyed under my radar, nissan released the Sentra SE-R and Sentra SE-R SpecV for 2007, 2008 and 2009. That we all know. but what I didn't know is that the SE-R has the SAME transaxle, SAME part number RS6F52A as the Altima coupe 6MT.

that fine and all but the Sentra SE-R SpecV also has the same transmission except one thing. it has a HELICAL LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL!!!! (HLSD)

Part number is RS6F52H for the 6MT HLSD equipped Sentra and RS6F52A for the non equipped one and ours.The only difference would be the final drives:4.428 for the SpecV and 4.133 for the Altima coupe.

But the interesting thing here is that you can basically swap the Differential case assembly of the SpecV to the Altima coupe !!!!!!

This opens up soo much for anyone who wants to track the altima coupe or just get the BEST handling from a FWD car.

I'm going to start look for Sentra SE-R SpecV differentials or busted transmissions on ebay so I can get that HLSD for cheap!

http://forums.altimas.org/zerothread?id=354825

change of heart?

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Whoa forrest a blast from the past, nice find...

@psi - that is a diagram of the 6mt tranmission housing

the other pictures are of the differential and the HLSD

D-Roll
Car: 08 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe

RobPaulson wrote:i know i could google this . . . but you guys are sooooo good at putting this stuff in lamens terms . . .

Both wheels spin when driving rather than 1 wheel spinning all of the time. Meaning when you burnout, you'll see 2 tire tracks instead of one

mcheddadi

RobPaulson wrote:i know i could google this . . . but you guys are sooooo good at putting this stuff in lamens terms . . .

The Ultimate Differential

The Helical LSD enables a car to accelerate more rapidly and corner faster. How?Simply by getting the power to the ground.

With an normal open differential, fitted as standard on most cars, much precious power is wasted through wheel spin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip - along the path of least resistance.

The Helical differential, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and automatically biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the unit biases greater power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The Helical differential also controls loss of traction when the drive wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The Helical LSD differential's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage, whether on the track or on the street.

The Helical differential is extremely strong and durable, and since it is gear-operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly and regular replacement. There is no maintenance required to the unit, so you can fit and forget.

The Helical differential is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the cars towards its limits.

The Helical differential is proven in everything from SCCA Rallying to drag racing and Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.

Expand your vehicle's limits with an Helical LSD Differential!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcSAiRxmm0w (this videos shows the benefit of having a HLSD, which is a type of torque sensing LSD, on a FWD car )

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

D-Roll wrote:
Both wheels spin when driving rather than 1 wheel spinning all of the time. Meaning when you burnout, you'll see 2 tire tracks instead of one
No, this not true, in our case an open differntial both wheels spin no matter what, with a limited slip diff, if one wheel looses traction then power is transferred to the wheel with grip.

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

spockrock wrote:
No, this not true, in our case an open differntial both wheels spin no matter what, with a limited slip diff, if one wheel looses traction then power is transferred to the wheel with grip.
This is what i was told when i purchased my car. Power is given evenly to both wheels. Both wheels power the car. On my neon 1 wheel powered the car.

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

dldjros69 wrote:
This is what i was told when i purchased my car. Power is given evenly to both wheels. Both wheels power the car. On my neon 1 wheel powered the car.
I think there is some confusion, with an open differential, both wheels spin the same, if you have a 3.5 with VDC it has an eLSD which tries to accomplish the same as an LSD where if one wheel spins then it transfers power to the wheel with grip.

power isn't going to just one wheel all the time, that would be bad, but but power goes to to one wheel when one wheel slips. So for cornering its good because as Mcheddadi mentioned that, when you take a corner hard your inside wheel actually lifts off the ground, then power is transferred to your outside wheel and while the power is the same, more of it is going to the ground.

Hussain

its been said that the older maximas have an LSD but it can not be fitted to our cars, what about the new maxima? its nissans 4dSP (4 door sports car) it should have one and if it does, it should work for the CVT guys right? since the 09 maximas are all CVT with a VQ35DE and built on the "D" platform. can someone check if they have an LSD and if it would work for the CVT guys

mcheddadi

I'll go check !

Hussain

one site i looked at said the maxima doesnt have a LSD..... hopefully that site was wrong and it does have one and it will work with the CVT guys

mcheddadi

mcheddadi wrote:I'll go check !
Ok here's what I found for you CVT guys

The CVT for the ALTIMA 07-08 2.5L is codenamed RE0F10A and it's basicly a JATCO transmission (codename: JF011E)and the CVT for the 3.5L is codenamed RE0F09B and is also JATCO built transmission (codename: JF010E)

here's a diagram from the 3.5L CVT http://www.automaticchoice.com...a.pdf

you can see that the differential looks exactly like the one we have on the 6MT. so there's hope that you cvt guys could benefit from the HLSD, since it could fit, But I don't know how that would work with the CVT.

the cvt for the 2.5L on the other hand, well there is NO chance it can work at all since its a unit shared by Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Chrysler and Nissan ( http://www.automaticchoice.com...e.pdf ), and it's not the same size (I've checked the FSM's cross-view diagram)

for anyone who wants more here's an indepth look at how the cvt works (the smaller cvt transmission from the 2.5) http://www.gearsmagazine.com/i...8.pdfh ... /i...4.pdf

RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

ok well mcheddadi that was an A+ writeup of what the HLSD actually does.

why's this gota be such an expensive part!!!! it sounds like so much fun . . . but if i do anything with $500 its going in a savings account for my Ti-C . . . deng limited funds =(

mcheddadi

Ok so if the tranny swap is like the ones the maximas do I dont need to remove the engine

only the wheels, the front driver side axel, then the exhaust, the starter, the slave clutch cylinder, the air intake, the battery , the I got access to the tranny. I just emailed jimwolftechnology to know if they have a compatible clutch upgrade or flywheel upgrade since It'll be easily accessible with the tranny out . I'm going to try it out when it get hotter and the snow melts away.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”